The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: The no topic thread
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:45 am 

So let's try this one then...
The train is breaking or accelerating. Exactly in the moment of the bullet leaving the gun in my previous example the train is doing 750 mph. What do you need to adjust in the math to evaluate the previous example?

Prediction: Hunters will get this right. Math wizzards will overthink it!

Have fun!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:25 am 

odman wrote:
What do you need to adjust in the math to evaluate the previous example?

A beer? :D

"Ya'll are the funkiest mutha's in the universe." - Bootsy Collins (in the Pantheon Theater)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:33 am 

odman wrote:
So let's try this one then...
The train is breaking or accelerating. Exactly in the moment of the bullet leaving the gun in my previous example the train is doing 750 mph. What do you need to adjust in the math to evaluate the previous example?

Prediction: Hunters will get this right. Math wizzards will overthink it!

Have fun!

I'll take a whack at it without the beer... Being neither a hunter nor a math wizard, this is little more than a guess... but I would think the person holding the gun would shift with the acceleration/deceleration and it would not change the original equation, however if the person was fixed to the train somehow then you would need to adjust it with a variable of how fast/slow the accel/deceleration was to calculate how far the bullet dropped forward/backwards. So, how'd I do?

Also not being a spelling wizzard, there is one "z" in that word. heh

p.s. Having fun!

"Ya'll are the funkiest mutha's in the universe." - Bootsy Collins (in the Pantheon Theater)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:44 pm 

LIRR wrote:
so craving some rack of lamb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:DROOL: Oh man I have never made a rack of lamb. I really should try it some time. I have loved it at restaurants, and it's not like I'm short on lamb meat :lol:
Got a good recipe you wanna share? Or better yet come show me how to make it? :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:53 pm 

serk wrote:
LIRR wrote:

:DROOL: Oh man I have never made a rack of lamb. I really should try it some time. I have loved it at restaurants, and it's not like I'm short on lamb meat :lol:
Got a good recipe you wanna share? Or better yet come show me how to make it? :)

Don't even try!

So are you thinking about differential equations? Hint: The bullet leaves the muzzle at an instant in time where the speed (=derivative of acceleration) is the same as the bullet. Think!!! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:44 pm 

The answer lies in the wording of the qwestion... a gun aiming backwards is not good to the person holding it, no matter what speed the train is traveling... I was just hoping someone else knew that too, and would post it... thanks for the brain teaser, odman!

-audioMathIsWhackyAndPeaceful :NINJA:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:21 pm 

odman wrote:
serk wrote:
LIRR wrote:

Don't even try!

So are you thinking about differential equations? Hint: The bullet leaves the muzzle at an instant in time where the speed (=derivative of acceleration) is the same as the bullet. Think!!! :)

hahahahaha I have absolutely no desire to think about differential equations. pretty much ever. and no topic = random crap by my definition. ya know tho, it seems like more than a few interested posters would play a math/logic/physics/whatever-you'd-call-that game thread if you started one...

so go play your mind games there, man! ya! ;)

mmmmmmm sweeeeeeet laaaaaaammmmmmmbbbbbbb :DROOL:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:27 pm 

...first base, BugsBunny... second base, BugsBunny... :P

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:11 pm 

Answer:
The observer would see a crazed Viking shooting a gun wildly off the back of a train with his camera in his other hand filming it.

He would hear gunshots and shouts of "MUZZLE VELOCITY, DIFFERENTIAL EQUAAaaaationssss".
:mrgreen:

Explicative Affirmative

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:11 pm 

oh gosh. you people make me verklempt.

The time of the bullet exiting is infinitesimal and in the infinitely small instant in time of exit the speed is constant. It's derivative already so you don't need any diff. It changes nothing. What does change is when you look at the train that is actually accelerating. If you for instance wanted to aim forward and figure out how much the train would need to accelerate for you to be able to shoot yourself in the foot, you would need a differential equation.
(Would be very complex with air resistance, angle, gravity and stuff...)

I think I'll join Serk instead and chomp down on some lamb. Got any leftovers?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:44 pm 

This has been the forums version of .... "when the bullet hits the bone"... sponsored by the words math and baaaaahahahahaha...

-audioGoldenEarsRinginginginginginging...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:59 pm 

The lamb bone is connected to the trombone :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:15 am 

audionaut wrote:
The lamb bone is connected to the trombone :D

I like this :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:51 am 

serk wrote:
LIRR wrote:

Yes & yes [fallfest]!

so take a filet knife & poke it thru the center of the chop on the rack, going all they way thru it, spin the knife making a hole in the center, pull the knife out,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,take "roasted red peppers"{roasted yourself is better, lightly coat peppers w/ olive oil, salt & pepper, put in a 350' over, cook to charred, place in a bowl & cover w/ plastic wrapped til cool, peel & deseed}, fresh mozz & fresh rosemary,,,,stuff them into the slit you made in the chops [over stuff is better then under stuffing],,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,paper towel dry the lamb, make sure its dry as this is the key to getting a great crust{on any thing b it chix or fish}, then chop up a bunch of fresh rosemary,sea salt & fresh ground pepper& coat the lamb heavy,,,,,
,,,,,,,,,get a sautee pan very hot, then add olive oil [its key 2 get the pan hot b4 u add the oil, so the oil don't burn], then brown the chop on all sides,,,finish in a 350' oven to temp,,,we love rare to mid-rare about 10mins
,,,,,,,,while the chops are in the oven, take the sautee pan deglaze w/ balsamic vin[use like a 1/4 cup & just let it reduce til it becomes like a syrup,,,,,when the chops come out of the oven, take the pan drippings & put them into the sautee pan, add butter, reduce,,,,
,,,let chops rest for like 5-10mins, cut,,,serve
,,,,,i to go w/ the chops i really love make "sun-dried tomato mash potatoes { basically chop of some SDT that have been saoking in some warm water,,,add them to your mashers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:20 am 

oh man, thanks! She's on the road today and tomorrow (picking up another ram!), but she will definitely be happy to see this. :CLAP:

I suspect I'll be eating lamb soon. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next