The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wifi/Internet on da boat
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:29 pm 

Yes yes yes I know and firmly believe that JC is all about unplugging and freeing ourselves of this thing called the real world. However, the real world this year includes my beautiful wife who is 7 months pregnant with our first child and obviously can't make the trip. (By this time next year we'll hopefully have the grandparents scheduled to come in for a week-long babysitting visit!....but I digress....)....Anyways, she is cool with me going with our crew...Kind of a last stand before I become a daddy. So the purpose of this thread is to see what experience yall have had using internet on the boat. I of course want to check in with her daily (if not a couple times a day), to make sure she is OK and all is well. From what I've read there is a 24 hr internet cafe and some Wifi available, both of which cost $$. Just trying to figure out the best way to keep in touch with her AND to enable her to get in contact with me ASAP if need be. Money isnt really an issue given the importance of being sure she is OK. Just want to have the best communication plans/strategy possible. Thoughts? Suggestions? Tips? Comments?

Thanks folks!
:D :D :D :D :D

Post subject: Re: Wifi/Internet on da boat
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:30 pm 

Quote:
From what I've read there is a 24 hr internet cafe and some Wifi available, both of which cost $$.

This is correct :) They cost $$, but they work (weather dependent, as it is satellite internet service). I haven't used it myself so I can't speak to speed etc but I have friends who have successfully used both options.

Also, if you happen to be one of those high-roller Yacht Club peeps, you get free wifi access 8)

Congrads on the little one! And on the AWESOME wife!!! 8) :CLAP:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:26 pm 

serk wrote:
Quote:
From what I've read there is a 24 hr internet cafe and some Wifi available, both of which cost $$.

This is correct :) They cost $$, but they work (weather dependent, as it is satellite internet service). I haven't used it myself so I can't speak to speed etc but I have friends who have successfully used both options.

Also, if you happen to be one of those high-roller Yacht Club peeps, you get free wifi access 8)

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:01 pm 

There's also a ship phone # she can call for emergencies. Also $$$, but if she needs to get you before you check your mail, it is there for peace of mind. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:13 am 

Tai wrote:
There's also a ship phone # she can call for emergencies. Also $$$, but if she needs to get you before you check your mail, it is there for peace of mind. :)

Sounds good....forgot about that. Thanks man.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:30 pm 

serk wrote:
Quote:

Maybe this means you just need to make friends with a yacht clubber. :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:04 pm 

Hillary wrote:
serk wrote:
Quote:

Maybe this means you just need to make friends with a yacht clubber. :D

Very very very good point Hillary! I dig your style. Free heady beers/cocktails on me to any yacht clubbers out there who want to lend a hand!!! Hugs, smiles, back rubs, etc. also included!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:11 pm 

The Internet cafe isn't too bad as you pay by the minute. Slow but fine for a quick check of email . Never tried the WiFi as it was prohibitively expensive and dreadfully slow by all accounts I've heard.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:12 pm 

My AT&T cellphone worked all the time the entire cruise.5 bars in jamroom,5 bars on thepooldeck,5 bars in my cabin.Two years ago A.B. and I called august from the jamroom but he didn't pick up.Bastard.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:00 pm 

Not sure which cell carrier you have, but texting through Verizon is very reasonable, IMHO. Costs $0.50 to send and 0.05 to receive. I have never had a problem receiving texts (even in the Saharah desert). Worked well on a recent Carnival cruise as well.
A big advantage of text vs internet is you can receive at any time. No need to try to take time out to log on somewhere/sometime.

Lisa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:37 am 

longhairedfreak007 wrote:
My AT&T cellphone worked all the time the entire cruise.5 bars in jamroom,5 bars on thepooldeck,5 bars in my cabin.Two years ago A.B. and I called august from the jamroom but he didn't pick up.Bastard.

Did you get an international call plan? I wonder what the cost of the phone call and any data is?

I have my phone with me on the boat at all times, but leave it in airplane mode. Clock, phone, backup schedule......

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:33 am 

Data and phone calls will be expensive, I bet. Once again, check your carrier about texts. I found it to be very reasonable even without international calling plan. Don't put in airplane mode but absolutely turn off your data. You can receive texts and not answer if you get a phone call.

JammmmmmmCruise!
See y'all in a few short weeks,

Lisa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:48 pm 

It's like 10 bucks a minute.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:08 pm 

JustBob wrote:
longhairedfreak007 wrote:

Did you get an international call plan? I wonder what the cost of the phone call and any data is?

I have my phone with me on the boat at all times, but leave it in airplane mode. Clock, phone, backup schedule......

Bob

I think I'm trying to avoid phone calls altogether, unless of course my wife calls me with an emergency. Phone is probably the most expensive. From what I am reading it sounds like wireless and/or internet cafe will be the way to go, albeit slow. Really just needing to know she is OK and let her know I am as well. Yacht club peeps please holler if you can spare some free wifi access. I'll bring the cocktails!!

Why cant we be on the boat already??!!! What is this Christmas thing everyone keeps talking about??!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:13 pm 

Quote:
Why cant we be on the boat already??!!! What is this Christmas thing everyone keeps talking about??!!

AMEN!