The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Jam in the Dam
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:47 am 

schwarzcat wrote:
We are shopping flights right now. It is on the table. We may work it out.

yay! me too. British Airways has a sale going on if you don't mind a Heathrow layover, FYI.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:10 pm 

For $3000, I would think the lineup would be much more intense. I never knew this festival existed until last year but was so focused on Jam Cruise I didn't pay it any mind. But is it a simple line-up like this every year? Cause, $3000 is a lot. Is it worth every penny like Jam Cruise is?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:12 pm 

Well, a fair chunk of that is the air fare. And the dollar to euro conversion.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:26 pm 

You get less music (and also lesser quality imo) but you do get to spend some real quality time abroad. Amserdam is seriously one of the most beautiful cities out there and depending on your time and budget Europe is easy to explore a little further once you shell out the cash to go over there.

All that being said, I am not a good person to judge whether or not it's worth the cash since I am from Germany and have other means of seeing Europe that JitD and we all have other means of seeing great music live.

Bob Marley

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:06 pm 

serk wrote:
bumpity

really? no other cruisers are going this year? cmon chime in, anyone else? :?

I'm in. I won my tickets through a raffle that Josh Phillips put on (and he is still doing several more so you should get in touch with him), and I have a flight credit through AAA that I need to use. I don't really see myself being able to get to Europe for an extended trip anytime this year, so I may as well use the flight credit on this. With the festival and flight ticket covered, I can swing this.

Anyone have any recommendations on where to stay? I would prefer something kinda cheap but not a shithole and walking distance to the venue. I guess walking distance to other attractions (museums, brewery, etc) isn't a big deal because renting bikes is the way to go, right?

Also, what's up with the canal cruises? Are they worth doing? What are some of the must-see/do and stay away things that I should know about?

Hope to see some of you there!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:25 pm 

lightfire4 wrote:
For $3000, I would think the lineup would be much more intense. I never knew this festival existed until last year but was so focused on Jam Cruise I didn't pay it any mind. But is it a simple line-up like this every year? Cause, $3000 is a lot. Is it worth every penny like Jam Cruise is?

Just for the record I looked into this further after my $3000 guess. it would only cost me about $2400. And that for a nice hotel by myself. Lesser accomadations or more people and you would be at $2000 or less.

I still can't do it though. I'd rather spend $1000 - $1200 and do Wanee.

The Dam thrill is fading. We have 'coffee' shops in the US now. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:26 pm 

Heh, we've been watching those drawings. Very fun, congrats :) I got a buddy entered today in the hopes he and his gf can join us too.

We don't know where we're staying yet, we're waiting to see where some other friends are plunking down. The past times we've been to Amsterdam we walked or rode the bus. Everything was fairly close. Bikes work, but watch the trolley cars :) We were in the center those times, and I am not sure where the concert venue is.

I liked the canal cruise, seems worth doing once just to get the ride around. My favorite museum was the Rijksmuseum, all the huge Rembrandt's are amazing. The Red Light District at night was a trip. Check out the Smart Shops. Just walking around the back streets is cool. Other things I seem to remember was that a lot of the coffee bars don't allow cigarette smoking, and that the locals don't like having their pictures taken.

Last edited by Tai on Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:33 pm 

I am sure the 'official' canal cruise offered by JitD is fun cause you will have an open bar boat tour of the city with a bunch of laid back people. All other tourist tours you see on the water while milling around town will turn you off for sure, as you can imagine. Think average age 65+.

You should be able to find plenty of cheapish hotels in Amsterdam close to the venue, especially if you are willing to go without a private bath. Renting an apartment might be the way to go if you can get together a big enough group to make it worth while. If you want to go really cheap there is always the option of camping. The Melkweg is fairly close to what you'd call downtown Amsterdam, so most attractions are an easy walk from there. Bikes are the way to get around, but only needed if you want to go somewhere further out. I love just hiking around in the city, and in 45 minutes to an hour you can cross pretty much the whole city center on foot easily. If you do opt for a bike, I'd recommend not to go to the huge places right inside the central station - the bikes are easily recognizable meaning everybody and there mother will know you're a stupid tourist while you're on them.

Aside from walking around and taking in the general atmosphere of the town there are several great museums if you are into art, the Ann Frank house (which always has huge lines, so I never went in my dozen or so times I've been to Amsterdam), the Botanic Garden, Heineken Brewery (another popular one I never did), etc. If you have some extra days (and if the weather is nice enough) I would recommend exploring the surrounding area a little. The IJsselmeer is just a short bike ride out (not the big damn, but the lake) and the North Sea can easily be reached with public transportation within half an hour or so. Of course in Europe it is also easy to venture out a little further and go visit places in another country. Paris, Brussels, Hamburg, Berlin, Cologne, Copenhagen, etc. all would be easily reachable in a couple of hours.

Bob Marley

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:40 pm 

SalmonHead wrote:
lightfire4 wrote:

Just for the record I looked into this further after my $3000 guess. it would only cost me about $2400. And that for a nice hotel by myself. Lesser accomadations or more people and you would be at $2000 or less.

I still can't do it though. I'd rather spend $1000 - $1200 and do Wanee.

The Dam thrill is fading. We have 'coffee' shops in the US now. 8)

We are doing this for under $3000* for the two of us combined. But I don't need the ritzy hotel, and I'm not planning on spending any extra time in the city. :)

* not including Tai's beer budget

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:22 pm 

We have tix for JITD, but havent bought our plane tix. We did JITD in 2008 and had a blast. This year we are spending extra time in europe and are touring a little of Belgium and Germany.

In amsterdam we are staying at hotel weber. It is a boutique hotel within very close walking distance to the melkweg and includes breakfast every morning.

Personally, i walk around amsterdam or take the trolley(tram) around. Being on a bike in that city is very scary for me. Being a pedestrian is hard enough. Look out for trams, cars, bikes, and people on the move.

The area of the melkweg is very cool. The leidesplein (sp) is a great square with restaurants, shopping, cool bars, and a couple of coffeeshops. All of downtown amstrerdam is easy to walk around in. and public transportation is a snap.

Have fun and see ya there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:10 am 

Bier Stein wrote:
Being on a bike in that city is very scary for me. Being a pedestrian is hard enough. Look out for trams, cars, bikes, and people on the move.

That's exactly what I was trying to convey although poorly - you are expected to be on your toes and not in a daze =)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:12 am 

Sharon, you should skip jitd and come to Negril with me and matt over Thanksgiving. For the same amount of money you can have music on an ipod, all the beverages you can drink and a week in the pristine sand of Jamaica.. and a nice man that walks the beach will make sure all your needs are taken care of.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:21 am 

Fixed...

serk wrote:
We are doing this for under $3000* for the two of us combined. But I don't need the ritzy hotel, and I'm not planning on spending any extra time in the city. :)

* not including Tai's beer budget

:lol: :lol:

Naw just kidding around. I know this can be done for WAY cheaper than $2400. I would add a night, get a $150 hotel room for 4 days, fly non-stop, and try to out drink tai. :lol: And of course you know how I love coffee. And novelty. :D

Edit: forgot about the red light district. Bump that estimate back up to $3,000 & color me a little re-interested. That was a long brain fart on my part. Like 3 weeks long...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:27 am 

Just remember to keep me out of the tatoo parlors :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:13 pm 

I just wanted to share with you all the glorious moment when your good buddy, John Duncan, won his JitD tickets. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFtclItkoiA