The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Interactions with the Musicians
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:39 pm 

It will be interesting to see how much different he acts then the other musicians... but my hope is that we are such great people and fans that Jam Cruise even changes him!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE any opportunity to remind you all of the rules! WATCH THIS and you will KNOW what Jam Cruise IS NOT ABOUT! http://sixthman.tv/video/1466AB5DA5/sixthmans-fan-interaction-advice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:58 pm 

LAF!!! That video is hilarious :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:22 pm 

I'd like to share my first musician interaction on the first cruise I did. JC 4 I believe.

I had seen the most amazing set w/ Luther Dickenson, JJ Grey, and Stanton Moore. A lot of you were there from the names I see and can admit that was a magic moment that can only happen on the boat. Anyways....

Later that night, I was at one of the 7th floor nightclub/bar places watching the New Master Sounds sitting at the bar and I look to my left and there was Luther from North Miss All Stars. I had just seen them perform in St.Louis at the Voo Doo and there were up for best new blues album. I met the band there and they were totally cool, but weren't partying. They were under strict good behavior rules because of the Grammy nomination.

I looked at him on the next stool and remembered that stellar trio performance from earlier and said, "Hi Luther, I just saw you in St.Louis not to long ago. Where is the rest of the band?" He looked me in the face and said, "I'm not a musician." I looked at him again and felt a little stupid for confusing this guy with Luther, when I realized it was him. So I said something like, well right on man, sorry, but I got your drift. He smiled at me and said "Cheers man, thank you". Point taken. I think if I had some titties or was "shakin that ass", as he says all the time we might have spoke longer.

I also asked Donna Jean for a picture on that cruise before Zero took the stage and she kinda spazzed. But that was my bad. It was right before the show and she was busy. I was in the wrong, but my brain was yelling, "That's Donna Jean!" (I am a Dead Head) Do realize where she has been and who she sang with? Elvis, Percey Sledge, Grateful Dead. Say what you want about her, but on that boat, she was the biggest name that year.

Karl D is pretty friendly when he is walking about. So was Michael Franti. Hot buttered rum was about the friendliest band I ever met. Just like YMSB.

That was my first cruise. I have been on four going on 5. I never even tried to speak to the musicians after that Luther incident unless it was being polite. As in, can I buy you a drink, or, do want some of this?

Last edited by Eric the Piercer on Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:46 pm 

First Jam Cruise we sat down for dinner with a few other folks. One guy, Ryan, mentions that he plays in a band and that they recently had a gig in Minnesota (where my friends are from). We say, "Oh that's great! good for you. What's your band?" He says, "Umphries McGee" I say, "Ooooh....you're THAT Ryan!" I felt stupid, but we all laughed about it. Ryan remembered my husband and me and came up to talk to us after the cruise at a small show in Chicago (he even remembered our names!).

Just after that convo, Ivan Neville sat down to join us for din din too. Good times.

On that same cruise, we also dined with members of Bonerama, shared drinks Shorty and the band, etc.

Lots of opportunities for interaction. All laid back and fun! Enjoy--You're gonna have a blast!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:16 pm 

Sharon..you should post your picture of Karl making flowers with you!!!

Karl is the nicest most kind musician on the boat, second only to George that is! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:58 pm 

MissAslan wrote:
It will be interesting to see how much different he acts then the other musicians... but my hope is that we are such great people and fans that Jam Cruise even changes him!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE any opportunity to remind you all of the rules! WATCH THIS and you will KNOW what Jam Cruise IS NOT ABOUT! http://sixthman.tv/video/1466AB5DA5/sixthmans-fan-interaction-advice

OMG you just made me laugh with that video...

Nice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:22 pm 

lunch with the Col!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:31 pm 

So I was hangin on the pool deck making tissue paper flowers while we were docked at Cayman last year (not long after the infamous "cool socks" incident). Karl & Debra came by and asked for one for a wedding bouquet for the Jam Cruise Wedding that night. They hung around and chatted while I made one:

Then Karl went and walked around doing interviews with his flower:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5aJcqvDvpc

:) 8)

if I remember correctly, ludlow66 was sitting across the table from me there when that pic was taken too :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:16 pm 

Ah the stars... I've been hanging with them, drinking with them, joking with them, diving with them... they are everywhere!
Sure some are more into hanging than others, or probably like the rest of us, they have times when they feel more or less social.
Think about it this way: The artists at JC are good enough that they can play any gig they want. They all know that they will be stuck on a boat with their fans for five days. Now, if they didn't enjoy being close to their fans, why would they do JC at all?
For the artists, JC is a forum to play with each other in new constellations as well as hanging with fans when they feel like it.
For better or worse, most times you will find that they're just like you. They just happen to be damn good at playing music!
Knut