Okay, I'm *really* down with Felix's list, he's obviously thought about it and has so many gems in there. Sadly, if that's the lineup, I suspect my entire cruise will be one massive conflict.
Have they considered installing an express pod tube that shoots you from one end of the ship to the other? Maybe on the outside of deck 7?
There's only a few bands on there that I haven't heard of (blue) and now that Felix has recommended them I'm off to learn about them.
Red are shows I'd have to make somehow.
OK - so this is a well crafted list, so you better take it serious. I went for diversity of styles, I went for a mix of old and new talent, I went for a mix that fits the various venues on the cruise and I went with artists that I feel can contribute to the cruise through more than just their two sets.
I am back on the boat next year after a two year hiatus, so I am antsy. I expect my wish-list to come true.
I am rarely interested in what are considered the headliners, but there are two bands I would like to see on JC 11 that would fit that category:Warren Haynes Band
- Cause it's just so much more soulful and interesting than Mule (don't get me wrong, I like Mule alright). These would be two truly great shows, but the real advantage is who would come onto the boat with him. Ron Holloway, Ruthie Forster, Ron Johnson, Terence Higgins? Nigel of course, but he will be on the boat anyway. And if you want to get some idea of what he can do with some serious sit-ins, get the show from the 2011 Jazz Fest.
Tedeschi Trucks Band - Derek and Susan might not be jumping from one stage to the next, but they will bring two beautiful performances. And again, look at the big picture and think about who will be in tow: Oteil and Kofi Burbridge. These guys like to play. The two drummers are great. The horn section is fantastic (and man, in any case we do need some Maurice Brown on board. That cat can play the trumpet like nobody else I've ever seen live).Air
- The most jazzed out electronica I know. Plus, we get some more European musicians Beats Antique
- Cool music, sexy show. What's not to like?Bela Fleck
- Original Flecktones, new Flecktones (with Jeff Coffin), any other project we can come up with. Musical genius should be celebrated, and this is as close as it gets. We are blessed to have a lot of great talent in our scene, but I don't see anybody in the same sphere as Bela!Bobby Rush
- Cool music, sexy show. What's not to like? (but oh so different than Beats Antique in almost every way imaginable
)The Budos Band
- More raw party sound than Antibalas, perfect for the boat imhoBreakestra
- Bear Creek made it happen, so now we know they can travel. Calexico
- This band is so hard to categorize, which makes it fit perfectly on this line-upCharles Bradley
- Neo-Soul from Daptones Records, how could you go wrong?Cornmeal
- Bluegrass party anybody?Dr Lonnie Smith
- I already said all I have to say about Dr Lonnie and his Trio.Dumpstaphunk
- I really like where this band is heading with the addition of Nikki Gillespie on drumsGreyboy Allstars
- I am going back and forth whether the Greyboys or the Tiny Universe are my favorite Karl project. I really like where KDTU are heading with DJ Williams on guitar, but (a) they've been on this year, and (b) Greyboys are just so damn hard to see live these days
Jeff Coffin & Mu'tet - I like Jeff, he's a great person to have on the cruise. This band is tight. The real treat would be to have Felix Pastorius on board.Galactic
- FixturesKyle Hollingsworth Band
- dropped out this year, should be on next. Oh yes, we do want Garrett Sayers back, please?
Horace Andy - I love Toots on record, but his voice is gone. Burning Spear back would also be great, or the Abyssinnians, or the Mighty Diamonds. Just don't get a John Brown's Body type band while we still have some of the original legends alive and touring. <-- Please heed this adviceLettuce
- it's where it's atLondon Souls
- Great classic power trio sound. Need some rock.Medeski, (Scofield,) Martin & Wood
- I'd go with one trio and one quartet show, pleaseNew Mastersounds
- Have they finally earned indispensable status?North Mississippi Allstars
- Need electric washboardPreservation Hall Jazz Band
- After 50 years, haven't they earned a vacation in the sun? Seriously though, these are some world class musicians. Would be worth it for a collaboration with Warren's band to play St James Infirmary alone.Punch Brothers
- Chris Thile is like Bela Fleck's reincarnation on the mandolin. It would be amazing to have them both on the boat togetherSnarky Puppy
- with everybody in this video please http://youtu.be/RluNrXjP3zY
Artists at large
Donal Harrison Jr
George Porter Jr - (assuming no repeat of the Runnin' Pardners)
Skerik & Mike D - Can't leave 'em behind.
DJ Shadow - Late night, on the pool deck
DJ Questlove (and ask him to bring some drum sticks, too)
A man can dream
Stanley Clarke Band (with Lenny White)
Rodrigo y Gabriela
Thievery Corporation (live band)
are any of these guys realistic? Man, would that be great.