Hope you’re rather well and that you’re having a great week so far! The last two weeks were busy for live music in Reno, Sparks and the Crystal Bay Club! Two weeks ago Greensky Bluegrass and Grant’s Farm (featuring Tyler Grant, the flatpicking expert from the Drew Emmitt and Emmitt-Nershi Bands) blew up the CBC! Delta Nove and the Big Bad Boogie Monsters (a new bluesy band from Reno) did the same at Club Underground. It would be nice to see Delta Nove around here much more often!
Last week started off with a bang as the Casual Dogs played a wonderful birthday party for 3 year old Ben Bertrand at the gorgeous River School in Reno. Perfect weather, great food, cool people and a real nice sunset (my camera added almost all the color and all of the black and white in the pix)!
The March Fourth Marching Band/Diego’s Umbrella/Buster Blue show at the Knitting Factory was epic! March Fourth is so much fun visually (stilt acrobatics, flaggers, dancers, hoopers, colorful outfits and hats) and aurally (some wild combo of funk, jazz, rock, ska, klezmer and marching tunes) that I’m surprised they’re not illegal! Diego’s Umbrella’s gypsy/rock/ska isn’t far behind! I think they played more rolling around on the stage than standing up!
Formerly Known As, a Prince tribute band from Reno, was most excellent (again) at Studio on Fourth. I just wish a slew more people would show up for their shows. I’ll do a better job hyping them further in advance next time. Ditto for Dad’s LPs, who tore it up at Great Basin Brewery. The rock band consists of Jay Seals (guitar/vocals, from Blue Turtle Seduction), John “Knuckles” Morales (drums/vocals, from Ten Mile Tide), Chris Twomey (bass/vocals, from 2Me) and Andrew Harris (lead guitar). Dad’s LPs will play for free outside at Great Basin during the farmer’s market on June 21.
I still haven’t dealt with the numerous March Fourth and Diego’s Umbrella pix, but pix of the rest of those bands are linked below. Please check out each page, as the best pix and crowd shots are quite often on the last pages. Please also click “Like” at the top of them if you're on Facebook! Very much appreciate it!
* GREENSKY BLUEGRASS @ CRYSTAL BAY CLUB, CRYSTAL BAY, NV 4/25/12 - http://www.musicphotographics.com/green ... .12_p1.htm
, http://www.musicphotographics.com/green ... .12_p2.htm
, http://www.musicphotographics.com/green ... .12_p3.htm
, http://www.musicphotographics.com/green ... .12_p4.htm
* CASUAL DOGS / BEN BERTRAND'S BIRTHDAY PARTY / GORGEOUS SUNSET / FLOWERS @ RIVER SCHOOL, RENO, NV 4/29/12 - http://musicphotographics.com/casual_do ... .12_p1.htm
& THE NEXT 5 PAGES (BAND>CROWD>SUNSET>FLOWERS)
* BUSTER BLUE @ KNITTING FACTORY, RENO, NV 5/3/12 - http://musicphotographics.com/buster_bl ... .12_p1.htm
, http://musicphotographics.com/buster_bl ... .12_p2.htm
* DELTA NOVE @ CLUB UNDERGROUND, RENO, NV - http://musicphotographics.com/delta_nov ... .12_p1.htm
, http://musicphotographics.com/delta_nov ... .12_p2.htm
, http://musicphotographics.com/delta_nov ... .12_p3.htm
, http://musicphotographics.com/delta_nov ... .12_p4.htm
* GRANT FARM @ CRYSTAL BAY CLUB 4/25/12 - http://www.musicphotographics.com/grant ... .12_p1.htm
, http://www.musicphotographics.com/grant ... .12_p2.htm
, http://www.musicphotographics.com/grant ... .12_p3.htm
* DAD'S LPs @ GREAT BASIN BREWERY, SPARKS, NV 5/5/12 - http://musicphotographics.com/dads_lps_ ... .12_p1.htm
, http://musicphotographics.com/dads_lps_ ... .12_p2.htm
* BIG BAD BOOGIE MONSTER @ CLUB UNDERGROUND, RENO, NV 4/26/12 - http://musicphotographics.com/big_bad_b ... .12_p1.htm
, http://musicphotographics.com/big_bad_b ... .12_p2.htm
* FORMERLY KNOWN AS @ STUDIO ON 4TH, RENO, NV 3/9/12 - http://musicphotographics.com/formerly_ ... .12_p1.htm
, http://musicphotographics.com/formerly_ ... .12_p2.htm
NEW SHOWS - http://www.musicphotographics.com/live_ ... lendar.htm
* MICKEY HART BAND (7/1 - FREE!)
* MACEO PARKER (7/31 - FREE!)
* JJ CADY (5/8)
* WHITNEY MYER BAND (5/9)
* ON THE SPOT TRIO / MARK SEXTON BAND (5/31)
* YOUNG DUBLINERS (5/31, 6/1, 6/2)
* DAVID LINDLEY (6/1)
* KEYSER SOZE (6/1, 6/15)
* CHRIS WEBSTER/TRACY WALTON/BILL EDWARDS (6/2)
* THE WAILERS (6/6)
* DEAD WINTER CARPENTERS (6/9, 7/12)
* THE BROTHERS COMATOSE (6/15)
* BOUNCE FESTIVAL (6/15)
* CHRIS CAIN BAND / LAURIE MORVAN BAND (6/19)
* DAD'S LPs (6/21)
* INDIGO GIRLS / SHADOWBOXERS (6/22)
* THE MACHINE (PINK FLOYD TRIBUTE) (6/23)
* LAKE TAHOE REGGAE FEST (6/30)
* DEL MCCOURY BAND / THE PRESERVATION HALL JAZZ BAND (7/15)
* REV. HORTON HEAT / SUPERSUCKERS / GODDAMN GALLOWS (7/17)
* SAM BUSH (7/21)
* JIMMY THACKERY & THE DRIVERS (8/7)
* MOTHER HIPS (8/18)
* WILLIE NELSON (9/24)
I’m seriously looking forward to the first Dead Winter Carpenters show at the Freight House District on 5/17 and Fruition the next night at the CBC!
Have a superb week and Mother’s Day!
Peace, love and hippieness,