The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie on board!! All guidence is is most appreciated!!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:25 pm 

Hello everyone!

I am embarking on this journey on my own (I have a wonderful cabin mate that I met on this forum and I don't want to be a tag along the whole trip as she will have her peps on board too.) I have never been on a cruise and let alone doing it alone!
I am beginning to pack and prepare myself for all that I dream of Jam Cruise will be!! I have wanted to
go on this since its inception and every year something has gotten in the way and this year I realized
that waiting on others to join me is unfair to me. So... away I go to dance upon the big puddle! I am
an avid funk lover and I am thrilled beyond belief!! I have ready everything on this forum, every google
item I can find I still don't feel prepared.

Like I said... any guidance is most appreciated!!!

Theme night?? Help me understand... there a the official, unofficial, zebra, and then the doubling up a few of them that could be unofficial prom and such... I as a girl... I am getting ready to pack my entire wardrobe to be prepared for whatever comes my way. Yes, totally impractical so what is really going on and how should prepare??

Am I allowed to bring on my vitamins and my prescription medication? I normally keep everything in one big jar as I know them all by shape and size. Do I have to bring each bottle?

Does it get cold at night on the ship? I assume that it must because we are in the middle of the ocean?? What type of warm weather gear should I bring? I know it rains. Does the deck get slippery?

I know the boat will metaphorically be rocking :DANCE: but does it actually rock to the point that it is hard to dance or walk around?

I have heard about the unofficial guide to JC. Is there anything given out that will tell all the schedules and a layout of the ship and anything else that is necessary to know?

Don't laugh at me as I will know a few people on the ship but traveling alone... is it easy to make friends? I am very independent and do well on my own however, I also love having friends by me and I am outgoing once I am comfortable but can be a little shy at first. :)

This has been beaten to death... food? I am a fishetarian. Is is OK to eat seafood on the boat? Is room service included in the price? Is there wine on the ship?? What if I am hungry at a weird time... will I be able to get food or should I bring stuff? What is allowed for food to bring on the ship??

What happens when we dock at the 2 islands?? Beach party with the same bands on board which is wonderful or is there surprise bands flown in??

I could go on and on... ( I can be a little chatty LOL) :lol:

Thank you all for at least reading my post and once again any guidance is most appreciated!!

Funkin love,

Wendy aka whirlygirl

Post subject: Re: Newbie on board!! All guidence is is most appreciated!!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:30 pm 

be yourself

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:33 pm 

or a zebra

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:21 pm 

Hi and welcome aboard!

Theme nights - Cloud 9 formally announces two or three theme nights. All are encouraged to participate as it adds to the enthusiastic fun for everybody but people who choose not to are welcomed with or without a costume. There are usually a couple of cruiser induced theme nights as well. Some come from the forum members and are usually posted here in the forum, but some "crews" ... Oregon, Colorado, Touch of Class ... create their own and welcome anybody that wants to participate. The zebra theme nights come from the zebra lounge decor. Anything zebra or animal print will suffice for anything in the Zebra lounge. Check out the ship online for a preview of the Zebra lounge.

Vitamins - Vitamins are perfectly fine in any container, although customs may have questions about identification of what kind of vitamins you possess. This may or may not present any problems. However, any prescription medication that is not in a prescription container is considered illegal ... at least in the U.S. ... not sure about international waters. A couple of years ago some cruisers ran into some issues with not having their meds in an official container.

Cold at night - If you get cold, dance faster! ;) ... usually a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt might be all you need. Rain gear is good to have but I have never personally used it even when I had it with me. The pool deck does get slick if it rains ... saw a guy running to a show across a freshly rained on pool deck last year and called "wipeout" before the crash actually occurred! It was minor and we helped him up. :lol:

Rocking - The ship is very large and you shouldn't notice it rocking much until the cruise is over and you return to land. It takes a couple days for "sea legs" to fade but I found that to be enjoyable! If there are very rough seas you might notice some rocking but the ship usually plots a course around rough weather if possible.

Unfunguide - There is an official guide that lists the bands, events, theme nights, by day, time and stage. It will be included in your gift bag when you get to your room. The unofficial unfun guide sounds like it is not being done this year as it has in years past.

Friends - Once you board the ship ... everyone on board becomes a friend! One of the most friendly events I have ever attended! No worries about this at all! You will meet anyone and everyone you choose! Music really is a universal language!

Food - While I have seen many complaints about the food on JC, I found it to be more than just edible. In fact, I thought it was quite good. There is a 24 hour buffet and salad bar that allows even the most picky eaters to find something. There are also a couple of sit down restaurants that can provide for a more formal dining experience, although ... formal on JC means casual. :lol: At least once on both JC's I've been on they have a lobster night at one of the sit down restaurants, although I wasn't particularly impressed, it is an alternative but the sit down restaurants can take time away from an already very busy schedule.

Dock - At the islands, two things can happen. If the islands has a pier, you simply walk to the departation area and right from the ship to the pier. If the ship has to anchor off shore(tender) you will take a boat to shore. As I am not making JC11, I have not looked into the port stops and if they are tendered or not. I think it has been discussed here on the forum.

I could go on and on! :) Hope it helps

Take the time to soak up every minute on JC! A vacation of a lifetime! Enjoy it to the fullest! 8)

Peace
GD

JC8, JC10

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:52 pm 

Hi Wendy! I'm glad you decided to come on the boat! It will change your life. I think we may be the only ones in the world NOT at Bear Creek this weekend, so it might be a little quiet around here. I'll help as much as I can.

Theme nights: Everybody goes about this in a different way, I think. Look at the themes. Interpret them in whatever way you want and then have fun with it. Cirque de Jam Cruise? Be a lion tamer! Or a strong man! Flying trapeze! Anything you can think of goes. Blue night will be fun. And easy. Something blue that you feel awesome in. I am not ready for ANY of the theme nights yet, so you and I are in the same boat here.

Vitamins/medication: Yes, bring the bottles.

Weather: It does sometimes get cold at night. And windy. Jam Cruise 8 was cold the whole time. But try to remember that there can only be one show on the pool deck at a time. Everything else is going to be inside. It's warm in there. I think it's a really good idea to bring something warm. Also remember that you don't necessarily have to sacrifice costumes for warmth. Feather boas are VERY warm. So are sequins. The deck does get a little slippery when it's wet.

Motion on the ocean: This is another thing that is sort of individual. I rarely ever really notice the boat rocking much. If it's rainy and the ocean is choppy you will feel it. Remember that this is a very big boat. It takes a lot of rocking to really feel it. Some people do get seasick. If you're not sure maybe bring some medication or ginger for seasickness.

People: It is VERY easy to make friends. I have rarely been anywhere in my life with so many people that have such positive attitudes. It was everyone's first time on the boat once. And we all made friends.

Food: It's fine. You will always be able to find something to eat. There are several options. There is the cafeteria. It's the easiest and fastest. They have fruit, salads, and pasta. Pizza and french fries. They also have other buffet style hot foods. They have a formal dining room. There you can order a 5 course dinner that is served plated. This takes forever, so don't do it when there's a show in an hour that you really HAVE to see. Everyone should do it at least once. And when you go, go early. The earlier in the evening you go the fresher everything is. There's also a restaurant you can pay for. I've never been. Most of the time it doesn't seem open. I guess the deal with food is that sometimes you find something really good. Other times you find things that aren't so good. In the end it really doesn't matter. The food isn't what you came for. You WILL find something you can eat. Or you can bring peanut butter crackers and trail mix. I think they will let you bring what you want within reason.

The islands: There will be lots to do if you decide to get off the boat. There are no surprise bands for the beach party. There will be excursions you can go on. I don't think we have gotten an email about that yet. There will be kickball. :mrgreen: The people who stayed up all night vs. the people who slept. The Ragers will win the game. 8) There will be a community outreach project with LAPL. Some people don't get off the boat at all.

I'm looking forward to meeting you. This really will change your life. ANd you will meet people that will become your best friends. I'm sure there will be a forum meet up on the pool deck the first day. I'll see you there!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:55 pm 

Lol. Looks like we AREN'T the only 2 not at BC!! Sorry for any duplicated information. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:07 pm 

Ahoy Wendy!!! Great advice, not much to add, it will be a life-changer. Somewhere along the line I met Hillary; she is now part of my vast extended Jamily!!!
And Hillary, while not at BC in the flesh, you will be there in spirit!!! We have stickers of you (see Facebook post) to prove it!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :DANCE: :DANCE: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:06 pm 

Harry, I saw the stickers! I feel lucky to be part of the gang. The weather is looking like it's going to get better and better for you guys all weekend. I'm looking forward to the pictures and stories already. And Wendy, he's right. We're on big (slightly dysfunctional) jamily.

One more thing...they will give you a book with a schedule and deck map in it. It's small and easy to carry. Bring a lanyard! Someone will have a hole punch and you can put your room key on it. You can also make a schedule of your own at home and laminate it. It can go on your lanyard too. Hands and pockets free!

This is getting me all excited. :DANCE:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:38 am 

Hi Wendy! :D
Welcome to the best time of your life!! :CLAP:

Our first Jam Cruise was #8, and like you, we wanted to go since its inception, but something always came up. We finally pulled the trigger for JC8 and before we had even boarded the ship, I knew from the energy and electricity I felt in the waiting area at the port, that we would never miss another one. Keep in mind that I made this decision before we even stepped on the boat. This year will be our fourth and we become official Repeat Offenders and get our robes! :DANCE:

Everything that has been said already is very valid and very true. Here are some nuggets of wisdom that I have gleaned over the last few years:

1. When in doubt, smile and say "Hi!, I'm a virgin!" There's only one year that you can use it, and fellow cruisers will welcome you with open arms. Like Hillary said, "It was everyone's first time on the boat once. And we all made friends." The caliber and quality of the people you'll meet is kind of amazing as well. It's truly a bunch of professionals (meant in all senses of the word) who know how to have fun! :CLAP:

2. Catch as many sunrises as your body allows. There is truly nothing like watching the turn from night to day whilst in the middle of the ocean or while pulling into a foreign port. 8)

3. Magic happens everywhere on that boat, especially in the Jam Room. Make sure you make your way there and when/if you leave from there, take the outside route, through the smoking section. You just might stumble upon "the spot." :wink:

4. Costumes are fun, I highly encourage you to participate! Every year, I have inevitably over packed, but at the same time, I always manage to have something that I don't use that can be shared with a fellow cruiser. I was a girl scout, and I'm pretty sure our motto was to "always be prepared!" :lol:

5. If you drink and you like creamy frozen beverages, try a BBC sooner than later. I don't know why I waited until my third Jam Cruise to try one, but it was the best morning pick me up I could have asked for! (And if the bartender doesn't have a banana, you can usually find one in the cafeteria.)

6. Be prepared to have a different outlook on land fests after the boat, as you'll be a bit spoiled. There is truly nothing like having all of the fun of a land festival, multiplied by 100, then subtract out the high wook contingency and add the fact that you're on a luxury cruise liner, in the middle of the ocean, with your favorite bands and some of the coolest people you'll ever meet and that equates to some serious fun! Oh, and the running water, flushing toilets, and every other amenity there are just the icing on the cake! :!:

7. Decorate your door! Not only does it help you know that you're in the right place, it provides entertainment and/or something cool to look at for those passing by. By the way, furry wall panels are fantastic!

8. If you're in town the night before the boat leaves, go to the Bahia Cabana for a Jam Cruise reunion. You will be sure to meet lots of us there!

9. If at all possible, arrange your flights so that you arrive in FLL at least one day before and depart one day after the boat gets back in.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions!

In the meanwhile, have a great day!!

Melissa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:16 pm 

Thank you Melissa, Thank you Hillary, Thank you grvdgr9!! Thank you Collins!!

You all have brought tears to my eyes and chills through my spine!! I am more
excited than I thought I could be!! I am writing my own little book so I do not
forget all of your words of wisdom!! I would like to make a point of meeting all
of you!! I keep giggling to myself... I cannot remember that last time I said to
anyone the that " I am a virgin!" That is going to be fun just on its own!! I will
be borrowing a larger suitcase for sure!! I am buying my flights this week. I will
most definitely be coming a day or two early and leaving a day after!! I live in
Northern Vermont and January is a bitch!! Sun and fun!! Does everyone really
stay at the 2 hotels that are on the website?? I have not figured out rooming
yet. Sequins and boas... oh my!! Add glitter and you just made my night!! I
think I will have to up my own anti on the costumes!! I have many more things
I would love to say however, I need to get back to work!! :(

Much love to you all!!

Smiles, :D

Wendy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:13 pm 

OMG and THANK YOU HERBGIRL!! I will definitely be pm-ing you!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:02 pm 

Hi! I got chills just reading those posts! This will be my 5th year and it is an undescribable experience. I have tried to talk many friends into going and they just don't get it. My hubby and I will be in room 10040, we have friends staying on either side of our cabin, stop by and have a drink on the balcony with us!

We have made friends for life on JC.

I thought I was the only one not at Bear Creek!

I thought we would have the line-up relased this week..still waiting.

I always forget to hole punch my room key, I will this year. :roll:

see ya soon sistah!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:32 pm 

Reading this post made me smile. I remember when I embarked on my first cruise. I jumped in the singles program last minute and didn't know a soul on board.. It was absolutely life changing. This will be my fifth year and I can't wait!!! I'm in room 11064 if you need anything!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:22 am 

Welcome to Jam Cruise :) We were on JC 8 and JC 10... We are hoping to never miss one ever again. We have met great friends on the boat and also got to meet many of the musicians that we have been great fans of for a long time.

Another great thing that I don't believe anyone above mentioned is that there is not a bad spot in any of the music venues. Typically everyone has enough dancing room...

One item I would strongly suggest is ear plugs - especially in the indoor venues by the speakers. We got ours from www.earpeace.com ($12.95 plus shipping) and they work very well.

Also, with all of the fun, loud music, etc... I have lost my voice at some point during Jam Cruise. Cough drops or over the counter product to help with sore throats may be handy for you too...

We are in room 11048. We are also fellow New Englanders as well :) We live in CT and go to Boston from time to time to meet up with a great friend who we happened to have met on JC 8 :)

We look forward to meeting you and many others on this forum :)

Reading everyone's responses is making me so excited about the fact that we only have less than 2 months to go! :DANCE:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:07 pm 

Ellen wrote:
Also, with all of the fun, loud music, etc... I have lost my voice at some point during Jam Cruise. Cough drops or over the counter product to help with sore throats may be handy for you too...

PRO TIP:

Gargle with Alka Seltzer (the plop-plop-fizz-fizz kind) and your voice will be back in an hour or two. This was taught to me as the "jamcruise secret". I bring it to all festivals now...