The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: So, how was JC11? ... Reviews please! :)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:33 am 

Coolest crowd moments, best set, second best set, epic party events, food stories ... the whole nine yards for us that were land locked this year! ... and WELCOME BACK! ... See ya on JC12!!! :)

Peace
GD

JC8, JC10

Post subject: Re: So, how was JC11? ... Reviews please! :)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:57 am 

!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:35 pm 

Details please.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:36 pm 

Highlights:

Brock & Scott on the Beach
Nathan Moore's Deck 7 Late night (all night) spot with Trevor Garrod and the guys from HBR
Femi Kuti (both shows were almost the exact same sets, and it was amazing both times - a twice in a lifetime experience)
Jeff Coffin.... everywhere. I think after one of his sit ins with Karl Denson, Karl said "Jeff don't you ever come on my stage and do that again :DANCE:

ManzellaPhotography.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:54 pm 

JC 11 was so incredible, that we can't come up with a word in the English language to describe the feeling of joy that we all had during this wonderful experience.

It was a highlight to me as I got to meet many of this forum's personalities - was so much fun meeting and running into Tai, Serk, and Odman :)

For me, we loved the March Fourth Marching Band - between the music, the stilt tricks, and the hulahooper.... WOW! Our world was also rocked by Motet Funk is Dead! Other highlights were the spot; ALO with GPJr. and Reed Mathis from TLG for triple bass singing "Big Bottom" from Spinal Tap; and the Beatles Pickin Party (they killed "A Day in the Life:)! Lettuce and Greensky also killed it! Also loved Everyone Orchestra... Sorry as it is hard to pick just one as honestly, everything I heard was awesome)

The most valuable part is the fact that I got to see friends from past Jam Cruises and met new awesome people this time around!

Without a doubt, Jam Cruise is my favorite venue to see live music!

Looking forward to seeing pictures, and hopefully ICLIPS will have March Fourth so I can watch it again!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:19 am 

Wow, March 4th on Jam Cruise is beyond EPIC. :NINJA:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:25 am 

august dupree wrote:
Wow, March 4th on Jam Cruise is beyond EPIC. :NINJA:
We saw them for the first time at a fest this past summer and that was the first point at which we were really upset about missing JC11. They are amazing and I can only imagine that they were epic on the boat.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:15 am 

Epic indeed. Blissful beyond expectations.

I saw the funk sets almost exclusively this cruise, unintentionally missed out on most of the bluegrass/world/etc sets, so read this with that in mind.

Picking a favorite set is always hard.... but I'm gonna go with the Everyone Orchestra. The EO set is always one of the things I most look forward to on the ship, and they never disappoint. I ADORE improvisation, and they just crushed this one. Extra special bonus points for MikeD's punk rap extravaganza, not often I get to headbang on Jam Cruise - KILLER 8) Also very very glad they got a later and more mainstream timeslot this year. I am hoping they will get to return to the pool deck next year!!

Other personal highlights:

MagicGravy - oh hell yes. I had been waiting to see this again since Jam Cruise 6 when they pulled out the spontaneous and now infamous jam room set.

MarchFourth - these guys seriously embody the spirit of the ship. The costumes and acrobatics and such are so much fun, but most importantly IMHO they are truly SUPERB musicians (please, go listen/buy their CDs, they are not only eye candy, they play really really great music!)!

The Motet set in the zebra bar on day 1. :DROOL: :DROOL: :DROOL: :DROOL: :DROOL:

FunkyMETERS in the theatre. Pretty much knew this would be awesome before going to it. Art was in much better shape than the last couple times I've seen them, the energy was high through the whole set (Brian seems particularly charged up - yeah!) and the bit where Art, Ian and Ivan were all on stage together just makes me happy. ♥ family.

MikeD's jam room. Yeah I like the heavier stuff a lot, and Mike really did it for me this year. Public Enemy and Dead Kennedys covers FTW, that's how a late night should be.

Nigel Hall. Nigel always takes it to 11.

Other thoughts:

Kickball. Oh how I love you guys. We are SO winning.

No awards show this year, but I think that's OK. Too few people get into it, and some of the past award categories were just dumb IMHO :lol: though I am curious as to who won the door decoration contest this year!

Cloud9 does so much above and beyond for us, THANK YOU. Our littlest Repeat Offender's RObe could not be more awesome. And Congrads to the second class of Lifers, I'm jealous ;)

The food continues to improve, lots of good choices available in the cafeteria this year. Still lots of crap, but plenty of good stuff too :D I never made it to a sit down dinner this year.

I am JamFlu'd. Sigh. I started getting a sinus infection the first day on the ship. I went to sleep after the Funk is Dead set on Tuesday and slept for 12 hours, missing blue night completely, but it was worth the sacrifice to be able to rage - I mean jubilate! - for the next three days. Now it's cough cough sniffle refresh wait for pictures and videos to get posted time :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:42 am 

serk wrote:
Epic indeed. Blissful beyond expectations.
Yay!!! I knew it was gonna be hard to miss this year. Yeah, I was right.

serk wrote:
No awards show this year, but I think that's OK. Too few people get into it, and some of the past award categories were just dumb IMHO :lol: though I am curious as to who won the door decoration contest this year!
Plus, sometimes they give away big prizes that never get delivered, like the Panda bike that Victoria won but never got. :cry:

At least know I'm on back on the same count of days until I'm back on the boat as everyone else. Can't wait for JC12!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:01 pm 
Site Admin

It was the best ever

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:03 pm 

Serk, first - great meeting you in person at the meetup.

Second, your list is nearly identical to mine.

Best sets:
Motet (both Funk is Dead and Zebra Bar)
Everyone Orchestra - Loved this. I walked in on them randomly last year and have looked forward to this set since.
Kimock, Worrell, Ingram & Hess - Relatively low expectations for this and was blown away.
Funky METERS.... Damn.... Pool Deck set was really good, but Theater set... Holy crap!
March Fourth
Super Jam

Jeff Coffin was everywhere, and was great everywhere.

Got to check out ALO for the first time and really liked them.

Bummed we didn't get to either of the Big Gigantic sets, but glad we got to the Jam Room a bit more.

JC 10, JC 11, JC 12, JC 13 cabin 8182

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:07 pm 

Did they do a door decoration contest this year? We walked the halls a bit and really didn't see as much decorating as we did last year.

JC 10, JC 11, JC 12, JC 13 cabin 8182

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:17 pm 

Had a blast -- it's so hard to compare year after year, but this one truly felt special.

Random smattering of highlights:
Mike D's Jam Room
Eddie Roberts killed the Super Jam. Great song selection and great artists on stage taboot
Dumpstaphunk on the pool deck. Nikki Glasspie needs to be on the boat every year from here on out.
Lettuce on the Pool Deck
ALO in the Zebra Bar
MSMW (anyone see these cats sit in with anyone during their 2 days on board? cause I didn't)
All the moe. i saw ... 1st hour of Theater set, and most of Pool Deck -- missed the Mike D and Karl sit ins though :cry:
All the awesome costumes on Blue Night
Greensky wandering around the boat / riding the elevator up and down, taking requests
March Fourth's flash mob on the pool deck
Dr. Klaw takeover of the Jam Room the last night -- with all that talent on stage i wish they hadn't cut the mics right at 4:45, but so it goes.
Getting my RO robe! :DANCE:

Also, it's official that we'll have a new boat next year! I can't remember the exact name, but this one might be it (I heard it's ~1000 people bigger): http://www.msccruisesusa.com/us_en/Ships/MSC-Divina.aspx

Recovery time!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:06 pm 

Karl D pool deck - for me this set the grade curve for best full set - purrrfect
Most impressive mind blow - Lettuce pool deck when i realized that they are playing the music to the motion of the boat and doing a damn fine job at riding the waves. If it was a surfing contest they had a perfect 10
Loved the burner vibe March Forth brought, felt like i was at my two favorite parties at the same time
Most of all I loved hanging out with the jamily. Thank You

Here is something that i will admit to that only a few people saw, early morning time i was walking in front of the pool deck stage yelling at the production crew to hurry up and then running right into the light poll pretty hard, smack! thats what i get for talking it. if only they were filming

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:25 am 

In a word? OUTSTANDING!!!!! Musically superior to the last two JC's combined IMHO ..... but they are ALL good! Cant wait for next year! New boat.. new port!!!! :DANCE: :DANCE: :DANCE: