The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jamcruise Flu?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:10 pm 

So I am wondering how others have faired with the Jamcruise Flu this year. Personally, I have never been more sick after the cruise. And that is saying something because I have come home a few times very sick. This year is surprising because it was my first sober cruise of all 10 years. I got off the boat felling good but within a day was very sick and am even worse at this point. Has anyone else come home with the flu?

Post subject: Re: Jamcruise Flu?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:48 pm 

alintruckee wrote:
So I am wondering how others have faired with the Jamcruise Flu this year. Personally, I have never been more sick after the cruise. And that is saying something because I have come home a few times very sick. This year is surprising because it was my first sober cruise of all 10 years. I got off the boat felling good but within a day was very sick and am even worse at this point. Has anyone else come home with the flu?

I don't think I have the flu because I haven't had a fever and haven't been vomitting etc... But I have one of the worst colds I've ever had. Nasty stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:00 pm 

I should probably go burn some incense to some kind spirit somewhere or something, but I'm doing great. Hope you get better FAST!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:47 pm 

My wife got it but I didn't. Only reasonable explanation that I got my flu shot almost two months ago but she only got it two days before the trip. I've since learned that it take up to two weeks for that stuff to work.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:42 pm 

I got it for the first time this year but the flu is at 5 times the normal rate this year.might just be a coincidence.i didn't get sick till i left the boat.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:58 pm 

I came down with wicked body aches Sunday and, by the end of Monday, I had a fever. I woke up Tuesday morning about 1:30 drenched with fever. Felt pretty good since then. Stupid dirty hippies getting me sick!! :wink: And I had a flu shot back in early December.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:00 am 

It seems to be worse this year than ever before but it was also a year of phish, further, UM, SCI weekends all over the country > jam cruise. It was a breeding ground for wook flu. Flu hit hard in the PacNW while we were on the boat, and I haven't sick, so I might have won the war this year. Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:03 am 

Tai wrote:
I should probably go burn some incense to some kind spirit somewhere or something, but I'm doing great. Hope you get better FAST!

This makes me feel like I can come to the farm and visit then. I am also feeling really good. I ate a little every day and slept a little every day and I attributed it to that. But I also brought antibacterial soap with me and put it in a hand sanitizer bottle and used it pretty often. I also Lysol wiped my entire room as soon as I got there.

I got home and everyone in my house is sick. 60% of the school is out with the flu. It's going to be ironic if I avoid the wook flu and then my own kids make me sick instead.

I really hope all of you feel better soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:05 am 

I'm pretty convinced that Holy Ship definitely leaves some funk on the ship for us. I found a used tissue in one of my drawers when I got there...that's what really convinced me to go all the way with the Lysol. Gross.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:56 am 

Hillary wrote:
Tai wrote:

This makes me feel like I can come to the farm and visit then. I am also feeling really good. I ate a little every day and slept a little every day and I attributed it to that. But I also brought antibacterial soap with me and put it in a hand sanitizer bottle and used it pretty often. I also Lysol wiped my entire room as soon as I got there.

I got home and everyone in my house is sick. 60% of the school is out with the flu. It's going to be ironic if I avoid the wook flu and then my own kids make me sick instead.

I really hope all of you feel better soon.

were you avoiding the farm? :lol: we're both fine, only minor illnesses this year. I felt more sick ON the boat this year than I do after. The decision to skip one night of music and sleep for 12 hours on the ship saved me, I'm convinced it's the only reason I was able to jubilate for days 34&5. And it wasn't the flu for me, it's the same thing I get every year- sinus and lung congestion issues. this year was relatively mild for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:03 pm 

I got sick after the boat but just a cold and wicked cough. Unfortunately I think I have shared with Larry. But feeling much better, except for my arm which they have decided is my rotator cuff. Waiting for an MRI to see how bad.

Other than that, can't wait for JC 12!!! :D

Linda

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:14 pm 

PinkPigg had the flu shot in Sept. but still caught the Jamcruise flu. The strain is Influenza A H3N2. An old strain not part of this years flu shot.
PinkPigg is still in the hospital recovering. Hits you hard when you have CF.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:27 pm 

Poolboy wrote:
PinkPigg had the flu shot in Sept. but still caught the Jamcruise flu. The strain is Influenza A H3N2. An old strain not part of this years flu shot.

This is helpful info, thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:08 pm 

Poolboy wrote:

How is she doing?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:26 pm 

PinkPigg is getting better. Hope to be out by Friday so she doesn't have to spend her birthday in the hospital.
For most people the flu only lasts a couple of days, with her it will take 2 weeks of recovery.