Hope you're doing exceptionally well and that your last two weeks were as way off the hook as mine were! Starting on February 9 at the Crystal Bay Club in Tahoe, Poor Man's Whiskey, with Cornmeal's Allie Kral unexpectedly sitting in & tearing it up on fiddle (as always!), played a set of their tunes and then a set of their album Dark Side of the Moonshine dressed in Wizard of Oz costumes. Absolutely a blast!! The opener, Henhouse Prowlers (from Chicago) and the afterparty, Low Flying Birds (from Chico), were also lotsa fun!
On 2/15 at the CBC, the Mickey Hart Band was real good, but not quite as good as the show at Wingfield. They have a new drummer and he wasn't nearly as impressive as Inx Herman, who played in Tracorum on Sunday. Didn't help that Mickey was apparently sick and didn't play an encore. African Boyz, a four piece mostly percussion band, was rather enjoyable opening. Delta Nove ripped it up as always at the afterparty.
On 2/16 I went to the stupendous first show of The Floyd (Reno Pink Floyd tribute band) and my first at Brewery Arts Center in Carson City. It's a converted church with excellent acoustics and about 250 seats. The Floyd are three members from Eclipse (bassist Vince Gates, keyboardist Rob Lawrence and drummer Dean Rossi) with a new guitarist and female singer/guitarist. The laser light show, quadrophonic sound and musicianship were top-notch and it was a tremendous pleasure hearing One of These Days live for the first time since I saw Pink Floyd play it in 1994!! The Novelists displayed their prodigious vocal harmonies opening and sitting in on Comfortably Numb with The Floyd.
On 2/17 I was @ the CBC again for the best ALO show I've seen out of 37 dating back to when I first saw them at the Zephyr (with 4 other people including the bartender & Lebo's wife) in Reno in 2000. Opener California Honeydrops were even more enjoyable than when I saw them at Guitarfish and Hangtown last year. Tracorum blew the roof off the Red Room afterparty, with Dan Lebowitz of ALO sitting in on 2-3 songs, and Mark Anthony Calderon playing EPIC bass.
The 4th day in a row on Monday was Leftover Salmon and a Lonesome Locomotive afterparty at the CBC LS played what will surely be one of the most kickass shows of the year. Lonesome Locomotive deserves many more CBC gigs!
Took two necessary days off and was back at the CBC on 2/21 for Soulive, Robert Randolph, Big Sam Williams, the Shady Horns and George Porter on one tune. Exceptional!! The Slide Brothers afterparty with Randolph, two lap steel guitarists who turned him onto the steel guitar in the first place, bass and drums was rather impressive!
As great as Thursday was, from the first to last note, Saturday's Soulive show with Nicki Bluhm, George Porter, Papa Mali and the Shady Horns was one of the best and funkiest shows I've been to period!!! Nicki BELTED Janis Joplin's Piece of My Heart and Porter and Eric Krasno in particular were just face-melting!!
Last but not least, Galactic at the CBC on Sunday. They typically tore it up and Corey Glover has some serious pipes and range!! I'm merely quibbling but I could have definitely done without a couple of hip hop tunes and the so-called "music" with which they chose to extremely loudly torture me for an hour after they were supposed to start. In fact, maybe Galactic isn't all that great after all; they just sound phenomenal compared to the noise they played before they started. I didn't catch much of the Fox Street Allstars afterparty, but I loved them opening up for the New Mastersounds a year ago and what I heard the other night was no exception.
NEW SHOWS - http://musicphotographics.com/live_music_calendar.htm
* RICK ESTRIN & THE NIGHTCATS (3/1)
* CAROLYN WONDERLAND (3/7)
* THE BUMPTET (3/7, 3/16, 4/1, 5/4)
* SKERIK'S BANDALABRA (3/11)
* GREENSKY BLUEGRASS (CHICO - 3/13)
* BEAUSOLEIL (3/14)
* BUSTER BLUE / MCCOY TYLER BAND (3/16)
* PETER JOSEPH BURTT & THE KING TIDE (3/16)
* JJ CADY (3/16, 4/6)
* GROOVESESSION (3/29)
* CHRIS ZANARDI & HIGH BEAMZ (3/29)
* DAN HICKS & THE HOT LICKS (4/5)
* DIRT NAP BAND (4/5)
* CALIFORNIA HONEYDROPS (4/8)
* JELLY BREAD (3/8, 3/30, 4/12)
* KEYSER SOZE / MOJO GREEN (4/12)
* JELLY BREAD / JJ CADY (4/13)
* BLAME SALLY (4/15)
* CASUAL DOGS (4/21)
* MARTY STUART (4/23)
* MOJO GREEN (4/24, 5/11)
* DEAD WINTER CARPENTERS (4/26)
* DEAD WINTER CARPENTERS / THE TRAVELIN MCCOURYS (4/27)
* KEYSER SOZE (4/27)
* YONDER MOUNTAIN STRING BAND / DEL MCCOURY BAND / TONY FURTADO (4/28)
* POOR MAN'S WHISKEY W/ ALLIE KRAL (DARK SIDE OF THE MOONSHINE) @ CRYSTAL BAY CLUB, CRYSTAL BAY, NV 2/9/13 - http://musicphotographics.com/poor_man% ... .13_p1.htm
& THE NEXT 5 PAGES (WIZARD OF OZ COSTUMES ON THE LAST 3)
* THE FLOYD @ BREWERY ARTS CENTER, CARSON CITY, NV 2/16/13 - http://musicphotographics.com/the_floyd ... .13_p1.htm
& THE NEXT 5 PAGES (LOTSA SUPERB LASER & LIGHTING PIX ON EACH!! W/ THE NOVELISTS ON PP. 4-5!)
* THE NOVELISTS @ BREWERY ARTS CENTER 2/16/13 - http://musicphotographics.com/the_novel ... .16.13.htm
* HENHOUSE PROWLERS @ CRYSTAL BAY CLUB, CRYSTAL BAY, NV 2/9/13 - http://musicphotographics.com/henhouse_ ... 2.9.13.htm
* LOW FLYING BIRDS @ CRYSTAL BAY CLUB - http://musicphotographics.com/low_flyin ... .13_p1.htm
, http://musicphotographics.com/low_flyin ... .13_p2.htm
* ROSE’S PAWN SHOP @ CRYSTAL BAY CLUB 1/14/13 - http://musicphotographics.com/roses_paw ... .12_p1.htm
, http://musicphotographics.com/roses_paw ... .12_p2.htm
* HONEY HONEY @ CRYSTAL BAY CLUB 1/14/13 - http://musicphotographics.com/honey_hon ... .14.13.htm
* PAISLEY BRAIN CELLS @ 3rd STREET BAR, RENO, NV 2/1/13 - http://musicphotographics.com/paisley_b ... .13_p1.htm
, http://musicphotographics.com/paisley_b ... .13_p2.htm
All for now!! Hope to see you at the moe./Orgone shows at the CBC on 3/5 and 3/6 (my birthday!)
Love, peace & hippieness,