The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: I'm going to miss the Bahia Cabana ...
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:47 pm 

once upon a time I lived in Brickell (downtown Miami) a few blocks from Tobacco Road. I never really cared for the place. Mainly because you cant smoke there. What kind of place is called Tobacco Road, but is "no smoking"?

Tobacco Road is like a (super long and narrow) restaurant on the first floor, and a small stage / bar on the second floor. The second floor is usually so crowded you cant move if a show is happening, and it only has one entrance and exit. Reminds me of that Great White Concert waiting to happen. It does have a nice patio out back.

I will concede I think I am in minority on Tobacco Road, but i have just never liked it. Oh, also there is nothing else happening around Tobacco Road. Once you step outside of Tobacco Road the party is over, unless the burger king a few blocks down is still happening. Thats about it. No late night happenings around Tobacco Road

Whereas Jazid is in the center of Miam Beach. A ton going on all up and down the street. You CAN smoke at Jazid (atleast the last time I was there). It is a bar / stage on both floors. No restuarant about it.

Also, I would guess that Jazis is more Square Ft than Tobacco Road, or maybe they are about the same size. The upstairs at Tobacco Road is really small, i cant imagine its bigger than Jazid.

Just my two cents. I am sure videos on youtube can be found of both places

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:50 pm 

Also if there are Pre-Cruise or Post-Cruise concerts I think there is a damn good chance the concerts will be in Miami Beach. So, walking distance to Jazid, or $40 cab ride to Tobacco Road.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:52 am 

gorilla wrote:
once upon a time I lived in Brickell (downtown Miami) a few blocks from Tobacco Road. I never really cared for the place. Mainly because you cant smoke there. What kind of place is called Tobacco Road, but is "no smoking"?

Tobacco Road is like a (super long and narrow) restaurant on the first floor, and a small stage / bar on the second floor. The second floor is usually so crowded you cant move if a show is happening, and it only has one entrance and exit. Reminds me of that Great White Concert waiting to happen. It does have a nice patio out back.

I will concede I think I am in minority on Tobacco Road, but i have just never liked it. Oh, also there is nothing else happening around Tobacco Road. Once you step outside of Tobacco Road the party is over, unless the burger king a few blocks down is still happening. Thats about it. No late night happenings around Tobacco Road

Whereas Jazid is in the center of Miam Beach. A ton going on all up and down the street. You CAN smoke at Jazid (atleast the last time I was there). It is a bar / stage on both floors. No restuarant about it.

Also, I would guess that Jazis is more Square Ft than Tobacco Road, or maybe they are about the same size. The upstairs at Tobacco Road is really small, i cant imagine its bigger than Jazid.

Gorilla,
I am new to this(will be my first Jam Cruise) but whether a bar has smoking or not should not be the deciding factor. if you have to smoke go outside. Bars that have smoking inside get too smokey. There are a few like that here in Orlando and they have good music but because smoking is allowed I usally can not stay there too long

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:07 pm 

beardear wrote:
gorilla wrote:

Gorilla,
I am new to this(will be my first Jam Cruise) but whether a bar has smoking or not should not be the deciding factor. if you have to smoke go outside. Bars that have smoking inside get too smokey. There are a few like that here in Orlando and they have good music but because smoking is allowed I usally can not stay there too long

I don't like smoky indoor establishments either, whether I'm currently a smoker or not :oops: I think with outdoor venues like the tiki bar at the Bahia, the smokers' smoke wasn't much of an issue. But I could be wrong :)

I think stages and smoking are secondary considerations anyway. The Bahia was, and IS, a cheap dive hotel and outdoor bar where we could easily drink and reconnect and pass out on site or in walking distance, before getting up to get on the ship. They put up with our shenanigans, they have booze, and the price tag isn't too steep. There's also a variety of different class hotels in walking distance. THAT's the stuff that drew the crowds, and that's what we need to find in Miami if we're going to have a similar pre- and post-cruise hangout spot for a large diverse group of cruisers. IMHO of course :D

Meanwhile, I reserved a room at the "official" hotel for this year

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:19 pm 

I concur with Serk. The Bahia Cabana was not a bar that we went to, it was a cheap hotel to crash at before/after. I first found it after JC4 cause I had nowhere to go and someone I met on the boat said I could crash in the room. As the years went by more of us did this and history was made.
I don't think we should be looking for bars, we need to find a cheap hotel with an onsite bar. There are too many things that made the Bahia Cabana my Ft. Lauderdale home for me that I can't imagine (hopefully I'm wrong) there being another place that's going to meet all criteria. But here's a short list...

Multiple outdoors bars. Allows for splitting up the groups so you don't have to wait forever for service. But how terrible is it to wait in line with your favorite people, some you only see 1 week a year? Also helps with the smoking/non-smoking issue.
Hot tub at the bar. Prep yourself for the upcoming tubs aboard or soak those beat up/tired feet and muscles after an amazing dance filled fun fest we call "the boat."
Full restaurant. For any meal you're in need of, although, it was rough that one year waiting for that thing to open up at 6am for some much needed breakfast the morning of embarkation! :lol:
Close to JC "official" hotels and nicer hotels. This way those who book official or pricier hotels are not pricey cab rides away and can easily come and go.
Not much of a destination spot. Not a large number of locals. It was pretty much cruisers there. There were locals but its not like people were heading to the Bahia Cabana to go out because they wanted to go to the Bahia Cabana.
Lastily (at least for my criteria) we can't forget Jake & Elwood!!! 8)

Again, we'll find something and make it our own. Not sure if I'll be able to join this year's pre-cruise, have to once again voice my dislike of a Saturday embarkation. (Steps off soapbox.)

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:22 pm 

Jazid location
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1342+Wash ... ZUsR3MZmrg

Tobacco Road location
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=tobacco+r ... miami&z=15

One has a ton of hotels within blocks.
One has a ton of residential highrises and not much else within blocks

Also, Lebo did the art at Jazid. And Jam Cruise loves Lebo. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:22 pm 

i just noticed the official Jam Cruise Hotel is the Courtyard Marriott Downtown Miami.

Although there are very few hotels close to Tobacco Road, the Courtyard Marriott Downtown Miami is actually only a few blocks from Tobacco road (on the other side of the river). But then you can use the metromover to cross the river. Courtyard Marriott is pretty pricey though.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:18 pm 

looks like the JC rate at the Courtyard is $198, which seems cheaper than most other comparable hotels in Miami that first weekend, from my little bit of research. FYI.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:08 pm 

F' that. I'm just gonna rent a Dodge Caravan with Stow 'n go seating like Abgar's and crash in it for a night. Not real thrilled with the extra expenditures that are implied by departure from port Miami. :evil:

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:56 pm 

Bowl games in Miami that weekend, book hotels early

Linda

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:02 pm 

august dupree wrote:
F' that. I'm just gonna rent a Dodge Caravan with Stow 'n go seating like Abgar's and crash in it for a night. Not real thrilled with the extra expenditures that are implied by departure from port Miami. :evil:

Don't sweat it auggie you can just roll up with me. Couch space and a ride. Done and done.

WAS MUSIC
-Kurt Vonnegut

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:40 pm 

august dupree wrote:

You and A.B. can make the sweetest love in the back. Imagine how beautiful auggies and A.B.'S baby would be. Maybe the world just isn't ready for that kind of beauty yet. Only time will tell.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:04 am 

are there cheaper hotels south of miami?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:15 am 

LIRR wrote:
are there cheaper hotels south of miami?

This time of year the occupancy is close to 100 % in all of Miami. I know the JC hotel seems pricy but for Miami in early Jan. it's a steal.

WAS MUSIC
-Kurt Vonnegut

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:01 am 

I noticed the king-bed rate on the return date (Jan. 9th) must already be sold out (says not available when I click the hotel link)...I ended up booking a room at the Holiday Inn - Port of Miami a few blocks away for $170, for those of you looking for an alternative...