The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Miami Hotels
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:36 pm 

Has anyone settled on a hotel (besides the official one)? Why did you pick it?

Post subject: Re: Miami Hotels
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:37 pm 

Is there a Bahia Cabana in Miami?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:33 pm 

stay in south beach, or downtown. there are a ton of downtown hotels very near the port. or if ya wanna party, south beach is the only place you want to stay

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:06 pm 

My neighbors cruise a lot out of Miami. They recommend the Hilton Garden Inn at the port because you can park your car there, & they'll shuttle you to & from the ship. The cost of the hotel is about the same as the cost of parking your car. I guess this is only relevant for those of us who drive....

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:57 am 

jeanniehh wrote:
My neighbors cruise a lot out of Miami. They recommend the Hilton Garden Inn at the port because you can park your car there, & they'll shuttle you to & from the ship. The cost of the hotel is about the same as the cost of parking your car. I guess this is only relevant for those of us who drive....

On Hilton.com there is no Hilton Garden Inn by Port of Miami, there is one at FT Lauderdale however There is a double tree by Hilton near the port. Perhaps that is where they meant?

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:09 am 

Hmmm... sorry about that! They are on a cruise now, but I'll check with them when they get back...

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:01 am 

We stayed at the Hilton Garden in Fort Lauderdale last year after the cruise. It's scheduled to be demolished soon due to airport expansion. Rooms were dirt cheap. They've let the place fall apart since its coming down.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:47 pm 

jeanniehh wrote:

i think you might be talking about the Holiday Inn Port of Miami.

i dont know the parking situation, but i know it is the closest hotel to the ship

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:18 pm 

I believe the Hilton Garden Inn is the one near the airport. Their web site does mention a shuttle to and from the port.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:18 pm 

I just booked my room here:
SpringHill Suites Miami Airport South
6700 NW 7th Street ยท Miami, Florida 33126 USA

It's right by the airport, includes free shuttle from airport to hotel, and with the "travel package" or "cruise package" I purchased, also includes shuttle from hotel to Port for two and hot breakfast for two...king sized bed suite was like $235 after taxes...

Flying in from Ptown, OR we always get there fairly late, so just want a nice clean place close to airport to lay my weary head as will save my ragin' for das boat.

And my excitement level just bumped up a notch or two....

Just the flight left to do, then I will be fully locked and loaded...oh yes!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:28 pm 

I ended up booking TWO hotels. The precruise hotel is a cheapo in South Beach (to allow for food, beach, fun, a quick ride to the port, and a close-by bed). The postcruise hotel is a nicer cheapo near the airport (with free breakfast and a free airport shuttle). It's for comfortable hardcore sleeping!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:24 am 

Found a room at the Courtyard Marriot downtown at hotelsclick.com
Yes it's the official hotel. I was looking at reviews on Trip adviser and saw that. Got it for one night 1/3/14 for $178.25, for some reason which hotelsclick can not tell me I was actually charged 180.03. I called the hotel to double check that I am in their system and I am!
I was a bit concerned as hotelsclick is out of Italy but all (except for that $1.78 difference) seems to be set
I checked today and there are still rooms available at that price, make sure to choosee USD for your payment at check out and I'd be curious if others wand up getting charged 180.03 instead of 178.25

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:40 am 

beardear wrote:
Yes it's the official hotel. I was looking at reviews on Trip adviser and saw that. Got it for one night 1/3/14 for $178.25, for some reason which hotelsclick can not tell me I was actually charged 180.03. I called the hotel to double check that I am in their system and I am!
I was a bit concerned as hotelsclick is out of Italy but all (except for that $1.78 difference) seems to be set
I checked today and there are still rooms available at that price, make sure to choosee USD for your payment at check out and I'd be curious if others wand up getting charged 180.03 instead of 178.25

It could be your bank/credit card company's 1% fee for currency exchange. I've had that happen many times when traveling abroad. Just a thought :)

Edit: foreign transaction fees I think they're called? not necessarily currency conversion. whatever. some kind of 1% bank/card fee :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:30 am 

serk wrote:
beardear wrote:

It could be your bank/credit card company's 1% fee for currency exchange. I've had that happen many times when traveling abroad. Just a thought :)

Edit: foreign transaction fees I think they're called? not necessarily currency conversion. whatever. some kind of 1% bank/card fee :)

I called my credit card company and it is a 1% foreign transaction fee. I also went ahead and reserved for one night upon our return