The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Anyone consider flying/staying in Ft Lauderdale and shut
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:43 pm 

First timer here. My girlfriend and I will be landing in FLL around noon on the 4th, and we need to get a ride to the port as well. I'm hoping that I can find some sort of shuttle to make it there for less than $50 (cabs seem to be more expensive). If you guys know of a way, or have plans to book a shuttle please let me know.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:04 pm 

dsmizzle1 wrote:
First timer here. My girlfriend and I will be landing in FLL around noon on the 4th, and we need to get a ride to the port as well. I'm hoping that I can find some sort of shuttle to make it there for less than $50 (cabs seem to be more expensive). If you guys know of a way, or have plans to book a shuttle please let me know.

I would change your flight to the day before if at all possible, then group up with the cruisers at the bahia, since you are coming into FLL.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:09 pm 

It is two months out. I made reservations on the SAS shuttle from FLL to the Miami Courtyard and then the return to FLL. Looks like its the blue collar shuttle (not a party bus with champagne and a stripper pole). Sure would be nice if everyone else on the shuttle was a JCer too (and not my parents, agggh!).

http://www.ridesas.com/html/reservations.html

They seemed to have repeatedly decent reviews online. There were lots of other non-vip shuttle and limo services with bad reviews.

b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:57 pm 

Tai wrote:
dsmizzle1 wrote:

I would change your flight to the day before if at all possible, then group up with the cruisers at the bahia, since you are coming into FLL.
Switching the flight and finding a hotel would cost some moolah that I don't really have, haha.

I guess I'll get a reservation with SAS, like bennard posted. That looks okay, $15/ person is within my range. Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:40 am 

bennard wrote:
1. Can anyone comment on past experiences with specific shuttle/limo/bus services from FLL to Miami and back? Ive identified a bunch of van and shuttle companies that claim to provide service. Some of their websites seem somewhat sketchy. A couple companies refuse to go to Miami hotels. We are flying in the day before so im not so worried about that. But definitely be building stress while heading back to FLL.

The shuttles are all about packing in more people. They will wait and wait and wait at the airport or Port for more passengers while the crowd of, say, 6 people that has been sweating in the back of the poorly ventilated van for 40 minutes howls bloody murder to get going. If they are picking you up at your hotel, God knows how many stops at other hotels (or residences!) they are going to make before you get on the road towards Miami.

So if you are considering a shuttle BEWARE. Allow a ridiculous amount of time, esp. with all the traffic between Ft. Laud and Miami at certain hours.

Alternative plan: A quick check on Travelocity reveals you can rent a car at FLL and return it at MIA the next day for $56 taxes included. Cab from MIA to Port Miami is flat rate $24. So 80 clams plus gas money gets you AND your crew AND everyone's luggage from FLL to your hotel, then anywhere you want to go in Ft. Laud that night, then all the way to the ship in Miami the next day, all on your own schedule. If there's more than one of you, that's a great way to go since the shuttles charge per person. Probably a decent idea even if traveling solo-- the peace of mind alone is worth it.

You can do it backwards, too, after we disembark.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:47 pm 

I'm still trying to plan for my crew (there are 6 of us; we are coming from different places and on likely 3 airlines). Unsure about third arrival time, but 4 of us are going to be in FLL around noon on the 3rd.

We are determining whether we should stay in FLL that night and head to MIA morning of the 4th... The prices in FLL seem to be cheaper. If we go with FLL, we will probably end up at the Bahia that evening.

BUT, we all agree that we would rather stay in Miami on the 3rd just to forestall any potential travel issues and be worry free. The real issue is this: where is everyone staying in Miami? Not the official hotels... Looking for something a bit cheaper. :DANCE:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:42 pm 

A lot of us are at the Red Hotel Miami. I think they may be sold out, but there will be a pool party happening the night before the boat, so at least you'll know where to come hang out!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:24 pm 

Thanks Hillary!

We will definitely want to meet and greet at ze pool.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:08 pm 

howdy!

i am flying into FLL on the 4th and get in at 12:42 pm. I was planning on just taking a cab to the Miami port. If anyone is getting in around that time and wants to share a cab or a rental, let me know.

I can get a rental in FLL and drop off at the Miami airport for $40, then the cab to the port is $24.

josh

Jamcruise 6: Bellini 10132

Post subject: Re:seats claimed
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:11 am 

Seats are full folks....

We have a hire car heading down from Ft Lauderdale which we will be dropping off at the Port of Miami Thrifty, have room for 2 .
Drop me a line if interested
icecremekid@gmail.com
415 696 4244
Only charge is a beer on the boat.

Last edited by icecremekid on Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:01 am 

I know you can rent a car from one airport and return it to another without paying the airport fee. I found the same could be done from FLL to Port of Everglades. I'm guessing the same could be done from FLL to Port of Miami. That would be a same day rental and I'm sure it would be cheap.

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:29 am 

Thrifty, Hertz, and Alamo have free shuttles to the Port of Miami. You can drop it off at the Miami airport and ride the shuttle to the port. It might cost you $60 for the rental, but you get down there on your time and not the shuttle full of strangers.

IMPORTANT TIP: You can go to the port and drop off your checked bags, leave the port to drop off your rental, and ride back on the shuttle. This means you don't have to stuff your bags in the shuttle. Just your carry on bag.

Team up and split the cost 4 ways. #winning

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:27 pm 

I wanted to report back that the SAS Shuttle worked out perfect. The drivers called me when I was in baggage claim at the airport and then again at the port, and met us at the curb. They picked us up quickly and were nice and helpful. Not much waiting at all. Cost each way was 15 (so a 20) per person.

It definitely made FLL feel like it was nearly as close as MIA.

The overall experience was very positive, especially for a budget shuttle service, and we will be doing again next time.

Post subject: Re: Re:seats claimed
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:50 pm 

icecremekid wrote:
Seats are full folks....

We have a hire car heading down from Ft Lauderdale which we will be dropping off at the Port of Miami Thrifty, have room for 2 .
Drop me a line if interested
icecremekid@gmail.com
415 696 4244
Only charge is a beer on the boat.

Great meeting you Matt and Naomi, you guys rock!

-Ryan and Tammy