The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Houston Free Press Summer Fest- ideas for JC12 artists
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:22 pm 

Went to my hometown fest this past weekend, the 5th Houston Free Press Summer Fest. All in all an amazing (but too short) weekend of two days of sweltering music and temperatures to match...

Grace Potter owned it, breaking out an insane "War Pigs" Black Sabbath cover. It was a monster of a jam- all arrangements transitioned seamlessly... Ozzy would be proud. The rest of her set was stellar, but once "War Pigs" chords came over the PA I knew all bets were off and this would be my epic moment of the day and nothing else needed to matter.... I was right.

Mavis Staples. I want to grow up to be as cool as Mavis Staples. If you are asking yourself, "who is Mavis Staples?" please get your learn on and fast before you miss the chance to see her.

Bassnectar. Usually button pushing doesn't entertain me, I was wrong, button pushing makes me do bad things to good people, or good things to bad people, not too sure yet which is the case.... Bassnectar took my melted face to the next level.

As for stuff we need on the boat.... These three please :PRAY: :PRAY: :PRAY:

VINTAGE TROUBLE. Holy balls, these guys are insane. They are coined as a "boogie rock" band that hail from L.A., and I think one listen of their track "Pelvis Pusher" and you will be begging for them to take a boat ride with us. :DANCE:

ALABAMA SHAKES. You know them. We need them. I need them. They are soul to our shine. :WHISTLE:

SOJA. Saw them at Wanee, not impressed, seemed forced and obligated to be on stage... saw them at FPSF, wow... They put on one hell of a show for us, if they could repeat that I would pool deck it all damn day for their set.

Anyways it was an all around great weekend of music. Local Houston music is coming back to life after decades in the gutter and in the shadows of New Orleans and Austin, but i think this weekend helped us solidify our own identity and set us aside from the sister cities of the Gulf Coast...

... as for next weekend, Houston Beer Fest with Big Sam's Funky Nation, Jonathon Tyler and the Northern Lights, and Rev. Horton Heat. Not a bad month of June so far!