The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Let's get to know each other
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:13 pm 

Hello Jamily.

This will be my first Jam Cruise and I cannot contain my excitement. I'm a festival lover and the thought of attending a festival on water is blowing my mind. At any rate I'm hoping to meet some likeminded individuals on the forum as I have done for other festivals that I've attended so here goes:

Where from?:
Male/Female?:
Been to JC before?:
What do you do for a living/for fun?:

and most importantly, music:
Play any instruments?:
Favorite bands/artists?:
Finally, what is it about music that brought you here?:
(Feel free to add any other questions)

Female, from Tampa, FL. I am an accountant.
This will be my first Jam Cruise. I usually attend random festivals throught the year. I've done AURA,WANEE, this year & did Disco Biscuits/Phish for NYE.
I love everything about music.
I brought a guitar can't play it though.
I was contemplating JC for a while. The stellar lineup convinced me to pull the trigger.

Can't wait to RAGE with all of you! :D

Post subject: Re: Let's get to know each other
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:52 pm 

I'll play :)
Female, live in VA but grew up in MA (and many other places following the Dead around)
Now I am a shepherd. Shepherdess. I raise sheep. Baa!
JC12 will be my 7th Jam Cruise :cheer!!:
I play guitar some, just started picking it up again really. Grew up with piano.
Can't pick a favorite band. Or even genre. Though I did spend a large portion of my life obsessed with those Dead people, as mentioned above.
I came on Jam Cruise for the first time because I wanted to see Yonder Mountain String Band on my 40th birthday, and they just so happened to be playing on a cruise ship. Who knew :D :DANCE:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:24 pm 

I'm a female and I live in Virginia (18 miles from Serk) but I'm moving to New York next weekend to be with my love, who I met on the boat. :mrgreen:

This will be my 6th Jam Cruise. My first was JC7. I came on the boat with my then boyfriend who had been going on for years. I had heard so much about it that I wanted to go. And honestly, the thing that I heard about most was the people...so that's why I came. Then I saw Les on the pool deck and knew that I would always come back. I spent my teens and early twenties at festivals and Phish lots, but had never been anywhere with so many people who were all so positive. Saying that Jam Cruise changed my life is maybe a little too cliche, but it certainly changed my outlook.

I don't play any instruments (well...I'm pretty good at the kazoo). If I did I would want it to be the trumpet. Or maybe the drums. I love to listen to others play though, and my favorites are Mike Dillon, Les, and gang.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:09 am 

I am a 58 y/o female and live in downtown St Louis near the Arch. I work for an electrical contractor that specializes in intelligent traffic systems and street/highway lighting. This is my 4th Jam Cruise and I am excited to be an official Repeat Offender. I used to play piano but am in awe of talented musicians and their ability to soothe and heal with music. I have always thought the bass players were the coolest members of any band and cannot believe that I will get to see so many ridiculously talented ones in Jamuary. Special love for Les and Victor!!! but it's all about GEORGE!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:04 am 

Where from?: I've lived all over. been in florida for about 8 years. currently moving to jacksonville.
Male/Female?: brah
Been to JC before?: jc5 was my first... this year will be 7
What do you do for a living/for fun?: crunch numbers for a living. shred music for fun.

Play any instruments?: guitar and bass. dabble with drum machines and piano
Favorite bands/artists?: too many to list, but here goes..... phish, biscuits, floyd, JGB, talking heads, LCD soundsystem, railroad earth, MMW, FUNK! DISCO! curtis mayfield, steely motherfuckin dan, pgroove, outkast, RADIOHEAD, foals, my morning jacket, lotus. quality EDM like daft punk, pantha du prince, gui boratto and telefon tel aviv... and fun jam music of all sorts

Finally, what is it about music that brought you here? great acts, amazing people, entirely too much fun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:41 am 

Where from?: A place just like any other place. Lived in Florida since 2001(dog help me)
Male/Female?:Male
Been to JC before?: JC9
What do you do for a living/for fun?: I work for an investment company. For fun: music and the great outdoors

Play any instruments?: No
Favorite bands/artists?: PHISH, The New Mastersounds, Lettuce, Yonder, and the Disco Biscuits are my current top 5 to see live, but there's too much to list
Finally, what is it about music that brought you here?: Most of my friends on the boat are at minimum robe-worthy. They talked about nothing else for years before I finally got on. It was worth the hype within an hour of being on the boat. The only thing missing was my wife, who prebooked us this year as a birthday present

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:06 am 

Where from?: From the natti but now in the Zone
Male/Female?: Dude
Been to JC before?: Will recieve RObe this year
What do you do for a living/for fun?: accountant :SHHH: /read Journal of accountancy :NAUGHTY:

and most importantly, music: Yes that is important
Play any instruments?: Mostly air guitar and drums
Favorite bands/artists?: we only have 60K characters so I will just say All
Finally, what is it about music that brought you here?: there is no better way to do a music festival than this. "Music is the best"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:15 am 

Wow I knew Ludlow was an accounant but I didn't realize just how many of us there are on this forum (probably not a coincedence, we are all dorks)

-Born, raised and still live in NYC (about 8 miles from where Hillary is moving :D :D )
-Male
-This will be my 6th jam cruise in a row. I honestly can't imagine missing one
-I am a tax accountant at a talent agency, mostly broadway but some NYC musicians as well
-I have Yankee season tickets, I'm an avid pool player and have an additiction to live music. This takes up almost all of my free time
-I played guitar in a HS band for a few years but I really suck. If you can't figure out punk you have no chance at playing real music
-Phish will always be 1st, seen about 100 shows over 15 years now. I love funk and anything with horns, George Porter. Phil Lesh, ABB, but not much other "jam bands". Piano (James Booker, Marco Benevento, Robert Walter, etc..) I also love old school pop like Queen, Bowie, Jethro Tull. I could go on all day
-It's cliche but trying to put what makes jam cruise into words is impossible. I have met the most wonderful people in the world on that little boat.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:16 pm 

kpu1162 wrote:
Wow I knew Ludlow was an accounant but I didn't realize just how many of us there are on this forum (probably not a coincedence, we are all dorks)

I resemble that remark :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:33 pm 

kpu1162 wrote:

Mags (my better half) and I are both CPAs as well. As for being a dork, I proclaim so proudly!!
I grew up in Maryland / suburban DC, moved to NC in mid 90s and been here since.
This would be my 7th Jam Cruise if I make it. Up in the air. Went on JC 5, mised 6, then 7-11. Mags has been on 8-11.
I'll hit about 8 or 9 festivals this calendar year. One great thing about Jam Cruise: You are guaranteed to run into fellow cruisers at just about any festival or mid size or larger concert!

Favorite bands? The usual suspects, plus several dozen that I first discovered on the boat. Go to Bear Creek in November and see some of them for yourself!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:13 pm 

So this begs the question does Jam Cruise count as CPE?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:11 am 

Where from?: NOLA!!!!
Male/Female?: MALEISH
Been to JC before?: 9X'S!!!!
What do you do for a living/for fun?: Artist 4 a living,,,,anything 4 fun!

Play any instruments?: sax
Favorite bands/artists?: way to many to name
Finally, what is it about music that brought you here?: it's the people dat bring us back each year,,by far the people!
(Feel free to add any other questions)

Can't wait to RAGE with all of you! :D[/quote],,,ditto

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:48 am 

Where from?: Asheville, NC

Male/Female?: Female

Been to JC before?: This year will be my third. Missed last year and vowed to never make that mistake again.

What do you do for a living/for fun?: Massage therapist for a living. Shows, fests, and travel for fun.

Play any instruments?: Not WELL. Dancing is my thing.

Favorite bands/artists?: The Grateful Dead and anything that evolved from that scene

Finally, what is it about music that brought you here?: It was the combo of Mickey, Bobby, and Bill on JC9 that finally got me to throw financial considerations to the wind and get on the boat. It's the vibe that brings me back.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:05 am 

Wow! Accountants everywhere!

From: Pascagoula, MS (Mississippi Gulf Coast between New Orleans and Mobile, AL)
Male, but wife will be traveling with me. Both of us mid 50's, but mid 20's in our minds.
First time Jam Cruisers
For Fun: music, Saint's football, cooking, growing plants, fishing, and most of all - sitting on the back porch and drinking cold beer.
I've played the piano since childhood, but need a lot more practice.
Favorite bands, musicians would be too many too list, even if I could come up with a favorite. I can say I'm really looking forward to seeing Anders (one of my favorites) Luther Dickinson, George Porter, Robert Walter and many of the other acts. Especially love New Orleans Funk and Horns.

I never dreamed there would be so many number crunchers cruising.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:34 am 

saildawg wrote:
I never dreamed there would be so many number crunchers cruising.

I think the majority of friends I've made on Jam Cruise have day jobs in the financial, legal, and medical sectors. CPAs, lawyers, and nurses, oh my! By day they act like mild mannered average folks, but by night.... nana nana nana nana jam cruisers!! whodathunkit ;)

:NINJA: we are everywhere ♥