The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Let's get to know each other
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:00 pm 

We're mild-mannered during the day... when not on the boat! On the boat, we rage non-stop! WOOHOO! :DANCE:

Where from?: Born in Buenos Aires, Argentina, but grew up in Maryland, with some time spent in Pittsburgh, NYC, and Hawaii.
Male/Female?: Less macho than the average Argentine, but still have two cohones, or BALLS as they are called here in the States. :D
Been to JC before?: This will be my third straight. My girlfriend brought me on my first, and we had such a good time I married her.
What do you do for a living/for fun?: I run an auto body shop with my dad during the day, and grow veggies and garden in between going to shows on our motorcycles during the evenings.

Play any instruments?: I can play guitar, bass, and drums at a 1 year old level. Maybe two year old if I'm having a good day.
Favorite bands/artists?: Phish is the one that opened me up to everything else, but really, I just love to dance to good grooves. I've been digging Slightly Stoopid a ton the last few years.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:00 pm 

Where from: Chicago
Female
This is our 4th JC--RO--Whooo (That robe is surprisingly motivating :DANCE: )
I'm a speech-language pathologist but I currently work for a non-profit helping get technology into under-served classrooms and I help train teachers in K and 1st on literacy instruction. For fun, we hang out with our boys (3 of them) and camp and go see music.
Play any instruments? I own a guitar....I can play a D and a G and sometimes, on a good day, a C chord. Still working on it. My girlfriend and I get together on Friday nights to practice....but I think we need lessons. I can play piano like a 3rd grader with pride.
Favorite bands/artists: Hmmmm....hard to say. I like lots. Currently, I'm into the funk, but I lean toward bluegrass, americana, etc on any given day. I like anything with Stanton Moore and I think horns make everything sound better. We came to JC by way of Jazzfest and ACL fest and the early days of Wakarusa. Yonder was the band that we drooled over in early lineups. So far they haven't been on the boat when we are, but I'm hoping this year's secret (or late announcement) ends that. Also love ALO, NMS.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:32 pm 

Where from?: Long Island, NY
Male/Female?: Male
Been to JC before?: This will be our third cruise
What do you do for a living/for fun?: Finance & Investments for a living. For fun - Live Music, Brewing Beer, BBQ, Family & Friends (not necessarily in that order).

and most importantly, music:
Play any instruments?: Bass & Guitar - Both terribly
Favorite bands/artists?: Touring: Pearl Jam, Umphrey's, ABB, Tedeschi Trucks Band, Black Crowes, Phil & Friends/Furthur, Assembly of Dust, Marco Benevento, North Mississippi Allstars
Non-Touring: Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Beatles.
Finally, what is it about music that brought you here?: I was always fated to be here. Just wondering what took me so long.

Jam Cruise, both the week on the ship, and the Jamily you create are some of the best times you can have.

JC 10, JC 11, JC 12, JC 13 cabin 8182

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:21 pm 

LIRR wrote:
Male/Female?: MALEISH

bwah now that's funny

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:26 pm 

Hey, I'm Michael and my wife is Aliza. Early 50s

We live in New York City, The Bronx, but I spend a lot of time at Brooklyn Bowl. And Mercury Lounge. And Highline and Bowery Ballrooms. And Terminal 5. Oh yea - and the Beacon and Gramercy Theaters. You get the idea.
Male/Female?: Male.Married
Been to JC before?:Last year was the first... why did I wait so long? A new tradition was formed.
What do you do for a living/for fun?: Jeez - this is crazy... I'm a financial advisor

My first Dead show was more than 40 years ago. And I'm very lucky - my friend Marc and I have been buddies for all 40 of those years, and we still go to a lot of live shows. We keep pushing each other, and it's been wonderful. I love good music - pure and simple. And we're really trying to support the newer, less well known bands. Loved the Mantras. There is so much good music out there that it's ridiculous. But they're all standing on Jerry's shoulders. And Dylan, of course.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:28 am 

Where from?: Born Brooklyn. NY now live in Las Vegas
Male
Been to JC before? This is my fiancée and I's 1st JC
What do you do for a living/for fun?: I am a Production electrician and work as a Union stage electrician, I am also the VP of a Non profit, all volunteer music promoter group (The LVJBS http://www.lvjbs.org/

Play any instruments?: drums
Favorite bands/artists?: Many many Phish shows, HSMF 10years,GD,WSP, MOE.Funk, Taj, GSW, Moksha rocks, and too many to name. Music and friends make me happy!
Finally, what is it about music that brought you here?: We decided to get married on JC after seeing a JC DVD where people got married. We found out the wedding at sea is not a real wedding. This was not going to stop us. We will be doing a quick wedding in line with our friends (in tutu's) before boarding and then if they do the fake wedding we will take part in that also. Then we will have the best fucken time EVER. We also scored a Aurea Suite w/bal on the 9th floor.
Can't wait to be on the boat!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:02 am 

^^^^^^we are in that wedding dvd!!!! it was our 1st wedding! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

to us IT WAS REAL!

AND WELCOME TO THE BEST TIME EVER!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:45 pm 

Where from?: Philly raised but residing in Portland, Oregon now after a long stint in hell, I mean Florida.
Male/Female?: Female
Been to JC before?: Yes :0 Lifer. We got a call from a friend of ours years ago that said, this is happening... you need to call and book your your cabin on this day and the rest is history.... we raged Miami phish then got on the s.s. minnow for a rough and wild ride on the tiniest and oldest working cruise ship in Florida. Our room was actually really nice.. all brass and mahogany with a really large balcony but the rest of the boat left much to be desired. You know who does not bitch about the food on Jamruise?... the folks that went on Jamcruise 1 or 2 :)

What do you do for a living/for fun?: I sell mixed media advertising for trade associations to pay my bills and travel around the country to see live music to play. A year in my world looks something like this: Jam Cruise, Mardi Gras, Aura, Vegas, JazzFest, Vegas, Oregon Country Fair, Northwest String Summit, SCI @ Hornings, Colorado, Bear Creek, Jam Cruise....... and in between, my husband works to bring our favorite bands to Portland. :) Life is good.

and most importantly, music: Oh hell yes. all of it. except widespread panic. widespread panic sucks.
Play any instruments?: nope
Favorite bands/artists?: currently, If asked to put something on it would probably be ... Orgone, M4MB, UM, GAT, Lettuce, Shorty, NMS, Robert Walter, the Avetts, Foster the people (yeah, I like indie rock too.. I told ya that I love all music) or the dead.
Finally, what is it about music that brought you here?: You can find music like this anywhere.. festivals are a dime a dozen... it is the people that keep me here. It is the friends that I made on that first boat and every other trip after that that bind me to this ship and provide me with so much love long after the last note stops playing and we pull into port.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:04 pm 

From Albany Oregon, now I live in Alaska and have for the past 16 years (because Jerry died). I have two boys week on and off so it looks like I will be here for the next nine years, although I have promised my youngest a graduation bonus if he advances a grade.

Male, but in touch with my feminine side (raised by mom, grandma, four aunts and I have two sisters - how could I not)

Jam Cruise was on the list from the beginning and I made it on JC 7 and this will be my 6th. I have been all around the world. Between the GD and Jerry I have around 150 shows under the belt, been to many festies, yet JC continues to be the greatest 5 days in a row of my life.

I worked as a commercial union carpenter for 20 years, then went to school for 5 years to get a degree in Construction Management only to drop out 12 credits before completion (I don't want to do that when i grow up, at least now). Now I make most of my scrilla as an organic farmer.

I have a banjo that i pluck on but really the only thing I play is the stereo - quit well I might add

I love all music, off the top of the head -GD, anything Jerry, Steely Fucking Dan (probably my all time favorite, at least record wise), DB, Umph, Critters Buggin, Hank III, Wayne the Train Hancock, Rollin in the Hay. I really want Strangefolk, Brooklyn Funk Essentials and Buckethead on the boat. Love Orgone (was stoked when they finally made it and looking forward to seeing Fanny for the first time). Buddos Band, Mr. Chop, J.G Thrilwell, The Malah, Brand New Heavies, The Heavy, Deli Creeps (my favorite Buckethead band), London Souls, Miles Davis, Meters, Frequinox, Mother Bug and so much more

Last year I was looking forward to Boombox the most - their set did nothing for me but I still love them around the house. Medeski Skerik and Gillespie was the biggest surprise (why won't you release the show on cruise tunes cloud 9). This year I am looking forward to a 4am Thievery show as well as Bootsie (please Cloud 9 make Mr. Collins a Jam Room Host). The only thing that has ever turned me off on JC is Zach Deputy (I love the man and his music but he is a jam room hog, ain't nobody got time for that).

The seclusion of being on a boat is what excited me the most, that is still one of my favorite aspects. It is the people, mostly fans and crew that bring me back. I also enjoy the fact that you can easily walk to the front of any venue, we are all VIPs, sound quality is the best, no fucking cops, and most important - you can shit in your own toilet. Another thing that trips me out about the boat is you can be ragging on the pool deck then walk two minutes and hear nothing but the wind - how fucking cool is that. Oh and it exceeds the expectations of every first time cruiser I have asked.

Look for the Alaska crew we will be 30 strong this year

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:43 pm 

ludlow66 wrote:
So this begs the question does Jam Cruise count as CPE?

I think it should

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:58 am 

A little late to the party, but late is better than never... 8)

Where from?:Pittsburgh, PA (a little north and west of the city)
Male/Female?Female
Been to JC before?: JC 12 will be our 5th in a row!
What do you do for a living/for fun?: I am the owner/operator of two Chem-Dry (carpet, upholstery, tile&grout cleaning) franchises and in my spare time, my husband and I make cool things (wind chimes, jewelry and some other fun stuff) out of silverware.

and most importantly, music: Oh yes, sweet music!!
Play any instruments?: I was born into a very musical family. My parents were both professional singers and my brother is a professional pianist. We did a Partridge Family style road show in the late 70's and early 80's, touring the tri-state area and doing shows at schools and business and association (think Kiwanis Clubs of America) conventions. I grew up taking piano and clarinet lessions, but I don't play in public! :oops: Though I do love to sing and play some percussion!
Favorite bands/artists?:Too many to list, as I am a fan of most musical styles and genres, with the exception of Modern Country, Pop and Gangsta Rap. My life would not be complete without music and I am grateful that it is such a large part of my life.
Finally, what is it about music that brought you here?: About 10 years ago in May 2003, my friend Liza (who used to play in the CO jam/funk band Zuba) was staying at our home whilst playing a private gig in Pittsburgh. She was telling us about this really cool cruise she had been booked on, taking place in January 2004 called Jam Cruise. She was playing with Bill Nershi at the time and told us not to miss the boat. Unfortunately, the timing wasn't right for us then, but I joined the email list and year after year, I watched the emails and looked at the website longingly. It wasn't until the summer of 2009, that we finally pulled the trigger for JC8. Shortly after I booked our spot on the boat, I got a message from Liza saying that she was back on the boat with the Motet and the rest is history! Although, I must say that once we stepped foot into the waiting line at the port I knew we would never miss another Jam Cruise just based on the electricity and the energy that I felt waiting in line, and we hadn't even stepped on the boat yet! I cried tears of joy at least 15 different times on our first boat ride and we've met a pretty stellar cast of characters. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think about the boat in one way or another! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:58 am 

I'm from Alaska 25 years but originally from the N.E.
I'm a guy
Last year was my first jam cruse
I'm a captain of a boat in West Africa, Cameroon, Ivory Coast, today I'm in Ghana, not an accountant, paperwork is not my thing
For fun I love live music, gardening at home, planted 80 lbs. of potatoes this season skiing, many other hobbies
For music vast range, anything with some soul, saw the dead way more times than I usually admit to.
Don't play an instrument
Finally went on jam cruse after coming back from Jam in the Dam and my friends almost insisted that I go, working on a boat half the year I never even considered setting foot on board a vessel on my off time, but it was worth it, will go again this year.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:21 pm 

damn you forum users and this great thread...!!

had pretty much made up my mind I was gonna cancel my reservation, but now I read this thread & I'm once again not sure anymore... in the meantime I will play this game while I keep trying to decide

Where from?: Seattle area (grew up in NJ, been here 20+ years)
Male/Female?: Female
Been to JC before?: 6 in a row (4-10), skipped last year to do JazzFest instead. on the fence between JC & JF for next year, don't have the time/money to do both. Really hoped Bandalabra would be on board this year, that would've sealed the deal for me
What do you do for a living/for fun?: planner by day, music freak by night. the Seattle music scene is in-fucking-credible!!

Play any instruments?: nope
Favorite bands/artists?: Dead, Kimock, Skerik/Bandalabra, GPJr, New Mastersounds, McTuff (Joe FREAKIN' Doria & Andy FREAKIN' Coe, yo!) and lots & lots in between
Finally, what is it about music that brought you here?: Steve Kimock Band on JC4,

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:57 pm 

ahahahaha - just realized that JC4-Jc10 is 7 in a row, not 6 (says the gal who is thankfully NOT an accountant - LOL!)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:27 pm 

Jason
Where from?: Central New Jersey
Male/Female?: Male
Been to JC before?: No
What do you do for a living/for fun?: Social Worker/Go to shows, movies, and the beach

Play any instruments?:
Favorite bands/artists?: Phish, Grateful Dead, Cheese
Finally, what is it about music that brought you here?:
I love the way it makes you feel when you are in the middle of a Jam, Dancing and Losing your mind! Nothing could touch you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next