The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Let's get to know each other
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 5:37 pm
Posts: 464
Location: st. pete, FL
Chip
live in St Petersburg, Florida
32 y/o guy
first cruise was JC5, so this will be my 8th
originally from Delaware, spent some time in NY and now i have lived in St Petersburg, FL for what is coming to be three years
work in a corporate setting during the day, and rage at night.


love everything about music. especially the lifelong friends it has helped me make.

_________________
AWESOMETOWN, U.S.A!!!!!!

"Two on a quaalude, that's bad luck" - Rick Gassko


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's get to know each other
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:19 pm
Posts: 1013
Location: Phoenix
ElChipperino wrote:
love everything about music. especially the lifelong friends it has helped me make.



This :CLAP: :CLAP: :DANCE: :DANCE:

_________________
"oh mama ain't it good to be alive"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's get to know each other
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:45 am
Posts: 1
Where from?: Live in SoCal but grew up in the UK.
Male/Female?: Male
Been to JC before?: Nope
What do you do for a living/for fun?: Software Engineer for a living, but my band has been getting more and more traction of late and is becoming increasingly time consuming. I'm hoping to be able to switch the two in the next year or so.

and most importantly, music:
Play any instruments?: Yep. Keyboards on a semi-pro basis, and I can hack around on a guitar.
Favorite bands/artists?: I have a thing for the funky grooves of New Orleans - The Meters, most of what Stanton Moore does, Dr John, etc, but my taste ranges all over the place. It's hard to find music I can't appreciate on some level.
Finally, what is it about music that brought you here?: What's not to like about a 5-day music festival on a boat in the middle of the ocean? I've considered it for years but tended to allow life to get in the way. I'm done with that whole 'being responsible' thing, so here I am.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's get to know each other
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:10 pm
Posts: 1294
Location: Seattle'ish
Sparky~ wrote:
damn you forum users and this great thread...!!

had pretty much made up my mind I was gonna cancel my reservation, but now I read this thread & I'm once again not sure anymore... in the meantime I will play this game while I keep trying to decide

Where from?: Seattle area (grew up in NJ, been here 20+ years)
Male/Female?: Female
Been to JC before?: 6 in a row (4-10), skipped last year to do JazzFest instead. on the fence between JC & JF for next year, don't have the time/money to do both. Really hoped Bandalabra would be on board this year, that would've sealed the deal for me
What do you do for a living/for fun?: planner by day, music freak by night. the Seattle music scene is in-fucking-credible!!

and most importantly, music:
Play any instruments?: nope
Favorite bands/artists?: Dead, Kimock, Skerik/Bandalabra, GPJr, New Mastersounds, McTuff (Joe FREAKIN' Doria & Andy FREAKIN' Coe, yo!) and lots & lots in between
Finally, what is it about music that brought you here?: Steve Kimock Band on JC4,


arrrrgghh
canceled my reservation this week, before the first big payment was due
will consider re-booking later, depending on how things play out these next few months
starting a new job on Monday so tbd if I'd even be able to get the time off
plus I have mixed feelings about the decision to go to an even bigger boat... last time the transition did not go smoothly at all
not to mention leaving from a new port
am thinking maybe I'll give C9 a year to get it all dialed in
and then maybe be back next year
although adding Bandalabra would make me reconsider all of this again, but... sure doesn't seem like that is gonna happen


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's get to know each other
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:21 pm
Posts: 3096
Location: 'Nawlins...the FUNK capitol of the world!
Sparky~ wrote:
Sparky~ wrote:
damn you forum users and this great thread...!!

had pretty much made up my mind I was gonna cancel my reservation, but now I read this thread & I'm once again not sure anymore... in the meantime I will play this game while I keep trying to decide

Where from?: Seattle area (grew up in NJ, been here 20+ years)
Male/Female?: Female
Been to JC before?: 6 in a row (4-10), skipped last year to do JazzFest instead. on the fence between JC & JF for next year, don't have the time/money to do both. Really hoped Bandalabra would be on board this year, that would've sealed the deal for me
What do you do for a living/for fun?: planner by day, music freak by night. the Seattle music scene is in-fucking-credible!!

and most importantly, music:
Play any instruments?: nope
Favorite bands/artists?: Dead, Kimock, Skerik/Bandalabra, GPJr, New Mastersounds, McTuff (Joe FREAKIN' Doria & Andy FREAKIN' Coe, yo!) and lots & lots in between
Finally, what is it about music that brought you here?: Steve Kimock Band on JC4,


arrrrgghh
canceled my reservation this week, before the first big payment was due
will consider re-booking later, depending on how things play out these next few months
starting a new job on Monday so tbd if I'd even be able to get the time off
plus I have mixed feelings about the decision to go to an even bigger boat... last time the transition did not go smoothly at all
not to mention leaving from a new port
am thinking maybe I'll give C9 a year to get it all dialed in
and then maybe be back next year
although adding Bandalabra would make me reconsider all of this again, but... sure doesn't seem like that is gonna happen


the best way to get to know each other better is to be on da boat! we keeping fingers, toes, legs, arms and eyes crossed for ya Sparky!

_________________
LIRR, JC4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 & booked for 13
The Mrs. JC3,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 & booked for 13
[color=#BF40BF][/color]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's get to know each other
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:10 pm
Posts: 1294
Location: Seattle'ish
LIRR wrote:
the best way to get to know each other better is to be on da boat! we keeping fingers, toes, legs, arms and eyes crossed for ya Sparky!


THANKS!
I have such mixed feelings about all of this but for now need to focus on settling in at my new gig, and hopefully "the answer" will become more clear to me
But! If not on the boat I'd say odds are good you will see me back in NOLA next spring = oh, yeah


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's get to know each other
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:57 pm
Posts: 3029
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Where from?: Tallahassee, FL
Male/Female?: All man
Been to JC before?: 9 of them. 3 - 11
What do you do for a living/for fun?: Work = I'm a merchandiser on a reset team (we fuck up grocery stores). Previously I worked in a print shop for 13+ years. / Fun = Live music and disc golf.

and most importantly, music: Hello, my name is Bob and I'm a live music addict.
Play any instruments?: I've tried everything, but I can't play any of them. Every band needs an audience.
Favorite bands/artists?: Pearl Jam, Derek Trucks Band, Robert Cray Band, Giant Panda Guerilla Dub Squad, Buddy Guy, ABB, UM, Ernest Ranglin...... currently can't stop listening to Spirit Family Reunion.
Finally, what is it about music that brought you here?: The hotdog pizza

Bob


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's get to know each other
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:10 pm
Posts: 2402
Location: Vista, CA
Where from?: Originally Sweden but live in Vista, CA now with 5 females and an unknown. Ok, I'll explain. A wife, a dog (female), 3 chickens and a frog (unknown, because frogs don't have ... eh, alright, let's move on...)
Male/Female?: Who me? Dude!
Been to JC before?: Yes. 6,7,9,10,11. Guess the next number in the series.
What do you do for a living/for fun?: For a living I do geeky stuff. I mean real mad scientist insanely complicated geeky stuff. I did not invent the Internet though, that was Al. For fun? Well, four things I love doing for fun are hanging with great peeps, traveling, music and being at sea. I'm trying to figure out a way to combine them all. :THINK:

and most importantly, music:
Play any instruments?: Yes. I willingly and badly play the clarinet, banjo, mandolin and guitar. I have tried many other things too, including balalaika and didgeridoo! I have on occasions been seen playing some of these at The Spot when there are not too many of the superstars there scaring me away...
Favorite bands/artists?: I'm an omnivore. I've gone through so many phases. Right now my favorites pretty much coincides with the JC12 lineup. I don't even know how many times I've seen Karl, Skerik, Les, MD, Eric, RW and the rest of the usual suspects tearing it up. NMS are great, March 4th was a great new discovery from last year for me, and Dumpstaphunk and Orgone on the same boat, holy guacamole! And the Dickingson brothers coming to teach. Love the Stringdusters. And Victor Wooten and Les on the same boat at the same time, STFU!!! :DANCE:
Finally, what is it about music that brought you here?: It's the whole atmosphere. It's more than music. It's more than a cruise. It's a whole experience created in close interaction between artists and audience. It's not only them playing for us, it is all of us creating something together that we will draw upon for the rest of the year between cruises, to be and to do better than we were and we did before walking up that gangway!
(Feel free to add any other questions): Why is an electrical outlet called an outlet when you plug things into it? Shouldn't it be called an inlet?

_________________
Image
What if it's all real?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's get to know each other
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:00 pm
Posts: 4761
Location: philly
I'm a daywalking vampire manatee.

_________________
livin' my life like it's golden


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's get to know each other
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:57 pm
Posts: 3029
Location: Tallahassee, FL
odman wrote:
Why is an electrical outlet called an outlet when you plug things into it? Shouldn't it be called an inlet?


It let's out the electricity!

Bob


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's get to know each other
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:10 pm
Posts: 2402
Location: Vista, CA
JustBob wrote:
odman wrote:
Why is an electrical outlet called an outlet when you plug things into it? Shouldn't it be called an inlet?


It let's out the electricity!

Bob


Congratulations to your post #3000, Bob. And thanks for the enlightenment! So, just wondering... Not arguing or anything, just one of these things... if it's AC (alternating current), how is it possible to say that it's "letting out" electricity? But then I guess it would be equally debatable whether a speaker "let's out" sound? This stuff is complicated! :lol:

_________________
Image
What if it's all real?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's get to know each other
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:19 pm
Posts: 1013
Location: Phoenix
I can't remember if it was Steven Wright or George Carlin but this is one I always ponder

"why do you have a pair of panties but just one bra"

_________________
"oh mama ain't it good to be alive"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's get to know each other
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:57 pm
Posts: 3029
Location: Tallahassee, FL
odman wrote:
JustBob wrote:
odman wrote:
Why is an electrical outlet called an outlet when you plug things into it? Shouldn't it be called an inlet?


It let's out the electricity!

Bob


Congratulations to your post #3000, Bob. And thanks for the enlightenment! So, just wondering... Not arguing or anything, just one of these things... if it's AC (alternating current), how is it possible to say that it's "letting out" electricity? But then I guess it would be equally debatable whether a speaker "let's out" sound? This stuff is complicated! :lol:


It then lets it back in. In/outlet just sounded funny.

Bob


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's get to know each other
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:44 pm
Posts: 927
Location: Brooklyn
JustBob wrote:
It then lets it back in. In/outlet just sounded funny.



Maybe we should just call it a plug.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Let's get to know each other
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:45 pm
Posts: 2972
Location: Lovettsville VA
y'all are turning "let's get to know each other" into yet another Completely Useless Thread (TM) :P carry on ;)

_________________
coming soon...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group