The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jamaica Advice
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:01 pm 

Staying Safe in Jamaica

Do your research. It’s a popular misconception that drugs are legal in Jamaica. Not true. We might have the best marijuana in the world but don’t even think of taking any back with you. If you are caught, you will be arrested and thrown in jail and believe me, you don’t want to land in a Jamaican jail. Most, if not all, are overcrowded and were built for punishment, not comfort. Land in jail and you could wait many unpleasant months before you get your day in court.
Alert your country’s embassy or consulate where you’ll be staying and for how long.
Leave your itinerary, including flight number/s, and hotel name and phone number with at least one friend and family member.
Have copies of your passport and IDs in case either is lost or stolen.
Don’t take valuables, including expensive jewelry, on trips. Leave them in the hotel safe. Better yet, leave them at home.
Keep your eyes on your luggage at all times.
If you decide to venture off on your own, ask the concierge, or the staff if you’re staying in a villa, to recommend a taxi service and/or reputable driver.
If you’re staying in a private villa or someone’s home, ask whether there’s security on the premises.
Take only the cash you need for the day and don’t flash it around.
Leave expensive gadgets, like smart phones and iPads, at the hotel.
Be aware of your surroundings at all times. If something doesn’t feel right, make your way back to safety.
People here can be friendly but before you wander off to someplace unfamiliar with someone you’ve just met, tell a friend where you’re going, with whom and when you plan to return. And do it in the person’s presence. You’d be surprised how often visitors, especially young women, go off with guys they know little about. I met one last year. She left Negril and had traveled cross-country to Kingston with a guy she met on the beach. Luckily for her, he was on the up and up, but what if he wasn’t?
In Jamaica, as anywhere, beauty and danger live side by side. Exercise caution. Don’t abandon your commonsense because you’re on vacation. If you wouldn’t do something risky at home, chances are, you shouldn’t do it here.

Source: http://insidejourneys.com/is-jamaica-a- ... -to-visit/

Post subject: Re: Jamaica Advice
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:33 pm 

buy coffee from barbara

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:33 pm 

Fooddude wrote:
buy coffee from barbara

seconded, yep. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:09 am 

Tai wrote:
Fooddude wrote:
buy coffee from barbara

seconded, yep. :)

dbl 2nd'd!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:32 am 

went to Jamaica on my first honeymoon, had a ball despite the person I was with :SICK:

We hired a guy to drive us around one day. At one point, he showed us a jamaican jail from the road. Looked like a real pit, one small hole for a window. About 20 minutes later we came up on roadblock. I was thrown against the car and searched. Didn't have anything on me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:03 pm 

Note to self: stay on boat (again).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:45 am 

as I remember Falmouth was a huge dump. I wanted to walk the town and find some real jerk chicken. all the food stands I saw in the town were pizza burgers and other shitty food I could get at home anytime. the rest was people trying to sell junk and pushers trying to sell me weed. we ended up going back to port and getting jerk chicken from a small shack inside there. thinking I might just catch up on some sleep when we pull into Jamaica

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:41 am 

well we love jamaica,,,we've learned that we need to take some risk, by walking way out of the port town,,where there are no more "Pushers, no more white people",,,,we've found local grocery stores, where we've bought local spices and such & houses that have food in the yard, where there is no menu, no uniforms, only 2 items to choose from, chix or fish,,,,its truly amazing when you get past the port crowd and make it to where the locals that dont hustle live, the locals have treated us real well,,,we've done this all 3x's that we've stopped in jamaica...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:44 pm 

My possie and I stumbled around Falmouth, naively looking for a beach and feeling quite out of place and conspicuous. Out of the blue, a cruiser heading toward us pointed to a little unmarked shack and promised us wonderful food and beer inside. We ended up hanging with local fishermen as they brought in their catch and cooked it up in the cafe just steps away. We talked to Rastas about the nature of god. We watched pelicans hang in the air over the boats and listened to the breeze in the palms. We traded for conch shells and jewelry. We made friends with uniformed school children and left them with our sunglasses. Time seemed to slow down. The people there were warm and giving, and Jamaica was very good to us.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:04 am 

abeautifulday365 wrote:
My possie and I stumbled around Falmouth, naively looking for a beach and feeling quite out of place and conspicuous. Out of the blue, a cruiser heading toward us pointed to a little unmarked shack and promised us wonderful food and beer inside. We ended up hanging with local fishermen as they brought in their catch and cooked it up in the cafe just steps away. We talked to Rastas about the nature of god. We watched pelicans hang in the air over the boats and listened to the breeze in the palms. We traded for conch shells and jewelry. We made friends with uniformed school children and left them with our sunglasses. Time seemed to slow down. The people there were warm and giving, and Jamaica was very good to us.

so glad to hear that we weren't the only ones that had a truly magical time feeling/being treated like a local!

really looking forward to this stop!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:09 am 

LIRR wrote:
well we love jamaica,,,we've learned that we need to take some risk, by walking way out of the port town,,where there are no more "Pushers, no more white people",,,,we've found local grocery stores, where we've bought local spices and such & houses that have food in the yard, where there is no menu, no uniforms, only 2 items to choose from, chix or fish,,,,its truly amazing when you get past the port crowd and make it to where the locals that dont hustle live, the locals have treated us real well,,,we've done this all 3x's that we've stopped in jamaica...

I can only say You and Mindy were the best tour guides in Ocho Rios!. I have a picture of the four of us sitting at the café on my JC wall at home. Much love to you both and can't wait for 12!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:06 am 

ludlow66 wrote:
LIRR wrote:

I can only say You and Mindy were the best tour guides in Ocho Rios!. I have a picture of the four of us sitting at the café on my JC wall at home. Much love to you both and can't wait for 12!!!!

let's do it together this year!!!! We can't wait for JC12 and to give ya'll hugs!!! mucho love!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:06 pm 

LIRR wrote:

let's do it together this year!!!! We can't wait for JC12 and to give ya'll hugs!!! mucho love!!!

That was going to be a recover (sleep day) but what the hell I can sleep when I am dead.