The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: MSC app?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:40 pm 

I prefer the old school approach. This is where I will be and if I am not there I will see you when I see you no feelings hurt. I also love this thread after I watched the RELIX video talking about connecting to one another in another way instead of our technology. :) :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:20 am 

JustBob wrote:
I want to try sending a message while in airplane mod to see what happens.

Ok. I design chips that go into cell phones for a living. In theory I'm supposed to know something about this. Airplane mode shuts of all radios. And then you will send a message? Depending on what phone you have either you will get an error message or the message will be stored and sent when you turn the radio back on again.
Screw cellphones. We're on a ship. Let's use signal flags.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:58 am 

odman wrote:
JustBob wrote:

Ok. I design chips that go into cell phones for a living. In theory I'm supposed to know something about this. Airplane mode shuts of all radios. And then you will send a message? Depending on what phone you have either you will get an error message or the message will be stored and sent when you turn the radio back on again.

Let's start with Q the yellow flag, quarantine, no one is allowed to leave the ship until officially cleared. W

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:05 pm 

I used the Contact Us form on the Ship Mate app website. I asked if we could use the chat app while on board. They replied quickly with this:

Quote:
Hey Wes,

The Chat function won't work while you're on the ship unless you're using their network. Roughly half of the features will still work, like Deck Maps, Contact List, Ship and Port Info, Itinerary, etc.

Most people use the app in the months prior to sailing to get excited for their cruise and meet others they're sailing with.

We appreciate any promotion you can offer.

Thanks so much,

Mike Jirout

So no chat on the boat, but it's a nice way to get to know folks you're cruising with beforehand. Deck Maps are pretty nice.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:56 am 

odman wrote:
JustBob wrote:

In theory you are correct, it probably should. But, Wifi and bluetooth remain active in airplane mode. A good example is a cell phone in airplane mode while using the airplane's onboard wifi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:10 pm 

My iPhone gets no signal when in airplane mode. Not even wifi. I'm unsure about Bluetooth.

I didn't think it would work on the boat, but wished it would. The app has the best deck maps I've seen, so I'm keeping it for that.

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:12 pm 

I don't think you guys are using the app I posted about. It's called the MSC Divina Traveller app.

From what I've read, it's only accessible on the ship so you can't get to it beforehand.

I liken it to a hotel situation -once on board the ship you access it by opening up a web browser which probably asks for your room number or something.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:16 pm 

that sounds a bit more promising.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:47 pm 

OK, Tracy is correct. We had the wrong app. I went looking and found a bunch of info on this thing. Also, I learned a new trick with the iPhone.

From and MSC rep on cruise critic "The MSC Divina Traveller App is only accessible onboard the ship. You don't need to purchase a WiFi package to access and it is completely free. To access the app, just open up a web browser on your smartphone and you will be prompted to login with your Internet ID that can be found on your cruise card."

This app works free with the ships wifi and it has the chat. I don't think it will chime or vibrate, but if you check it once in a while you will get your messages.

iPhone users. Go to settings, put phone in airplane mode, touch wifi, turn it on. You will notice that you're still in airplane mode, but wifi is on. The cellular line with still read airplane mode, but the wifi will connect. The same can be done with bluetooth if you have one of those speakers with you. I feel like a caveman sitting by a fire when another caveman rides by on a bicycle :shock:

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:37 am 

nice. that's gonna drain some battery tho. i'll probably only turn on wifi when/if i check it.

eta: i'll probably just rely on my time tested methods of finding my friends, like following the music or going to the nearest bar. :DANCE: