The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Masters Camp recap?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:07 pm 

I didn't get much of a chance to talk to those who took part in Masters Camp while on the ship.

How was it? Was it what you expected? Highlights?

And how would you characterize the typical proficiency of the "camper"? I'm very interested in this, but a little concerned that I'm too much of a hack.

JC 10, JC 11, JC 12, JC 13 cabin 8182

Post subject: Re: Masters Camp recap?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:45 pm 

If you wanted to jam, you would get a chance. All kinds of different players so I don't think that mattered. Unfortunately I slept thru some of the sessions and some sessions went up against music i had to see. Ironically some of the stuff Luther talked about was almost exact opposite of what Kimock talked about when I went to a master camp he held a few years ago. All and all a good experience..It was cool to hear victor talk but it was a lot of the stuff thats in his book. TAZ held it down

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:25 pm 

I made it to the two 10am classes and the two 2pm workshops on the two days at sea. That's it.
And it was totally worth it. I'd do it again next year in a heartbeat 8) :CLAP:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:42 pm 

sch21c wrote:
I didn't get much of a chance to talk to those who took part in Masters Camp while on the ship.

How was it? Was it what you expected? Highlights?

And how would you characterize the typical proficiency of the "camper"? I'm very interested in this, but a little concerned that I'm too much of a hack.

It was awesome. I didn't do many of the classes, just the in the pocket class with Vic and Cody....but that was really cool. I also saw every end of day group improve and open mic. Those were actually really cool. Everyone got to play....and the proficiency ranged from really good to absolute beginner. There were no judgments on people newer to playing....in fact, the thing was set up for basic to intermediate level musicians overall. Then there was that little Brandon kid....who was probably one of the better guitar players in the class! Aamazing.... I had no expectations, so it exceeded them all.

Favorite part for me was end of day jam with Victor and guest Stanley Jordan on an epic like 15 min version of Little Wing.....sofa king awesome!!!

If you are considering it and you have the money, DO IT!!! Don't let your proficiency level hold you back....it was just too cool, too informative, and too much fun to miss....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:12 pm 

Pretty sure i won the worst student award this year. Anybody else sign up and not go?