The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Don't Cruise If You're Sick, M'Kay?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:22 am 

I pretty much expect to get sick as part of my JC experience (because I always do, and because I understand that illness is rampant on cruise ships), but still do everything possible to avoid it. This year, I did a fruit and veggie fast before the cruise, ate healthy meals on the boat, took vitamins and Echinacea every day, and was militant about my hand washing. Still, my cabin mate and I both got what turned out to be viral bronchitis.

We could have contracted the bronchitis anywhere...even from someone who had no idea they were carrying it. Things happen. But, I am very upset about the number of cruisers who have admitted to boarding JC12 with major illnesses. Some have even expressed pride that they were able to get through the cruise while being very sick. One member of my crew ended up with the flu after meeting a cruiser who admitted to bringing it onboard.

Yes, I know sick people board cruises every single day, but that doesn't mean it's ok.

Yes, I am "butt-hurt" about this topic (and "head-hurt", and "sinus-hurt", and "lung-hurt", and "every-muscle-in-my-body-hurt").

If you KNOW you have a full-blown contagious illness, then it is your responsibility, as a member of this extended family and as a decent human being, to keep off the boat. Yes, it majorly, MAJORLY sucks to get sick before JC (we all live in fear of it), but if you are sick it's up to you to deal with it in an adult manner. It's completely selfish and reckless to bring an illness into a situation that is, essentially, a quarantine of thousands of people.

There are only 2 reasons for knowingly bringing an illness onto a cruise ship:
(1) Your fun is more important than other people's health
(2) Your money is more important than other people's health and/or money

Let's talk about #2:

There are precisely zero sane reasons to spend thousands of dollars on a vacation and then not spend $70 on travel insurance.

Because of the sickness I brought home from the boat, I missed a week of work. Even if I had been physically capable of working, which I was not, I had a responsibility not to sicken my coworkers and patients. Now that I've made my husband (who didn't even cruise this year) sick, he has missed 3 days and counting. What's more, once the bronchitis combines with his asthma, we may have to pay out-of-pocket for him to go to the hospital. When all is said and done, the money we will have lost will more than equal, or greatly surpass, whatever a sick person without travel insurance would have lost by staying off the boat.

Please remember you are part of a family, and behave the way you would wish for others to behave. Being a family isn't just talking the talk, but walking the walk. We're here to have fun, but we're also here to look out for each other.

Post subject: Re: Don't Cruise If You're Sick, M'Kay?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:06 pm 

4 out of 6 cruises I have come back sick. 1 of the 6 cruises I got on the boat sick. I'd like to think of it as more of a payback then doing it out of my own greed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:00 am 

I have the same crud as everyone else and did the same as you being very healthy before the curise. My wife got it first and was down all day Tuesday in the cabin.

I was thinking of this the other day as I was hacking up a lung on inside vs outside cabins. I was in an inside cabin and wondered since I have been sick 3 of 4 years and the one year I did not get sick was the year in a balcony cabin. Just checking to see if more inside vs outsie are sick.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:25 am 

That's interesting. I've had an inside cabin every time, and have been sick every time. Our friends across the hall in the balcony room never got sick this year. However, my friend who caught the flu was also in a balcony room.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:11 am 

4 cruises, 4 balcony rooms, no Jam flu....ever. I am over 50 and actually forgot to get my flu shot this year but still didn't get sick. Do you think it is the naps?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:50 am 

I have started bringing antibacterial hand soap with me and using it every time I go back to my room. Ever since I started that I don't get sick after the boat anymore. I don't use it in my regular life, because I think it's good to have a fair amount of germs to fight off on your own, but I think it really helps on the boat.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:25 am 

i wanna cover all issues about this and here's a big one,,,,,,the folks at cloud 9 have made jamcruise head and shoulders above any and every fest out there,,one of the biggest reasons is the "repeat offender" program,,,,i can't even count how many people over the years have said "i gotta go this year, i get my robe",,,,,and as time passes the people will soon be saying "i gotta go this year, as i become a lifer"

so my question is this,,,,,,,if you are paid in full {w/ or w/o insurance} and you get sick the day we board,,,and you look out for the well being of all the other cruisers and choose not to cruise due to the illness,,,,would you still get credit for the cruise?

I'm just putting this ? out there......

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:26 am 

considering the amount of time and money people invest in jamcruise year round, i'm not at all suprised that someone would choose not to bail last minute when they have a cold. i've never (knowingly) brought anything on the boat, but i definitely wouldn't be inclined to skip my hard earned vacation over anything minor. if it's not bad enough for me to go to doctor, it's definitely not bad enough to keep me off jamcruise. i can't speak from experience, but i doubt it's terribly easy to get a full refund for health reasons unless you're seriously ill.

all of that said, i think there will always be bugs on the boat because it's a cruise ship and there always are. catching one is a risk we all accept when we board, and i think the onus for defensive action lies with each of us. i obviously sympathize with people who get sick. i think most of us who go year after year have been laid low at one point or another and it's no fun, but bitching at other people for your health is a waste of time. so do what you can to mitigate the risk and move on.

:BEEF:

edit to add: if i'm ever sick enough to miss the boat, getting repeat offender credit would be the least of my worries.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:55 pm 

Guess what , in life sometimes you get sick.

Deal with it and quit blaming your problems on someone else. :BOOHOO:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:16 pm 

col4bin wrote:
considering the amount of time and money people invest in jamcruise year round, i'm not at all suprised that someone would choose not to bail last minute when they have a cold. i've never (knowingly) brought anything on the boat, but i definitely wouldn't be inclined to skip my hard earned vacation over anything minor. if it's not bad enough for me to go to doctor, it's definitely not bad enough to keep me off jamcruise. i can't speak from experience, but i doubt it's terribly easy to get a full refund for health reasons unless you're seriously ill.

all of that said, i think there will always be bugs on the boat because it's a cruise ship and there always are. catching one is a risk we all accept when we board, and i think the onus for defensive action lies with each of us. i obviously sympathize with people who get sick. i think most of us who go year after year have been laid low at one point or another and it's no fun, but bitching at other people for your health is a waste of time. so do what you can to mitigate the risk and move on.

:BEEF:

edit to add: if i'm ever sick enough to miss the boat, getting repeat offender credit would be the least of my worries.

I have to agree with you. Everyone needs to take responsibility for their own wellness on board. Assume everyone else is sick and don't share drinks and wash your hands CONSTANTLY and don't make out with randoms. It was shocking the number of ladies that I saw come out of the bathroom and not wash their hands. I go in assuming that all of you are germ bags. I am sick post cruise less since adopting this mentality. If I had a cold i would not stay off the boat. I would wash my hands a lot and not share drinks with people. But I do that anyway because, as I said, all of you are germ bags.

Also, LOTS of people are sick that weren't even on the boat. It's the time of year for it. Odds are you could get sick anyway and it may not be from another cruiser.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:07 am 

I get sick most every year and I attribute it to working long hours to finish work before I can leave for the boat then partying like its 1999 with no rest. You are bound to have weakened immunity by that time. It just sucks because the post cruise afterglow is accompanied with, hacking, coughing, pounding headache and such. No one to blame but myself.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:41 am 

It's kind of redundant to what Ludlow and Hillary said but this happens to people at every land festival and multi-night Phish runs (or Furthur, SCI, whatever floats your boat) too. It's not just the fact that we are on a boat staying up for 18 hours dancing and drinking, etc.. for 4 or 5 days is tough on the body. Flying is tough on the body too. JC didn't invent the wook flu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:34 am 

I agree that staying well on a cruise ship is an uphill battle. I agree that each person is responsible for taking healthy precautions. That's why I mentioned those things in my original post. I also agree that I would board the boat with a minor issue, and I would still board if I started to feel a little funny the day of sailing. I am referring to the people who knowingly bring major illnesses into the midst of us all (and even brag about it). I would NOT do that, and I'm not going to agree that there's a justification for doing that. If posting my concern about something I should legitimately be concerned about means I'm "bitching", then I guess I'm bitching. I care about you weirdos, and I would hope others would care enough to do what's best for everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:17 pm 

abeautifulday365 wrote:
If posting my concern about something I should legitimately be concerned about means I'm "bitching", then I guess I'm bitching. I care about you weirdos, and I would hope others would care enough to do what's best for everyone.

We care about you too. :D And we all bitch about something. I know I bitched about not going to the Bahamas ALL DAY. lol I think you're right about serious illness though. I just think it's a really fuzzy line and I know that it would be VERY hard to stay off the boat that close to ship time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:09 pm 

i bitched about not being able to avoid the warren haynes set. :SILENCED: