The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: General Cleanliness
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:51 am 

MissAslan please cover your eyes.

Maybe it's inevitable, but I'm sick ( :CLAP: ) of getting wook flu after the boat.

I'm disappointed that over the past 2 years it seems like people have somehow forgotten about basic hygiene when they come on the boat. This year, I think I can count the number of times that I saw people washing their hands in the public bathrooms on two hands. C'mon people!

A few years back, people finally figured out that if you don't want to get sick after the cruise, then everyone needs to wash their hands -- and there were often lines in the bathroom of people waiting to wash their hands. There's just so much high-fiving, drink sharing, and other transference activities, that it should be everyone's job to do their part and help prevent Jam Cruise Virus / Wook Flu.

I have to say, too, that MSC didn't help this year. There were MANY instances where there was no soap in the public restrooms and I heard that even one room didn't have soap the entire week.

Hillary and I always bring on a few bottles of anti-bacterial soap for our rooms. Next year, we want to encourage everyone to bring one for them, one for the boat -- to donate to the restrooms to help prevent the wook flu. Maybe even put up additional signs in the restrooms. I don't always think anti-bac is a great idea, but it's made for these situations.

Post subject: Re: General Cleanliness
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:56 am 

I agree........weak immune systems suck

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:15 am 

This should be in the pro tips/FAQ or part of the answer to the what should I pack - 'what am I forgetting' question that gets asked every year! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:37 am 

I didnt shake any hands on the boat this year. Fist bumps or hugs. I even avoided the high fives. Didnt get sick at all.

Although i do agree that the cleanliness needs to be stress more by Cloud 9 and MSC. I noticed way more people not washing in the bathrooms than in years past. God forbid we ever get some cruise ship virus on our boat. I fear it would travel way faster than on a normal cruise. We do way more sharing, high fives and hugs than a standard cruise

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:48 am 

Cover my eyes? I think that is an excellent post!

Noro virus is the worst thing ever! Anti bacterial solutions don't work on it either.. And many of you doubt me, but I think that is a huge part of the problem & while you might not have Noro symptoms..I truly believe it weakens your system & allows the flu to take over.

I also recommend bleach! Bleach your room down before unpacking. Not the typical wipes, but a bleach & water solution.

Now the hard part is not sharing bottles of champs! LOL

Washing hands is the best solution for all germs! Warm soapy water for at least 2 songs of the ABC's .. See how much I'm learning from this Mommy gig :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:59 am 

I'm still right! Ya know! When I puked all over my room all they did was get a wet-vac..no actual cleaning took place on that carpet..then the next two cruises were fraught with sickness on cruise critics.

No more hugs, only fist bumps for you! :DROOL:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:48 pm 

I'm definitely going strong on this soap campaign for next year. One for your room. One for the boat. I think it's vitally important. Given all the sickness that cruise ships are notorious for, the one thing that they should never be out of is soap. Or bottled water, but that's a different discussion. I'm a hand washer. The lack of soap truly bothered me. And yes, I had friends who never had soap in their cabin bathroom all week. I was sad that I only brought 2 bottles, because I could have given away 50.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:50 pm 

MissAslan wrote:

Don't threaten me with fist bumps. I'll lick your face. It's okay though. My hands will be clean.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:49 pm 

Hillary wrote:
MissAslan wrote:

Don't threaten me with fist bumps. I'll lick your face. It's okay though. My hands will be clean.

I was talking to Paul at Camp Barefoot about this subject and he thinks your mouth is way better than your hands,which is correct,so go ahead and lick Pauls face.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:13 pm 

longhairedfreak007 wrote:
Hillary wrote:
MissAslan wrote:

I was talking to Paul at Camp Barefoot about this subject and he thinks your mouth is way better than your hands,which is correct,so go ahead and lick Pauls face.

:DROOL:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:07 am 

If you guys know me you know I'm a very clean person. Washing my hands on the boat is very important to me. I ware contacts and touching my eyes happens over and over. It's your eyes that let in so many germs. Your mouth fights them. Your nose puts up a good fight. Your eyes have no protection. Make sure your hands are clean before you touch or rub your eyes!!!

Our cabin ran our of hand soap in the sink as well. At first it was shooting out all over the place. We just ended up using the body wash from the shower stale to wash our hands. We both bring on our own bar soap too, so it was not a big deal for us.

Another tip is to keep your hands off door handles. Especially in the pubic restrooms. Use the paper towel you dry your hands with to open the door and hold it open with an elbow or foot.

BTW, I didn't get sick at all. I did all the bad things: hugs, kisses, handshakes, high 5s, and drink sharing. Maybe less drink sharing then most years. Most times I only had rum on ice or watered down rum and less people wanted that then my mixed drinks. Next year I'm thinking about going flask and bottle of water only. If someone wants water I just give it to them. I'll have more in my backpack. Testing that out at Aura very soon. I've had zero soda since JC. I want to keep it that way.

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:47 pm 

No sickness in our krewe. We forgot our bar of soap (never again) but other than that, lots of hand washing and I used Purell everytime I passed one.
I did get sea sick once I landed back on land, but that was purely from the motion of ocean. Lasted through Wed of return and the swaying lasted 9 days from port.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:54 pm 

i will try to wash my hands for you but i still think you should just put up with getting sick....your children will be stronger.....think of the children

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:44 am 

collins wrote:
i will try to wash my hands for you but i still think you should just put up with getting sick....your children will be stronger.....think of the children

Lol. I'm sick now and I'm blaming my children. Dirty little monsters.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:52 pm 

Super exciting about being back on the boat!! Haven't been since JC 8. Anyway...just thinking everyone should stockpile some soap from the hotels we're staying at. Then we can share the extras!