The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cruise reviews
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:03 pm 

i think you all should read all of these reviews to get a good sense of what we are getting into.

lets see if administration actaully lets this post live.

http://www.cruisereviews.com/ImperialMa ... Breeze.htm

i am not trying to be a negative nelly, i am on this ship and think it will be fun, but if the cost for the 2day cruise runs about 200 a person then they better not be serving me shitty food and watered down drinks with a 30% gratiuity written in for my $1200 for 4 days . I hope and pray that the ppl that organized this event made it very clear that subpar accomodations, service and food will not be tolerated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:10 pm 
Site Admin

Evenstar, have you read every review there? Out of the 11 reviews posted, 8 of them give the ship high marks for service, food, amenties, etc.

Yes, the ship is not the Royal Caribbean, but it it will make for a perfect setting for what will take place those 4 days in January.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:24 am 

Yup, I read all of the reviews. That is why I posted a link to all the reviews rather than being selective about what to post. The bad reviews are terrible. The good reviews say many of the same things the bad ones do, but find a more polite and positive method of getting the information across.

I understand that this is not the Royal Carribean. If it were, they would not be charging 4$ for softdrinks and water. (And I might add that of all of this, I do find it most appaling that we will be charged outragous amounts of money to drink water and soda the entire time we are on this ship. This is worse than Clear Channel)

I think reviews like this give ppl a good sense of what to expect both good and bad, and set expectations at a reasonable level.

I am willingly forking over my hard earned cash for this event. I sincerely hope that I walk in with low expectations and walk away pleased.

Honestly, we all have to walk away pleased, and not feel scammed. Our little music community spends too much time on the computer typing reviews and hanging out on message boards to tolerate anything less than pleased.

Post subject: Getting charged for WATER!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:03 am 
The notion of being stuck on a ship for 4 days and being charged for water does not sit real well with me. You'd think the $1200 I'm paying for the priveledge of being on this cruise would entitle me to complimentary water at the very least. Really folks, even death row prisoners get complimentary water when they are thirsty. I'll be bringing my Brita pitcher. Have a nice day :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:19 am 
Ok after reading the review that mentions the "brown tinted water" that comes from the faucets, I will retract my smart assed comment about the Brita pitcher. On a serious note, does anyone have the name of the new ship so we can check out some reviews of it. Seems a little silly to get worked up about reviews of the old ship. Thanks.

Post subject: Regal Empress Reviews
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:55 am 
http://www.cruisereviews.com/RegalCruis ... mpress.htm

Post subject: Review
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:21 am 
http://www.sealetter.com/Dec-01/regale.html [/url]

Post subject: boat sold all lost
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:25 pm 
no shit boat has been sold

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:27 pm 

The Regal Empress seems fine to me and I'm stoked there is what seems to be a bit of an upgrade. I would like to know how much extra things will cost me on board, but I'm not terribly worried. If some things cost extra for this, so be it. You can still get you're deposit back. Take a deeeeeeep breath. I think people have worked their butts off to get this amazing thing to happen and I'll be there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:11 pm 

yeah, i got the call from madison house... the empress (i.e. the regal) is built around the same time, but does seem to have been slightly better maintained. We upgraded to a room with a veranda, so i am very excited.

Regarding the reviews, it now gets confusing. The empress reviews are for a cruise operator that is totally defunct. So fantastic food and service reviews mean nothing... it is still the original reviews that will give indication of the food, service, tour costs, drinks etc.

I did read the fine print when i signed on, beverages was listed as an incidental fee. I didnt realize that meant water. Fine... now we know what that means.

In an ideal world, the organizers might find a way to subsidize soda and water with a portion of their profit. But this is not an ideal world.

They will probably charge us 4.00 for a glass of water. On top of the gratuity that they have already written in for the cruise, they will then add an automatic 15% on top of that for anything we order. It just seems a bit smarmy. But at least I know this going into it.

If I walked on board only to discover this info, I would freak out.
At least now I am prepared, and I can make the decision to go or not go based on this.

Post subject: Current prices
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:17 pm 
Cruise ships do charge extra for some beverages. We are currently working on bringing a top notch microbrewery on board to add to the ships current selection of beer. We are also trying to get a special price on a select beer and liquor drink.
The current prices on the Imperial Majesty are as follows

sodas range from 1.50-175
bottled water 1 litre 2.75 .5 litre 2.25
domestic beer 3.25 bahamian beer 3.50 european beer 3.50 and mexican beer 3.75
cocktails range from 4.25 to 4.75 and specialty drinks are 4.95.
cigarettes are 2.75
also a 15% gratuity will be added to your order

this should give you a good idea of prices and we will keep you updated about beer additions or any drink specials we hope to work out.

Post subject: new ship
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:18 pm 

8)
Hey, as long as its not some reeds bounded together with organic material I think that we'll be fine!
However, this talk of pricy non-alcoholic beverages is worrisome...are they gonna charge us for having beverages with the meals?
Are we simply paying for the opportunity for someone else to suck us dry, while hoping that we don't notice or don't care because we'll be having such fun with the music?
This krewe will not tolerate shanty conditions or rip-offs, as I am sure the ppl organizing all this know quite well.

Is there anyway to know menus and/or prices before we sail?
More information is needed for inquiring mindz...

Cheers!
i1

Post subject: Admin Guest
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:20 pm 

You mention that those prices are for the Imperial Majesty - is this just a rumor about the Regal Empress then OR WHAT?

I am curious now...

thanks!
i1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:28 pm 
The Imperial Majesty is the cruise line we are sailing on. Imperial Majesty is now simply replacing their current ship the Ocean Breeze with the ship they recently purchased The Regal Empress because they had the opportunity and feel it is an overall better ship.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:28 pm 

wow, jamcruise administration is ON THE BALL. Thank you for your prompt response. Your information is GREATLY appreciated. It also is different from the prices on the reviews, so it does seem like you have worked some magic.

I also just went to the history of the new ship and all i can say is i think we have gotten a much nicer boat.

and irie........ food is included. The only thing in question was the beverage which is not included in the price.