The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: beer prices?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 9:09 pm 
are we honestly supposed to beleive that beer will be reasonably priced, on the ship with the following prices:

$8.95/minute telephone calls
$0.50/minute internet usage
$8.00 ATM fee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 10:21 pm 

this was posted on the message board a few months ago:

sodas range from 1.50-175
bottled water 1 litre 2.75 .5 litre 2.25
domestic beer 3.25 bahamian beer 3.50 european beer 3.50 and mexican beer 3.75
cocktails range from 4.25 to 4.75 and specialty drinks are 4.95.
cigarettes are 2.75
also a 15% gratuity will be added to your order

if these are indeed the prices, i think they're reasonable.

especially the cigarette prices. hell, i live in the heart of tobacco country (NC) and pay more than that for my smokes here! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:19 am 
but who's counting...

certainly not the bartender...

Post subject: cig prices
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:51 am 
Smoke em if u got em!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:20 pm 

I say if the money is that much of an issue, when you are at the ports drink until you puke....or have to get back on the boat.

Just DON'T miss the boat. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:37 pm 

about a month ago i emailed (kathleen, i believe) about gratuities and was told that the $40 gratuity charge added to the cost of the cruise included everything - even tips for food and drinks. is this true? i hope i'm not getting slammed with a 15% gratutity for even drink i order.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:31 pm 

Yes, exactly WHAT does that $40 gratuity fee cover? Do I have to tip? Is it covered? What is covered?

I'm starting to get grumpy about the money thing here people.

The Colonel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:08 pm 

my understanding is that the $40 gratuity is automatic and covers all the ppl that work on the boat at minimum wage so they get some form of pay. each drink that you order will have an additional 15% tip tacked on... so dont tip them any more... they get that 15% much like room service at a hotel. who you should give cash to are the porter/steward assigned to your room and anyone who does go out of their way to make your stay special.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:46 pm 

from the imperial majesty website:

What about tipping?
For your convenience, gratuities will be charged to your onboard charge card at $19.50 per person. This covers all food and cabin services. Standard in the cruise industry, on a per-person per-night basis is: Cabin Steward $3.50, Waiter $3.50, Busboy $1.75, and Maitre d' $1.00. Other staff may be tipped as services are rendered. Please note that a 15% service charge will be included on all bar, wine and beauty salon tabs.

so maybe our $40 covers the same thing that the $19.50 covers on their other cruises? i dunno. i'm still kinda confused.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:32 am 

that makes sense........... since we seem to be getting financially screwed on every other aspect as well... why not charge us twice what they usually do for gratuity. ;)

i dont mind the extra 15 % tacked onto my bill... it means i dont have to think.

i dont even mind the double gratuity charge, cuz it also means i wont have to think.... as far as i am concerned, unless my ass is being kissed, you are not getting any more tip out of me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:25 am 
Site Admin

hey guys- the reason the gratuity is double is because the jam cruise is a 4 day sailing compared to the cruise line's traditional 2 day sailings. therefore the waiters, stewards, etc.. are getting tips on 4 days not 2 days.

bahama mama to you too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:10 am 

ok, that reason makes sense too :)
when you consider the number of ppl that it takes to run a floating hotel... and the low low wages that they get paid. $40 is nothing to be distributed out amongst them over 4 days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:35 am 

Quote:
... as far as i am concerned, unless my ass is being kissed, you are not getting any more tip out of me.

i'm sure it wont hurt to take extra care of your bartenders . . . it will work like any other bar . . . you take care of them, you'll be getting fatter cocktails and buybacks :mrgreen:

15% on a $4.75 drink is only $.70 . . . I'd be sliding the 'tender a couple of bucks on my first drink and at least $1 thereafter anyway :roll:

i'll be the guy always stumbling around cause my drinks are so strong :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:39 pm 

i guess i am old school, but when given the OPTION to tip, i tip very well, since my ex-husband ran a brewpub and half my friends were either bartenders or waiters.

HOWEVER, when i am told what the tip will be... thats about it... they have decided what the tip is... they automatically get my money if they suck, they automatically get my money if they dont do a good job... so unless they really really really kiss my ass... or as you brought up, i want to bribe my bartender.... they already have their money as far as i am concerned....

thats the catch 22 of the automatic tip included.... sometimes you could do better... but at least you know at the end of the night exactly what you have made.

Post subject: tipping
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:31 am 
evenstar wrote:
my understanding is that the $40 gratuity is automatic and covers all the ppl that work on the boat at minimum wage so they get some form of pay. each drink that you order will have an additional 15% tip tacked on... so dont tip them any more... they get that 15% much like room service at a hotel. who you should give cash to are the porter/steward assigned to your room and anyone who does go out of their way to make your stay special.

If you're not a total asshole, you should probably tip them. But hey, I'm gonna be working the whole time dreaming about going on this cruise growing angry at some slug that doesn't tip an underpaid sap like myself.