The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Traveling cross country for 6 weeks
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:46 am 

Yo,

I'm leaving on the 15th of June from CA heading to Phoenix than Albuquerque / Taos - Memphis, TN - Montgomery AL - Greensboro, NC - Philly than back through Pittsburgh - cleveland - Chicago - Minneapolis - 10K Lakes - Sioux City SD - Yellowstone -> Santa Cruz, CA :)

Luckily, I have a job, where all I need is internet access and a cell phone to work, so I just bought a cell modem and it works great - just plug laptop in car adapter and I am truly remotis dude. Those locations are to visit family and friends but I'm also planning to use Jambase as a guide for showtime. This tool on Jam Base is so cool. For those in above cities and possibly cities on route that I have to travel through (like Amarillo, TX, Oklahoma City, OK, Milwaukee, WI, etc) do you recommend any Jam band friendly bars on things to sure not miss? I'm not so interested in hitting the very touristy things, but more cool, out of way things that only locals perhaps may know about.

Thx,

shack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:06 pm 

what is it that you do Shack?
i might have to consider a career change.
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:31 pm 

When through Chicago I'd suggest seeing a show at Subterrannean, my favorite small venue here in the city. But sadly no real stellar bands are playing there anytime soon as its turning into a Indie and Emo venue now :( http://subt.net

Also for the best record store this side of the LA/SF Amoebas, check out Reckless Records at all 3 locations http://www.reckless.com/

Also if you like Gyros and traveling through Milwaukee stop at Mykonos Cafe as you will not find a better Gyros ANYWHERE in the world. Seriously. Sometimes I drive up from Chicago just to meetup w/ friends for lunch and head back home. It's that good!! http://www.foodspot.com/mykonos/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:44 pm 

Thanks Double A, I will hit those places for sure.

When I lived in Philly, I used to drive an hour downtown just to hit my favorite cheesesteak place Jim's. It figures that Jim's would open a new location 5 minutes from my house - after I move to CA. Now when I go to Philly, I hit local Jim's like 5-6 times in 1 week haha

I sell hard drives (like new Hitachi 1 terrabyte drive), been doing it for 20 years. Work for company in S CA, remotis, get paid straight commission, so sink or swim. Business up and down, but overall - usually good. All I need is internet access and cell phone - can work anywhere in world. Kids a bit older - cool wife - lets me go pretty much to any festy - why I usually hit 5-6 fests a year - usually JC, Langerado, Vegoose, Reggae on the River / Reggae Rising and perhaps 1-2 others. A couple groups of friends sold their house and everything and traveled around the world for a year, so it inspired me and my family to travel. My wife's a teacher so we plan to travel every year in summer time. Course I have to hit Jam festys :)

To do something like this - timing has to be right, $$, etc. so have to go for it when can. But Jam Cruise is done deal no matter if I have the $$ or not - sell the house to go on JC - whatever it takes

shack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:42 pm 

good luck with cell service in minnesota,my cell didn't work for 3 days at 10klf.i took a small hiatus from work,collected unemployment for a few months and drove my rv to festies.it was my "summer of george"so to speak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:54 am 

now, that is what i am talkin' about.
if i can i get this housing thing off the ground, maybe i can finally give the AT its due.

i am completely renovating a rental home, my only one thus far, in order to sell it, or continue renting (for more). i have most of the key components to getting a flip done, just have to get this 1st one out of the way to make sure it will work.

...anyone know someone who can install HVAC for a good price in Virginia, preferably Richmond? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:56 am 

orangebox wrote:
now, that is what i am talkin' about.
if i can i get this housing thing off the ground, maybe i can finally give the AT its due.

i am completely renovating a rental home, my only one thus far, in order to sell it, or continue renting (for more). i have most of the key components to getting a flip done, just have to get this 1st one out of the way to make sure it will work.

...anyone know someone who can install HVAC for a good price in Virginia, preferably Richmond? :lol:

That's what I've been doing. As soon as I get the trim re-installed in the master, I will have done 400 sq ft of tiling, 3 wood floors, endless painting, ext siding... new doors.... holy crap - I've actually been busy since losing my job!

D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:11 am 

Big ups, D!

Yeah, I feel ya:

We have totally rebuilt a wall; one side, kitchen, the other, bathroom.
re-rocked, cuz we all like getting re-rocked, the ceiling in the living room
moved some wiring
planted some bushes
re-built window sills
paint
sand
paint
sand
sand
Then, at the home, we have planted grass in the front, including new soil
knocked off our porch railings, giving our abode the swamp look. :wink:
new front door
new side door
new laminate floor in our kitchen

.......and that is over the last 2 months

Can I sleep yet :?:

It has been a great experience so far. I am excited to try again.