The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Top 3 Band/Artists you've seen the most times...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:40 am 

For me my top 3 Artists I've seen insanely amount of times are (I bet it's no surprise to many)

Les Claypool (Primus, Sausage, Frog Brigage/Fancy Band, Oysterhead) - 120+ ( I can't find my breakdown countdown I figured out awhile ago) -

Earliset was Primus in 1992 ... Favs were Sausage in Chicago 94, and early Primus shows...fav Frog/Fancy was 7/22/05 Fancy w/ Ler & Tim Sit-in and 10/9/05 Urbana IL w/ sickest Here's To The Man ever played...

Skerik (Frog Brigade/Fancy Band, Critters Buggin, Crack Sabbath, Taint Septet, GAT, Duo Buggin, DKG's, Full HABMX Sets, COTW, Headhunters, Skerik & Friends, Skerik & Mike D Duo's, many many sit-ins (not factored in) Etc., Etc.) - 90+

Earliest was Frog Brigade back in 00/01 which how I discovered Skeriks insanity. Favorite show was 5+ Hour Crack Sabbath Marathon @ Rainstock in Vashon, WA in I believe 05 or maybe 04?

Mike Dillon (Frog Brigade/Fancy Band, Critters Buggin, GAT, Duo Buggin, HABMX, GoGo Jungle, DKG's, Ani DiFranco, Skerik & Mike D Duo sets, Full Galactic Sets, many many sit-ins (not factored in)) - 60+

Also got into Mike D via Les Claypool back in 00/01. Probably favorite Mike D show was HABMX show back in 03 in Chicago w/ all of 4 people in attendance ... and they played probably even a bit more intense than usual!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:46 am 

Top is probably Les Claypool, even though I didn't start going to his shows until 2001, when my mind was utterly blown one night in DC. Discovered Skerik that night as well, although I thought he was a huge black dude the first couple times I saw him play...probably been to 50 Claypool events.

Saw Phish 38 times in 5 years. Bunch of really fun shows. Most redonkulous: Big Cypress. That was something. My first show (11-21-98) still stands out as pretty badass, especially on paper. By "on paper" I mean looking at the setlist, hippies.

Not sure who the #3 title would go to. Maybe Buckethead? I've seen him play 20 times or so. I've probably seen a bunch of bands play 20 times, though. Buckethead definitely stands out. As does the Critters Buggin/Duo east coast fall tour of which I had the pleasure of attending for a fabulous week in my VW bus with a neato girl back in 2004. Those shows were...I don't really have a word for what those shows were. More like: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:04 am 

Phish is def 1st with 88 shows,
MMW, Karl Denson's Tiiny Universe, STS9, WSP and Allmans all would come next i dont have a total for each. And Prince 8 times is not that many but hes one of my favs as well as Janes Addiction who ive seen about 10 times. also 11 nola jazz fest, 5 Jamcruises,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:20 am 

1. Phish, 56 shows
2. Phil & Friends, 25+
3. tough call bewteen KDTU and Deep Banana, probably about 20 each.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:28 am 

Location: Sex is a sick, vile, dirty and disgusting act ... ...If done correctly
Hm.....

Bruce Springsteen ... Over 30 times
Gov't Mule ... About 25 times
Korn ... 18 times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:15 am 

Phish is easily #1.

2nd 3rd place tie between KDTU and DBB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:17 am 

FunkMeister wrote:
Phish is easily #1.

2nd 3rd place tie between KDTU and DBB

But now that I think about it..... Mofro might outnumber them all. I remember one year at Jazzfest seeing Mofro about 5 times in a week and I hadn't even planned on it - they were just everywhere that year. And being in FL, with all the Langerados and Culture Room shows and Bamboo Room.... I bet Mofro could be #2 but totally by accident.

I used to not dig Mofro that much. But Adam Scone rocks and I really started to dig em a couple years ago.

D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:32 am 

1. Grateful Dead
2. Ozzy/Sabbath
3. Allman Bros

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:22 pm 

i don't have any lists so i can not give precise numbers to most bands, but the top three would still be a lot lower than any of what you have to offer. there are a couple of bands i have seen more than 10 times, but not really much more.

court jesters crew / soulfood international is a local reggae / ska band i have been following for more than 10 years now. first time i saw them they only had a demo tape. it is hard to count shows because there are so many incarnation of the band. i saw the original CJC about 7 or 8 times, soulfood international with the good old boys sessions (a couple of different roots reggae singers and hiphop mcs) about 4 or 5 times, with dr. ring ding abother 5 times, with rico rodriguez (jamaican jazz trombonist) twice, with ken boothe (jamaican roots reggae singer) once, with laurel aitken (ska ledgend) once. so that acutally adds up to a lot of concerts.

i have seen the skatalies ten times now.

i have seen tea leaf green 8 times, but only festivals so far.

i still go to see more than 50 shows a year i would say, not counting numerous festivals.

Bob Marley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:46 pm 

I am so much more into variety that I don't generally go see the same bands unless they come to me

with the exception of P Groove who I know I have seen more than any other and will travel to see. Not a clue how often but I know its more than any other by a factor of 10 or more

I do know I've seen Pink Floyd 6 times on 3 tours and that ranks up there at the top of my musical experiences

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:54 pm 

PGroove 150+
Mood Cultivation Project 75+
Ancient Harmony 50+

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:05 pm 

i'm w/ bill and joel, pgroove is easily at the top of my list of the bands i've seen the most. after them, dubconscious would probably be my #2, and i'm not really sure who my #3 would be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:30 pm 

abgar wrote:
Not sure who the #3 title would go to. Maybe Buckethead? I've seen him play 20 times or so. I've probably seen a bunch of bands play 20 times, though. Buckethead definitely stands out. As does the Critters Buggin/Duo east coast fall tour of which I had the pleasure of attending for a fabulous week in my VW bus with a neato girl back in 2004. Those shows were...I don't really have a word for what those shows were. More like: :shock:

I'm sure my Buckethead count is way up there but his shows seem to meld together as he don't stray from the standard set much...

But my all time favorite Buckethead show was Deli Creeps opening up for Les in Denver in 02 or 03? I actually made the drive just to see the Creeps and they did not dissapoint. Nothing like driving 30 hours roundtrip for a 45 minute set :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:59 pm 

#1 phish 40ish
#2 dead 25-30
#3 tie between mmw,umph,tlg,galactic,biscuits,sts9,ween,widespread at around 20 a piece

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:55 pm 

1) Grateful Dead / JGB/Garcia/Griz
- Jer about 100 times all together

2) Kimock band/Zero/KVHW - Kimock prob 80ish

3) Burning Spear - 50ish