The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:15 pm 

I was maybe thinking about trying the west coast - LA or SD down to Baja or Cancun or something - I have no idea, just thinking out loud.

-T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:26 pm 

yeah, i was reading, and it sounds like it's post 9/11 stuff that's causing hassles with immigration procedures.

hopefully next year the itenerary or schedule can be tweaked to avoid what we went through this time. i'd be happy to skip key west completely rather than deal with that crackadawn line again. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:27 pm 

Jamcruiser_Reno wrote:
tscales wrote:
I would like to see a boat that caters to people who like to sleep till 10am and NOT go thru customs.

Or we could just go out to sea and go around in circles for week.

Ed Zachary!! I was unimpressed with Nassau and Key West anyway.

http://www.globalrocker.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:16 pm 

the bahammas was like disney world and key west sucks cause of customs. i'd prefer to see some more remote islands or even an UNINHABITED island. Can we anchor off shore and take life boats in?

Jamaica? Costa Rica? Brazil?

definitely no return to the US until the very end.

As for the bigger boats, that'll take away a lot of the intimacy we were so lucky to experience.

How about more frequently throughout the year...so we don't have to wait a whole year to do it again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:49 pm 
Let's leave from New Orleans next year!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:28 am 
Yeah- we were totally unimpressed with the ports too. If I wanted to go to Starbucks or Wendy's I would have done it at home.

I bought some rum cakes and coffee-- then saw them in a catalog here at the house for a few bucks cheaper. Duty free is doody.

I wonder if the boat has to port to get more supplies. If thats the case-- I can live with the whole port thing-- but next year we'll sleep through them so we can enjoy more of the late shows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:01 pm 

actually after four days of boat food, i thought wendy's was a sight for sore eyes. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:02 pm 

the boat was just big enuff i thought i woudnt really want to do much more stairs than that. but defently leave the country and stay gone to were done i liked nassau so we could re upsome liquer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:16 pm 
I'm not sure we would be able to get away with it :wink: on one of those bigger ships.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:51 pm 

I also wonder if stopping at ports was part of the deal with the boat, since they were obviously hoping to make money off the "shore excursion" packages!

I woulda rather stayed on the boat to hear music tho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:02 pm 

i agree a bigger more established or "nicer" boat might not let us get away with that kinda goings on.We set the record the first night for liquor sales ever on the boat.We helped them they helped us.I would hope it would be like most festivals, next time with early bird discounts and or i was on the fisrts one discount.If could pay now what i payed the last time i would book and pay for the whole thing right now.

Post subject: I liked the boat
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:16 pm 
I liked the boat. I thought it was perfect for us. She had good bones and nice details, and was made in the mediterranean where the people love to party. Do you think there would be ashtrays on the wall outside your cabin, and a smoke anywhere you like policy on a big new ship? That's only because the Greeks made it in the 50's.
A big, nice boat means a much less laid back attitude. As it was, the staff were pretty sick of us by the end. We were fun and all, but we were also a bunch of slobs. These guys are used to cleaning up after the blue rinse set on 2 day cruises. It was tons of extra work, and a year's worth of wear and tear over our eight day fiesta.
I am only sorry that we didn't thank her properly with a big toast, and a Greek dance.[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:41 am 
I have a feeling that no matter what they do different, nothing will every be like the first boat. We are all pretty freakin' lucky to have taken part in that. Even now people I tell where I was last week are like, "jamwhat?" They have no idea..but they will. I hope next year they find another little regal empress that is obviously a pretty low end cruise ship, that is so happy to be makin' bank on our lush asses that they let us do whatever we want all over again. Bigger is not always better. But I would like to request a boat with an elevator! It was a long haul to A deck that was fondly referred to as the "boiler room"! Long, LONG very CONFUSING journey to the room. BUT the retro carpet designs were amusing! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:45 pm 

Ditto.... Yedi and Kate. I think the boat was perfect for what we were doing. Any bigger.... we would've had an even longer line and wait to get on at Ft. Lauderdale. Any newer.... the smoking situation wouldn't have been so cool. Most ships make smokers go to one or two designated areas to do their business. I've been on a couple different types of cruises the last few years and am thinkin' the RE was right on for these wild adventures. :wink:

But, it would be nice to do somethin' different in '05.... Aruba, Jamaica, Costa Rica, or the Virgin Islands would be juicy! The surf's up in Costa in the winter, but doesn't it rain all winter? I can't remember if it rains all summer or all winter in Costa.... always get that mixed up. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:50 am 

this was one of the most spectacular times i've ever had. i'm telling all my friends, too. i think part of what made it so special was that it was a new experience. having newbies onboard next year should help keep that wide-eyed "how can this be real" vibe alive! i hope they do NOT get a larger or more expensive boat. with greater size, we lose the intimacy that made this trip so special. with a more expensive boat come stricter standards, less freedom. this would be a poor trade, just to get better food. personally, it was the best i've ever eaten at a festival!