The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: stranded on dock at key west JC2
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:29 pm 
for those who dont know, 31 passengers were left on the dock (read:stranded) in key west to fend for themselves.
apparently (without everyones knowledge) the boat was set to sail a 4:30 with or without passengers. The information given to us from the guys swiping the cards as well as from crew members and tour officials was that we were to sail at 5:00. some of us were in line waiting to get on when the gangway was pulled back on with people still standing there.
I personally was told from the excursion desk person (the blonde american) that the snorkeling tour was to return at 4:30 because we were to sail at 5:00.

we all were still standing there and the boat was still at the docks, they wouldnt let anyone on. the ships senior sailing crew were laughing at us remarking that it was funny and that will "show you idiots to wear a watch" (this was told to me by someone standing there listening to their conversation)
we all had to rent cars and get a hotel and pay a 300.00 a person fine and we missed the rest of the cruise!!!!!
all those on jam cruise 2 who were left on the docks in key west , please send me your names and phone # and email addresses so i can get in touch with you when i figure out what avenue im taking with this...
or anyone interested in this horrible action by the cruise lines, please send me your info.
the boat was responsible for the safety of its passengers and they made no attempt to insure our safety...
the cruise lines dont have to impose the 300.00 a person fine. The least they could do is drop the 300.00 fine. we spent alot of money getting back to catch the boat to get out luggage (which was held by customs making us miss our plane home costing us another 100.00 each for changing our ticets)
anyways, I (nor the other people left) will stand for this.
I suggest if they dont reimburse the 300.00 each, we should find another cruise line for next year...
they made millions (MILLIONS) of dollars off of these 2 cruises, and it wont kill them to not hit us with this fine.
please feel free to call or write.
jason hoegle
fishguy@highstream.net
412 512 6936

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:07 pm 
Oh my gosh!! That's terrible!! They wouldn't let you guys on and you we're all just standing there!@?? I cannot believe that. You should definitely bring this up to Madison House as well. Where do you live? I live in South Florida and know some damn good lawyers around here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:07 pm 

oh my god! that is HORRIBLE!

have you talked to the folks from madison house or someone from jamcruise?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:21 pm 
I heard about all of you being stranded when my boyfriend returned last night from the cruises. I am so sorry to hear that happened to all of you. I can't even imagine the feelings you must have had. My thoughts are with you all. Good luck!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:41 pm 
it's all true. why isn't there a reply from you folks who put this on (jomo/madison)? all the above comments should be answered. just cuz it's over and you know people will sign up for this event again doesn't mean you can ignore this. do the right thing guys...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:48 pm 
we were totally told two different times to be back on the boat- lucky for us, we decided better safe than sorry.

i do hope jamcruise does the right thing and reimburses the folks for their added expenses. how bad would that suck- to have to spend 300 on a bullshit fine, pay for rental car and hotel- AND miss the final night of music?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:48 pm 
We had NO idea! If we had --there would have been mutiny!

That shit just ain't right.

I heard we left people in Nassau too.

I do think people should have to be responsible for getting themselves back to the boat ontime-- but with such a large number left its obvious that the cruise lines didn't communicate boarding & sailing times effectively.

You shouldn't have to pay that fine. Seriously- how did the cruise line lose money by not having you on the boat the last leg?

Hope you guys get something for your troubles. And sorry to hear you missed that last night on the boat. :cry: Good luck.

Post subject: stranded
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:52 pm 

That is insane! That makes me not want to go again!

I did hear - don't know if its true - that several people were detained in Key West due to outstanding warrants! No like Key West!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:55 pm 

When my girly and I woke up on JC1 in Key West, at the ripe hour of 2:30pm we thought it would be impossible to see the sights and be back by 4:00pm.

I was a little bummed when I saw stragglers re-boarding at ~5pm, thinking "i guess we could have gone and checked out Key West, oh well."

But I would have NEVER guessed that being left behind was an option - you NEVER leave a man(person) behind. WTF?

-T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:56 pm 
perhaps some were detained, but my buddies that got stranded were among the ones being laughed at as they watched the boat take off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:13 pm 
I remember when boarding after Nassau and after the Keys, it was a while before the ship sailed away. I don't understand why they would do something like that. I didn't hear of anyone being left behind on the Maiden Voyage. Hell, even the naked guy with no sleep ("I NEED MY PRIVACY!") was able to come back on after being taken off rolled up in a sheet.
I agree, I would really like a response from Madison House. I'm sure they weren't a part of this, but maybe they can help out somehow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:23 pm 

i think they should pay you the $300 (for your hotel, rental car, meals, shows missed, etc.) and not the other way around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:15 pm 
I think all who got stranded while waiting in line should get a complimentary jamcruise in 2005, especially if they were on an excursion purchased from the jamcruise!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:00 pm 

I agree with that. That really sucks. We were on the MAiden Voyage and had no problems, in fact we sailed way after the time they said. I think the crew was so sick of our drunkasses by that time that it was a whole differnt story. I think they were getting a little sick of us Jamcruisers from the first boat,I cant imagine how they felt four days froom then. I dont know if you ever talked to the staff, but we did alot and they said, because we were a more "active" bunch (constantly drinking, eating, gambling, ordering room service at 4am) that they had to work seven days a week with EIGHTEEN hour days. I cant imagine!!!Not that I am making excuses for them leaving those 31 kids behind, that SUCKS!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:13 pm 

The waitress I spoke with said "20 hour shifts"

After 20 hours of PARTYIN' I can be a little short on patience - imagine workin 20hrs in a row while 800 kids dance and party all around you.

I hope they were paid well.

-tscales