The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:15 pm 
KDTU set an example of how rockstars and bands should treat their fans. Make them dance their asses off. Grroove them into bliss. Accept their cameras, video, flash-bulbs, high-fives, hugs, invitations to breakfast, and middle school-like adoration. They gave a lot of themselves, and more importantly-- on such an intimate little boat-- they let us give a little back. Much love.

Example: During the autograph session I asked Karl D. to let me get a picture of the two of us arm wrestling-- and he's such a bad ass that he let me win. He even made a pained face. What a fantastic ham. And afterward-- when I hugged him, he thanked me. How gracious. Seriously-- that is one classy cat.

I went on the boat to see the bands. Instead, I actually experienced them.

It wasn't just about getting close for the sake of being close-- it was about being able to absorb the whole performance. To see their expressions, their posture, the way they squeezed every last little drop of music out of their respective instruments. Watching how they collaborated, and laughing with Karl, and John Staten when he all sneaky like skipped that drum beat.

Man, I came home feeling blessed and spoiled rotten. I thank my lucky stars we were able to make the trip. I thank my new husband for letting me share our honeymoon with those beautiful, beautiful men. And am so grateful that I don't have to count on my *altered* mind to recall all the visual details. Long live digital cameras!! and thank you one and all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:16 pm 
PS.-- its obvious the buzz killing girl didn't "get it"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:17 pm 
Somebody post her picture! I have no idea who she is...everyone I was with remembers, but I just tend to block those kind of things out of my mind...

Post subject: DB fans
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:23 pm 
I didnt have any run in with the picture nazi as you so explain her, but as for Biscuit fans, Im not too fond of them. Love the music, but a lot of the fans give off a real negative vibe. I've noticed this for many years now and I dont know why it is. Of course this doesnt apply to everyone, but this will have been my 7th Bisco show and every one, at least one person rubs me the wrong way.
As for Karl Denson, I agree, he is the nicest musician you could ever imagine. Same goes for RAQ, they were so nice during the autograph signing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:34 pm 
maybe she just needs a hug

Post subject: Re: DB fans
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:47 pm 
Eric wrote:
I didnt have any run in with the picture nazi as you so explain her, but as for Biscuit fans, Im not too fond of them. Love the music, but a lot of the fans give off a real negative vibe. I've noticed this for many years now and I dont know why it is. Of course this doesnt apply to everyone, but this will have been my 7th Bisco show and every one, at least one person rubs me the wrong way.

Dude, everywhere I go, be it the supermarket, work or out to a movie, somebody rubs me the wrong way. There are shitty people everywhere, and bands can't decide who comes and pays for a ticket. Go for the music and ignore someone if you can't stand them. You shouldn't come down on a whole scene because of a few bad apples.

Post subject: Re: DB fans
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:59 pm 
Eric wrote:
As for Karl Denson, I agree, he is the nicest musician you could ever imagine. Same goes for RAQ, they were so nice during the autograph signing.

that was my first time seeing the band ... there was a nervous uncomfortable feeling and strange vibe ... very different from every other band on the cruise ... they said they didn't want visuals which was cool with me (it was a blessing so I could actually do the Jazz Improve in the Mirage)

Against my better judegement in saying this, the thing that bothered me was the Lighting Designer told someone on crew he "would wash anything I did out" before even introducing himself to me ... it was silly hearing this 2nd hand, I have worked with the best LD's in the world ... had he walked up to me and just said "sorry we don't use visuals" I would have hugged him and ran to do my thing in the location I wanted to be in the first place ... the jams in that room were unbeleieveable and the magic created in the jazz improves were priceless ...

Yo no doubt they are incredible musicians especially the keys ... and if I was in the band I wouldn't dig this thread ... need to stress that it probably isn't the band spreading the weird vibes ...

I have had experiences a few times that the band actually freaked when they found out shit like this happens ...

"And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:04 pm 
i always thought the in-your-face "philly attitude" was just part of their schtick...

Post subject: this might be of interest to you...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:48 pm 
wanna contact the photo nazi??? just shoot her an email...

Jacey Anderson- - jacey@discobiscuits.com
Operations/Tour Management

go ahead and flood that B with your thoughts... :twisted:

Post subject: oh yeah
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:48 pm 
be sure to let us know how it turns out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:53 pm 

yeah,

BCC me on the emails - I'd love to hear what gets sent to this poor gal.

-T(tscales11@yahoo.com)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:59 pm 
Disco Biscuits are not even good. They were the only band I didn't enjoy on JC2. They sounded like merely a bar band on a boat with great musicians. And to hear these tales of the camera nazi...doesn't surprise me. Boot to the head!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:52 am 
Well I started this thread and now maybe I can end it.

Her name's been called out. Word travels fast in our little community if you havn't noticed yet. I'm going to trust that word will get to her that she's been publicly taken to task for her ridiculous behavior.

That's really all I could ask for... Just that she at least be told that her actions, no matter how correct she may think they are, bring others down and that that's completely inconsistent with what must be her primary misson as a tour director for a band. I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt though and hope that when she does hear about this, she'll maybe take a moment to reconsider her interactions with people, especially her customers. The customer may not always be right, but you should always be nice to them. We the fans are the customers of that band and I think we deserve a little more respect from this one in particular. Her bahavior reflects poorly on the band as a whole.

And I hate to generalize and I was not even going to comment on it BUT someone else commented on it already so I'll add my $0.02- the Bisco vibe I felt from their fans is NOT my kind of vibe - It felt weird - I saw a hat that said "Bisco Crack" and that's what I thought - crackheads - that kind of dirtbag / lowlife vibe more than anything.

Anyway, for the record, I did NOT use a flash - not once. Not even when Peter Rowan played the same set for the 3rd time and I wanted to throw my camera at him.

And now that I know she REALLY IS affiliated with the Biscuits, I'll be lettting my boycott begin. To the band I say this - I just saw my first show of yours on that boat - I was sort of digging some of it til I met your camera nazi. Get rid of her and I'll buy another ticket... but not while she in ANY WAY benefits from my hard earned dollar!

Yours,
Cameraboy (remaining "semi-anonymous" (people know who I am) because I fear Jacey's wrath!!!)

Post subject: Staff
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:09 am 
Although I did not encounter this particular person, this story coincides with what I experienced - a lot of the staff/crew of the bands seem to have bigger egos than the bands themselves. I saw one of the guys from Particle's crew literally push people out of the way on several occasions. Sorry buddy - you may work for a band, but never forget that you're an average joe like the rest of us. If I was in a band, I'd make sure that my crew were first and foremost good ambassadors to the fans, and not egomaniacs who take themselves WAY too seriously.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:31 am 
Yo the Particle People I worked with were some of the nicest guys out there ... much different than DB ...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next