The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: if there is still any doubt
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:04 pm 

about whether we should take action... this is worth a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDsIFspVzfI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm 

yes, we should take action, But if we go full hardcore action no more driving car, taking airplanes, no more JAM CRUISE, etc.

Fook it - take action gradually

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:31 pm 

No one is saying stop what we are doing to pollute this world, just be conscious. Reduce, reuse, and recycle, for a start.
I showed this to my dad who works for the EPA and he's heard the argument brought up(I'm sure many times), but the way that guy presented it really impressed him.
My 2 cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:51 pm 

yeah, i guess as bad kitty has said in the past, jc is a pretty selfish endeavor.
but i'm for change within jc, not without.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:48 pm 

This argument is an ongoing topic amongst the Jam Cruise community as well as the rest of the world. It is not up for debate in my book. I do feel that the world is starting to come around on this subject. More and more you see the signs, from hybrid and electric cars, hybrid jet engines (Boeing is currently working on one) and recycling, etc... I think that the mainstream if finally coming around. It will take some time but I do like the progress that we have made.

I full heartedly agree with the man in the video. Though Jam Cruise does go through a lot of gas (1 gallon per foot traveled) so Ive heard, the ship WOULD sail regardless. If we can help to make a difference in the cruise industry by setting the standard for A: planting trees or B: switching to bio diesel, than I think its worth it. Thought I do have to wonder why sea freight is the cheapest mode of transportation already. As for the air plains and cars, it is already far more environmentally friendly to pack a plain full of a few hundred people and fly to Florida than it is for everyone to get in there cars and drive. I for one have abused my driving privileges a lot during my traveling around the country and following the Dead around days. I would much rather fly now a days.

We do need to change our way of doing business in the future of the planet department but not at the risk of being hermits. We are on this planet to enjoy all that it has to offer, we just need to treat it a little better.

Thats my 5 cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:58 am 

If we're lucky, we're at the beginning of the world's 2nd Industrial Revolution. Change is hard to come by though. With any luck, and a lot of perseverance, it'll happen. Maybe. But not in our lifetimes.....

D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:22 pm 

Jeff and I just don't understand why we don't sail out 12 miles and park it for 5 days and use the shore excursion hours as required nap time like good little boys and girls.
Smiles!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:35 pm 

MissAslan wrote:
Jeff and I just don't understand why we don't sail out 12 miles and park it for 5 days and use the shore excursion hours as required nap time like good little boys and girls.
Smiles!!

Because for some of us the shore excursions are among the highlights of the cruise.

Ain't hesitating,
Ain't deliberating,
I got to see it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:37 pm 

zzyzx wrote:
MissAslan wrote:
Smiles!!

Because for some of us the shore excursions are among the highlights of the cruise.

And if you think people were seasick this time... try "parking it" for five days. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for that. I'd sit on an anchored boat in the middle of the ocean a month at a time if I could. But the motion of the ocean would do most in...

D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:41 pm 

i realize that by posting this on here i am mostly preaching to the choir but the idea is to keep spreading it (since it is presented in such a magnificently simple way) in the hopes that it will reach those who aren't members of 'the choir' and those in more of a position to enact change.

that is all.

Nike: just do it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:50 pm 

ive been trying to sell the 13 mile thing since the first year and there is always the crowd worrying about the waves so here is my comprimise. we go 16 miles out and do a real slow 8 mile diameter circle. for those who really enjoy the excursions may i suggest jazz fest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:25 pm 

Just got an email from a friend and it reminded me of this thread....

The argument this guy is making is nothing new. The idea of "the cost of wrongful action outweighs the cost of wrongful inaction," is precisely what led me to environmentalism almost 20 years ago. It's a deceptively simplistic argument.

He asks in the video what the problems are in his reasoning. The problem with this guy's video and his reasoning - and I'd be happy to share it with him had comments not been disabled - is that currently there is just not enough hard science to demonstrate the doomsday scenario he shows in the fourth box. On the other hand, there are 200+ years of American history to demonstrate the economic risks of the first box. Trying to make an inequality out of those two boxes is precisely where he goes wrong. As he states quite clearly, "any chart with a smiley face should hint at some underlying complexities."

Even though I have a problem with the video and his logic, I still choose to walk the same path and embrace the same conclusions. I walk this path not because one column is riskier than the other, but because I am not the type of person to adopt "inaction" as a way of living. I wrote something about this in my blog not too long ago.....

D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:30 pm 

alintruckee wrote:
ive been trying to sell the 13 mile thing since the first year and there is always the crowd worrying about the waves so here is my comprimise. we go 16 miles out and do a real slow 8 mile diameter circle. for those who really enjoy the excursions may i suggest jazz fest.

Or, perhaps, Jam Cruise since that's been a part of the boat from the very beginning ;)

Ain't hesitating,
Ain't deliberating,
I got to see it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:26 pm 

I knew this was really familiar.....

Anyone who has any interest in this video, I'd like to point out how this particular approach is to problem solving...

This 4-box approach is what's known in philosophical circles as "Pascal's Wager."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_Wager

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:17 pm 

We could just do laps around Cuba.