The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reggae Sunsplash
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:12 am 

Has Cloud 9 ever sponsored a trip to the Sunsplash in Jamaica? A buddy and I went in '89 with an outfit named Island Flight Tours, but I don't think they are around anymore. You would really need a company to sponsor a trip to handle tickets, book hotel, provide transport to & from shows and throughout the show. We had a great time.
I would like to go again, but would never try to do it on my own. Although things are better than in 89, Jamaica is a very dangerous place, so you would really need to stay on a resort property, have side trips to Dunn's River Falls, Negril, we spent a day at Jake's Tree House - a bar on the beach with hammocks, volleyball, ocean sports, gallons of Red Stripe, beach massages, hair braiding and other Jamaican delights.
The Sunsplash was an absolute blast. It's held at Bob Marley Memorial Stadium. The Music starts at around 6pm and goes til whenever. One morning the last act finished at 11am. Buses ran about every hour back & forth to the resort. A wrist band was your ticket. Food & beverage vendors were set up inside the field around the outer circle. Other vendors walked thru the crowd selling iced bottled beer from 5 gal buckets. People kind of camped out for the night in the middle of the field like a stadium concert. Vendors sold Reggae Beds for $5 - a piece of cardboard to keep you dry on the ground, pretty innovative.
Each night was kind of a different theme - Dub& ska one night, Dance hall another. A few surprise guests, Sly & Robbie showed up, Gregory Isaacs did a sunrise show, Linton Kwesi Johnson read some poetry. The final night Ziggy Marley played, he was given a royal reception. I believe(not real sure) his 1st album had just been released. He played a long show and did his album as well as some of Bob's stuff.
Remembering Sunsplash was why I 1st came to Jam Cruise - just wondered if anyone had gone recently or knew if Cloud 9 had any interest in sponsoring a trip. This was one of the best weeks of my life - total music, lots of Red Stripe and long, long Jams! 8)
Would probably go if Cloud 9 did their magic and sponsored a trip.

Post subject: Re: Reggae Sunsplash
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:06 am 

^^^ not that I know of, at least not as C9.

But a few of us are going to Negril this summer... Have any suggestion on things to do/see while we are there?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:52 pm 

maxcady, I don't think they're doing it in Jamaica anymore. per wiki:
Quote:
Reggae Sunsplash is a reggae music festival first staged in 1978 in the northern part of Jamaica. In 1985 it expanded with the addition of an international touring festival. The festival ran annually until 1996, with a final event in 1998, before it was revived in 2006. (...) The festival was re-established by the Johnson family in 2006, but it was not successful. The international touring festival, however, has continued.

yes I know wiki's not always right but I did a bunch of googling on sunsplash 2015 and only got results for an event in europe?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:11 pm 

8) Thanks Serk! Didn't know that it had failed and is no longer. Also, thanks for doing the research I should have done prior to posting. Memories of Sunsplash are what put me on the boat. It would have been great to have 1000 JCers together in Jamaica for a weeklong outdoor party!