The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Calling ALL TAPERS - Let's OrganiZe
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:42 am 

to all the tapers of JCI & II - please
:arrow: list your contact info & what shows you taped here on this thread.

i know one of the promoters specifically wants to get in touch with you & organize all the music into a collection...available to all cruisers at a reasonable cost to cover the expense.

please....please...please.

-jamgrrl
www.jamgrrl.com

Post subject: Re: Calling ALL TAPERS - Let's OrganiZe
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:20 pm 
jamgrrl wrote:
i know one of the promoters specifically wants to get in touch with you & organize all the music into a collection...available to all cruisers at a reasonable cost to cover the expense.

Can we not all work together to get this stuff seeded to etree, sharingthegroove, furthurnet, shnshare or any other download sites- so people can enjoy the music for FREE? :)

Thank you tapers!

Post subject: right on
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:30 pm 

hey now, that (online) makes sense - take what you need.

i was just thinking they might want to offer it as a CD collection - which, of course, i wouldn't mind having...& i would be more than happy to pay a couple bucks to get it routed to my smailbox. it perplexes me that someone didn't think of this beforehand. all that great live music, no one collective place to retrieve it.

i'd just like to see all the great recordings coming into one central place. it seems there's a lot of requests on here for different shows. & different posts from people who have shows...that's a lot of scattered energy.

jg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:01 pm 
If the promoters want to sell it, can't they just get it from Caution Recording- weren't they the official archivists?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:21 pm 
Propps to Ethan for seeding the shows he recorded for FREE! Thank-you Ethan, wish all tapers were as cool as you.

Post subject: not sure...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:24 pm 
i'm NOT SURE if the promoters WANT to sell it. i'm assuming if they go to the trouble of organizing a compilation they would want to cover the expense somehow.

i just had a discussion with one of the promoters who said when he's back in town he's gonna try to do something about this situation. so i'm ASSuming... that's all.

i'm just someone who wants access to the music from JCII primarily, and JCI secondly.

aka/jamgrrl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:12 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
Propps to Ethan for seeding the shows he recorded for FREE! Thank-you Ethan, wish all tapers were as cool as you.

word. thank you ethan!!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:44 pm 
This is an odd post? A promoter wants to sell the shows that occurred on JCI & JCII? Why would taper's be involved with this? There was a crew hired to archive everything that occurred on the ship (Main Stage, Grand Ballroom, Mermaid Lounge, Disco) and I imagine that they accomplished just that. There shouldn't be a need to get in touch with taper's that brought their own personal gear when there was plenty of hardware brought in to multitrack all the shows. I've heard mention that the video crew captured everything that happened on the all the stages, but they were not associated with the audio group. Taper's don't sell shows, even when it is to "cover the costs". And how much of a costs can be incurred fr just a compilation? The CDs? What about BT and downloads. Still kinda perplexed about this post...

Post subject: here we go again...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:08 pm 
i've already tried to explain "I"was ASSuMEing they would want to charge for the compilation. thereis a cost for the cd & the mailing - of course it shouldn't be much. maybe they will just pass it along to all onboard for free. i really don't know. all iknow is i want a copy. it would make my best souvenir for sure.

after talking with a couple people "in charge" and after reading all the posts here, i got the feeling no one organized anything. so i was just trying to offer up an idea...in the essence of time. that's all.

:arrow: so if everything is as you say, then please post the link or info where i can get the end product of the "professional" crew. thank you.

peace,
jamgrrl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:56 pm 
When you said "i know one of the promoters specifically wants to get in touch with you & organize all the music into a collection...available to all cruisers at a reasonable cost to cover the expense."-

I thought you were saying you "specifically" "know" something- not just assuming.

Whatever. I must have misunderstood. No biggie.

Just seemed weird- fan tapers in the jamband community don't typically sell their stuff. We share- or trade. A lot of the bands have policies to that effect as well.

I would assume that the promoters will probably have a CD or a DVD to sell, but would think they would use Caution Recording- since they were the group contracted to archive the event?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:40 pm 
Everyone contact Jamcruise and evreyone involved and insist on a DVD to be released. Please! This is the only way we can be certain it will happen. Caution only did audio multitrack, and they had new equipment that they had to "learn" how to use before the real archiving began. They are not associated with the video so anything produced as a DVD will come from the video people. Send Jamcruise an email to request a dvd and have all your friends do the same.

Post subject: music from jcI/II will not be sold.....
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:50 am 
tapers never sell music....we recorded 90-95% of both cruises..we will most likely work to get a promotional compilation cd together to highlite the incredible music which we witnessed..this is a large project due to the amount of great music..we will release to etree and any other hosts the the music which we can, les claypool was explicit in NOT releasing any of his sets, as well as karl d and the set where galactic played their new album..we will get to the music as fast as we can.Spearhead asked us to get his sets out quick...these will be the first band that we work on..at the very least we will kick down the 2 tracks from the board...others we may do our own mix via the multitrack...again i would like to say thanks to the tapers on board!..thanks for respecting the audio as well as the video crews!..and thanks for getting the MUSIC out to our friends and family!
we are tapers at heart too! please be patient., we just got back!
the video crew worked independantly from our guys..if jamcruise decides to do a dvd for sale, we have the 5.1 surround, no word on that project yet, but most likely it would be for promotional use only or given away free as well..the legalities to make this happen probably will inhibit the sale...so look for future posts...i am sure that the tapers on board got some sick tapes..the clair brothers audio system rocked..the sound was great at each stage...keep posting the music and remember to get your paperwork in for next years cruise, ther will be only one cruise next year and the word is that the promoters have already been looking into another slightly larger more modern ship! with no key west on the itinery!!
hope everyone had a great time!!
thanks and getting the music out is our next project!!!

dave hind
caution recording
202-546-2444 11am-7pm est

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:28 am 
What's up with Les and Karl D and Galactic? Don't they usually allow taping and trading?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:52 pm 
This probably refers to the soundboards and multitracks only.

Les and Galactic allow AUDIENCE taping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:03 pm 

Hey hey! I've got a few shows from each cruise already on disc. If anyone would like a bnp, shoot me an email (abgarrod@hotmail.com)

Sets I have so far:
JCI
Galactic 1-7-04 (w/JJ, Karl D and Z-trip) 2 discs
KTDU 1-8-04 (w/ Sistah Teedy, Nershi) 2 discs
Pete Rowan's Crucial Reggae 2discs
Moorestars 1 disc

JCII
Moorestars 1 disc
Frog Brigade 1-11-04 (latenight set) 3 discs
Frog Brigade 1-12-04 (headline set) 3 discs
Galactic (I think latenight) 3 discs

more to come, but this is what I have right now.
The JCI sets were taped by Ethan Alpert (www.cotapers.org)
The JCII sets are all from Jim Charnel's rig; he was right on the foot of the stage and pulled some of the best sound I've heard on an aud recording in a long time...

Email me!
AB