The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Message to Tapers
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:59 pm 
This doesn't apply to all tapers, but after speaking with others and hearing the same reports, there are a few of you who need to hear this.

This specifically goes out to the guys standing directly in front of the stage (pick your show) who told others to "shhhh" between songs and tried to cordon off an area from those trying to dance.

We don't mind you taping. We like to get copies of live music ourselves. However, when you want to take up the entire front of the stage area and dictate to others where they can dance, how loud they can talk, etc, then you are overstepping your boundaries. Others paid as much for their tickets as you did and have every bit as much a right to do whatever they please within the "norm" without you telling them where they can stand or dance.

I have NEVER been to a show where I was overly aware of any tapers. Certainly not tapers hogging the entire front DANCING area of any stage until JCII. One word: RUDE

Tapers in the back from now on, please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:03 pm 
Maybe next time there could be a designated taper section?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:26 pm 
It wasn't like that on JC1. IT seems that the majority of the negativity and complaints are coming from JC2 people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:50 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
It wasn't like that on JC1. IT seems that the majority of the negativity and complaints are coming from JC2 people.

I was on both cruises and that statement seems to be a fair assessment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:50 pm 

It's tapers like that that give us all a bad name :(

As a taper I must apolgize for these ignorant fools.

Everyone paid the admission and has the right to do as they please when enjoying themselves at a show. Tapers have no right nor privilege to try to control the envrionement like that and that type of behavior is reprehensible (sp?).

It seems in the past few years that many folks have got into taping and have no clue about the proper way to behave and it saddens me. There is an unwritten code of conduct that used to be followed but appears to have gone by the wayside.

If these assholes persist the day may come when bands just don't allow taping.

As a taper you must be passive and let things unfold as they will. It's not the end of the world if there's crowd noise on the tape. Hell that's what it sounds like if you were truely there.

Again I apologize for these guys ...

-ethan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:02 pm 

Thanks, Ethan. I agree that it is only a few, and not the many. We've never noticed tapers right up front before JCII, so it must have been unusual circumstances.

People are at shows to experience live music. It's great to have the tapes afterwards, but you are right - events must unfold as they happen. The events are not to make sure someone gets a flawless copy of the show recorded, but for people to experience the power and beauty of the music as it is played. People dance and scream in front of the stage - asking them to move or be quiet is not cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:38 pm 

I'm also very sorry and dissapointed to hear that happened. I was taping on JC I and didn't see anything like that happen, but sincerely apologize for the taper(s) who caused problems for JC II cruisers. :(

It makes us all look bad when something like that happens, but we're generally pretty nice folks. :wink:

- Julie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:47 pm 

I didn't see this on the Cruise ( I was only on the first one). BUT I have seen it too many other times in too many other venues. I always say one thing to these people...

"What part of AUDIENCE RECORDING do you not understand?"

It would be great though if people would just shut the fuck up and talk quietly.

Anyway, if ya ever see me getting too chatty, and sometimes I catch myself just on the verge, just tap me on the shoulder and point at the microphone stand. I'll shut up - swear!

TMWSIY

PS: If ya NEEEEEED to talk a LOT at a show, try wearing ear plugs, you'll be amazed at how easily two people can have a normal conversation - quietly - when the music is cranked loud! That and stand AWAY from the tapers.

LOVE AND RESPECT TO THE TAPERS !!!!

Last edited by FunkMeister on Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:50 am 
I have to be with Ethan on this one. I even tried to give these guys a patch from my mics that were hanging from the awning to get them out of the way (they were taking up at least 5-6ft from stage lip), but they refused. I didn't really understand their thought process in taping so close. Yes, you can get a great sounding tape from stage lip but you also sacrifice phasing issues due to a mix blend from the monitors, and at the very least you end up pissing people off with the space constraints that we were all facing. I've spent countless years working in audio capture and engineering and I managed to pull some of the best tapes from where my mics were placed. Not to work against the same kin of taper's that I associate myself with, but I certainly think that it should be against Jamcruise policy to take up space for stands (or hats!) in any area that close to the stage. I'm certainly making a pleas for it next year. They should be thankful that they weren't shoved out of the way by the Still Photographers or Video Crew that were hired to take pictures of that stage...I know I certainly wouldn't of let someone standing there wearing mics in their hats get in the way of some good shots...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:56 am 
Nothing to do with taping at all, I just think it's incredible that some people think they have a God-given right to talk while a band is playing. I mean it's like "Fuck you man! I spent a thousand bucks on a cruise ticket so I can stand in the sweet spot and YELL at my friend!" What these fucking morons expect us to put up with is unbelievable. Some people want to HEAR THE MUSIC, not some asshole who insists on being drunk and yelling at his asshole friends while they're all standing right in the fucking middle of the best spot to HEAR THE FUCKING MUSIC!!! If you want to talk during shows, go the fuck away! That's all I ask. Go stand in the bathroom. or the hallway, or ANYFUCKINGPLACE BUT WHERE THEY'RE PLAYING MUSIC!!!!

Duh, who started this thread, anyway? Was it Booray???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:19 am 

WTF?!?!?! Talk while music is being played? How dare they (us)...

For real, though....don't you think it's a bit fascist to think that you have the right to say what audience members can or cannot do? Don't get me wrong; I don't like a whole buncha distractions myself. But, if they got there early, and wanna talk in the sweet spot, then so be it. Perhaps you should get there earlier than them if it's so important to you....Until then, lighten up.

BOAT DRINKS