The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:29 pm 

HarryZ wrote:
Eric Clapton, Aug 4th, 1974, West Palm Beach, FL. It was the 461 Ocean Blvd tour. Keith Moon sat in for I Can't Explain. Pretty much set the stage for the rest of my music-loving life.

damn, you lucky dog. That's one hell of a way to start your concert going adventures 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:54 pm 

Opening for Clapton was a band called Barnstorm featuring some cat on guitar named Joe Walsh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:27 pm 

jess wrote:
Debbie Gibson @ Madison Square Garden...I think in 1988. 2nd set was a FACE-MELTER! Out Of the Blue > Only In My Dreams blew the brains out the back of my skull :P

But the first concert I went to without my parents (as I credit as my first 'real' concert) was Phish in Holmdel, NJ 7/2/94

JESS...

I had a feeling after meeting you a few weeks ago that you were a HUGE Debbie Gibson fan, lol!!!!!

It was nice to meet a fellow Jam Cruiser at that party though. I look forward to chilling again on the high seas in less than half a year...

And to answer this question:

My first concert was RUSTED ROOT (I am from Pittsburgh, which is where RR is from as well) on NYE '95 at the Civic Arena. To this day it was the biggest show Rusted Root ever sold out themselves. They actually sold over 17,000 tickets for NYE back in the early 90's, now, if they sell 1,000 on their own that would be impressive...

12/31/95 Civic Arena, Pittsburgh, PA
Back To The Earth
Ecstasy
Come Down
Cat Turned Blue
Big White Bird
Infinite Space
Voodoo
Rain
Dangle
Tree
Cruel Sun
Laugh As The Sun
Drumz >
Martyr
Lost In A Crowd
Primal Scream
Run >
Artificial Winter
Send Me On My Way

I also saw them next year oon NYE as well:

12/31/96 Civic Arena, Pittsburgh, PA
Faith I Do Believe
Ecstasy
Virtual Reality
Infinite Space >
Voodoo
Lost In A Crowd
Beautiful People
Cruel Sun
Primal Scream
Heaven
Cover Me Up
Sister Contine
Silver N' Gold >
Laugh As The Sun
Drumz >
Martyr
Back To The Earth
Send Me On My Way

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:28 pm 

Camp Berkshire Outing: "Go-Go's 1984 Prime Time Tour" someplace near NY..what kind of a camp takes kids to concerts? Wehn they are like 9 years old even???
Capitol Center Washington, DC winter 1984 Purple Rain Tour

And the one I consider MY first concert because I really wanted to go and so my parents let me and 2 friends go alone for my 13th birthday....

Patriot Center, DC

These are fun games today!!!
Az

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:24 pm 

Sammy Hagar / Boston Spectrum Oct 30 1978

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:04 pm 

Springsteen, MSG circa 1980.

PROVE IT ALL NIGHT / TWO HEARTS / 10TH AVENUE FREEZE OUT / YOU CAN LOOK / DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN / FACTORY / INDEPENDENCE DAY / WHO'LL STOP THE RAIN / THE PROMISED LAND / OUT IN THE STREET / RACING IN THE STREET / THE RIVER / BADLANDS / THUNDER ROAD / HUNGRY HEART / CADILLAC RANCH / SHERRY DARLING / FIRE / CANDYS ROOM / BECAUSE THE NIGHT / 4TH JULY ASBURY PARK (SANDY) / GROWIN' UP / FADE AWAY / STOLEN CAR / WRECK ON THE HIGHWAY / THE TIES THAT BIND / RAMROD / DRIVE ALL NIGHT / ROSALITA / SANTA CLAUS / JUNGLELAND / BORN TO RUN / DETROIT MEDLEY / RAISE YOUR HAND

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:13 pm 

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:23 pm 

bluzbill wrote:

April 8, 1970
Raleigh, NC US
Dorton Arena

Setlist:
includes: We're Gonna Groove, Dazed and Confused, Heartbreaker, Bring It On Home, White Summer / Black Mountainside, Since I've Been Loving You, Organ solo / Thank You, What Is and What Should Never Be, Moby Dick.

Quote:
Review: ZEPPELIN IS LATE, LOUD, GOOD

Raleigh News and Observer
April 9, 1970 | By Gerry Ligon

Playing to an audience ranging from babes-in-arms to the "over thirty generation", Led Zeppelin put wings on Dorton Arena and piloted the audience on a musical tour from blues, to jazz, to boogie, to pure hard rock.

The performance had a very slow start. After waiting more than 45 minutes for the show to begin, the patient audience was rewarded with five minutes of ear-splitting feed back.

In order to avoid the echo within the arena, which Jimi Hendrix encountered recently, the performers had to present their music at their maximum volume. Because of this, the audience had to adjust to the powerful beat of sound.

However, anyone who arrived for the performance with a negative point of view had to be somewhat persuaded by the audience's acceptance of the reverberating sound. As in most rock concerts, each performer gave his solo.

Unlike most rock concerts, the audience spent a great portion of the show saluting the solos in standing ovations.Undoubtedly, anyone who refuses to listen to any music on his own phonograph above one-half volume, would not have lasted 30 minutes in the arena; but those who know how to listen to the rock and jazz of today were the ones who would not let the performers quit.

If this show is an example of how the music of today will be accepted in Raleigh, we can expect to see many more concerts of this type in the future. The reaction of the audience at last night's performance said so. (courtesy: Steve A. Jones)

That's awesome. A buddy of mine played his version of 'Thank You' during our wedding while they seated our mothers.

I wish I could have seen them live.

Last edited by atomicdawg on Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:26 pm 

The Who
The 'original' final tour in '81 at Market Square Arena.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:40 pm 

a lot of these are incredible first concerts...my first was stone temple pilots with zz top as the opener, back in 96 i believe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:01 pm 

I believe it was Aerosmith, in junior high? Still young, obviously - went to the bathroom during "Dream On" because I didn't know the song. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:51 pm 

11/27/1981
Carrier Dome - Syracuse University
Syracuse, NY

The Rolling Stones
Molly Hatchet
David Jo Hansen

The American Tour in support of Tattoo You, sponsored by Jovan Musk(I believe the first corporate sponsorship of a tour)

Various ticket sales records were set, some of them still remain.

I was 16. I remember they had a cherry picker that lifted Mick up and out to the higher levels of the dome. There was also a ton of baloons released.

Last edited by Freeker on Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: What was the first concert you ever saw
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:59 pm 

Bump for LOSTSAILOR :DANCE:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:20 pm 

Van Halen 1978 San Jose,ca

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:55 pm 

probably 72 or 73 they took my Jewish overnight camp,about 100 of us, to see Isaac Hayes (Shaft theme on the charts at the time) at the old Valley Forge Music fair outside Phila. Great venue that's gone now. The first show I bought tickets for Steve Miller Band at Temple U's Ambler campus about 20 minutes outside Phila. I believe it was my third for KISS... Spectrum Dec. 77. Maybe JC should do a KISS theme,not just the band: Prince song, kiss my ass, Kiss of the Spiderwoman, Just Kissed My Baby (go George)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next