The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HOW do we get a DVD made?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:16 pm 

I shot video for Tree Sound Studios for Jamcruise 2 and I think EVERYONE on the ship asked me, "How do we get this footage?!!!"
I was told that the standard reply should be, "Tell ALL your friends to e-mail jamcruise admin to demand that a DVD be made."
I understand that EVERYONE on both cruises wants footage. I also understand that if every single person on both cruises bought a DVD, it wouldn't even be CLOSE to enough people to warrant actually compressing, editing, and mass burning footage into a DVD. We need a LOT more customers than that!
What now?
Are you cruisers actually telling all your friends to e-mail demanding a DVD?
Are you guys doing your part to help get this shit made?
I (for one) REALLY want to see this footage I shot turned into a DVD! I got some SICK footage!!!!!
What now?
How can we help get this done?
We Want A DVD!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:07 am 

If You have all the footage how much would it cost to buy uncut it all. I all ready have 20 hours for free. It was wounder fulll and we need a bigger boat next year.
Bradleyp420@yahoo.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:34 am 

I suggest you get the footage down to 2-hours and then author a DVD. Once you're there, do a first-run with CustomFlix (http://www.customflix.com), in SF. There's almost no up-front costs for manufacturing, inventory managemnt and distribution and the DVD is sold (and profits are gained) on-demand. They take half and you take half. Since it's on-demand, you won't need to determine the DVD's potential selling volume. Sell as many as you want until you think you have enough money to replicate and distribute your own DVD. Who knows? You might make the next "Woodstock: The Movie."

I know that all sounds fine and dandy, but have you considered artists' points, also?

Ahem! If you need a DVD Authorer, please don't hestiate to contact me. Check out these cool menus I created for RAQ's Boulder Theater DVD:

http://aviewofyou.tv/video/raq_dvd.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:00 am 
I don't have the footage...I had to turn it over as soon as we docked. I know Treesound has the editors and DVD authorers to get it done, i'm just trying to drum up enough interest to get the ball rolling!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:02 am 

Anonymous wrote:
I don't have the footage...I had to turn it over as soon as we docked. I know Treesound has the editors and DVD authorers to get it done, i'm just trying to drum up enough interest to get the ball rolling!

That was me...i just forgot to logon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:24 am 
what are they doing to do with the footage if they don't release a dvd? wouldn't it just be a lot of money and effort wasted?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:16 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
what are they doing to do with the footage if they don't release a dvd? wouldn't it just be a lot of money and effort wasted?

Creating a festival DVD is not as easy as it seems. In fact, it's quite complicated since artists need points, the video crew needs to get points, and Jam Cruise needs points. I hate to break it down monetarily, but that's the way these things work. Let's also remember that the production crew, as a favor, worked pro-bono.

I've made attempts to produce several festival DVDs (Adirondack Mountain Music Festival, Berkfest, The Jammys, etc) with no luck b/c of the amount of people involved. There has to be 1-person who fronts the bill for this to work and b/c there are a lot of players involved, it, in my opinion, is why a simple 1-band concert DVD is so much easier to create. My CustomFlix idea is great, in theory, but at the end of the day (what with artists points, crew points, etc), there's very little money left for everyone's efforts (usually the production and post-production crew) and the people involved usually end loosing money for their hard work, unless there's a guartenee that 5,000 - 10,000 units will sell. This is why bigger festivals, like Bonnaroo, seek out an investor who has $50,000 - $100,000 dollars to invest in replication and distribution. Remember, CustomFlix takes half, but an up-front investor creates a scenario where each unit sold is (kind of) pure profit. In other words, the players get to split $25/unit rather than $12/unit. Big difference.

So... Who wants to invest in "Jamcruise: The Movie?" OK. Seriously, here's some more ideas I have:

1) Reverse the business model (a la Bonnaroo) and make artists pay to be on the DVD. To execute this you'll need to guarentee them worldwide distrubtion (exposure) and big sales... So, probably not an option; however, it worked for Bonnaroo.

2) Barter artists points with the footage and give them their edited performances to do with it what they wish (web, TV, DVD, etc).

2a) I'm not trying to cut out the artists portion and they're the reason the DVD is made/people went, but with so many bands (20 I think) there simply isn't enough money to go around. Maybe headliners get paid and up-and-comers don't?

3) Find a Trustafarian with loot and interest in film and get $100,000 dollars from them and then replicate and distribute your own DVD.

4) Try the CustomFlix model.

5) Proceed with post-production and, in the meantime, start doing pre-sales on-line, now, and aggregate how much interest is involved. If there is little interest, then use CustomFlix to get the DVD out to those who wanted it and call it a day. If you get tons of interest, then maybe you can justify the invesment to a potential investor. If you go this route: Make sure you advertize on Jambands.com, Jambase.com etc so the word spreads outside of this community.

All in all, I don't think filming JC 1 and 2 was a waste of time. Those guys/girls did their damndest to document both cruises. The footage can always be used in the archives and JC can release clips of performances from time-to-time.

My feeling is that ledd than 2,000 people attended JC 1 and 2. So does that mean only 1,200 units will sell? Is that really worth it? Do you think word can spread and people who couldn't make it will purchase the DVD?

One more thing: I'm not involved with either the JC video crew or JC with regards to this project. I was with National Lampoon and yes you may have seen me with a camera, but I'm only making suggestions since 1) I've done this before and 2) I'd love to see it happen. In the meantime, I'll keep you all posted on our Lampoon progress.

Post subject: dvd
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:07 am 

Hey I think I speak for all of us when i say we understand the cost behind making a DVD and that it may not be easy but........ I would pay double the normal DVD cost to have a professional documentation to the best time of my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:15 am 
If distribution is such a big cost-- why not pop up a website with compressed files that can be downloaded, unzipped and burned to dvd?

That would get rid of the manufacturing & distribution costs.

That leaves more for the production folks & artists.

Maybe a simple charge of like $3-12 paid via paypal or creditcard to a secure server site could get you access to the download. As long as its accompanied by one VERY DETAILED FAQ or instruction sheet- the fans can handle distribution. Just like they do now with downloaded music. Everybody loves tapers. Shouldn't everybody love a video guy!!

The difference being (I think) that tapers don't have quite the same aftershow workload a film crew has. I'm not trying to downplay tapers efforts (remember everybody loves tapers!) -- so please don't flame me if I'm totally offbase.

Anyway-- so since we gotta find a way to pay this production crew for their time-- how about this--

1) Charge a nominal fee for the downloads, say $3-12. A small fee makes it more accessible (especially for those of us that spent our last penny on the cruise :D ) which means that distribution should be higher. And since every disk is a way to sell the band to a new fan-- thats pretty good exposure.
2) You can split the small fee between the production crew & artists, maybe giving the production crew a higher percentage, since the artists will also get publicity with the downloads. Or just figure how much the production crew needs to be compensated, and then anything above that goes to the artists.
3) Give the bands an unlimited number of downloads-- to copy and distribute at will, or so Individual band's street teams could use the DVD to get the word out.
4) Alternately (and I like this idea the best)-- you could edit the footage into individual shows (which I think are roughly 2 hour stints). Like KDTU JC1 Show 1, and Galactic JC2 show 1 etc. Then set a low price for individual show files. The artists could get most of the cash from the individual shows. Then also offer a "sampler" or official JAMCRUISE dvd, highly edited-- to include only portions of each artist. The production folks could get the majority of the income from the sampler. The two would help cross-sell each other. As long as you're offering downloads (instead of fully manufactured discs) you could offer multiple formats (i.e. full shows and a sampler etc.). Set one price for the sampler, one price for each of the shows, and then one volume price if someone wants to download EVERYTHING. Give a limited liscense with the discs-- allowing people to burn as many copies as they want to distribute free. That helps build the fan base.

Some bands I like more than others-- so I could justify paying $40 for several full shows better than I could justify paying $40 for a DVD with 3 kick-ass bits, 7 pretty good bits, and 3 bits I could live without. Plus, if I were able to download and burn them myself-- I would be much more inclined to fork over the cash. I want the artists to be compensated. I want the production crew to be compensated. I don't really have a desire to pay extra money so that X number of discs can be professionally manufactured.

Anyway-- you can keep the price low because people burn the disk themselves. A couple of good .pdf files to print for DVD covers, labels etc. And you're good to go.

I bet there are a few technically inclined heady cats out there that could get this thing rolling lickety split.

The one drawback would be finding people with DVD burners. I have a few friends that have them-- but I'm not technically inclined-- so I don't know how un/common they are.

You could let people with DVD burners offer up a BNP type system. But don't know if that would generate the funds needed for the project.

Maybe its not such a great idea afterall. . . . okay talk amongst yourselves

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:32 am 
I say whatever it takes .... make it so!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:26 am 

Guest- Your idea is good in a theory and great for MP3s, WAVs and SHNs a la Live Phish Downloads; however, you'll need to consider the incredible bandwidth costs to serve DVD-quality video. Some DVDs are 4.25GB (gigabytes) while current Hollywood DVDs venture to the 9GB range. This would be very costly to serve via the Internet, not to mention it would take consumers hours, if not days, to download them. I do, however, appreciate your forward thinking. I'm sure your idea will eventually be the way our kids buy DVDs.

Your post made me consider something else... There's probably 40-hours of concert performances that occured Jan 10-14. Now double that to include JC1. What do you do now? a 9GB DVD is only going to fit 3-4 hours tops, so I think a "director" needs to come in, kill the babies and make a 2-3 hour doc. Otherwise, folks will need to buy 20+ DVDs. Whew!

Can someone from HotSupe chime in here and let us know your thoughts on a potential DVD? We're here to help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:30 pm 
I'm wildeyedus, the guest- I almost never sign in (passwords are just something else for my limited brain cells to have to remember :D )

Again, I'm not really technically inclined- but I know its possible to download full movies-- I have a couple of friends who download movies off newsgroups all the time. Of course they've all got highspeed connections and other nerdy past times- so they know what they're doing.

I think the movies are just broken up into several files- so it does take some time to download them all-- but you don't have to be connected the whole time.

But you're right-- I didn't really consider that before, and conceed that its probably not the best way now. Oh well, maybe my children will be able to download the JC video.

It will be like a holy grail, lost in time-- like Miles Davis's Dark Mangus-- only to be re-discovered years later and much loved by future generations of jam fans.

But I still would like some of the artists shows uncut. I'd love to have a full show of KDTU, but honestly, wouldn't pay for a Bisco show (sorry bisco fans, I don't hate 'em- I just don't feel 'em).

Quote:
a 9GB DVD is only going to fit 3-4 hours tops, so I think a "director" needs to come in, kill the babies and make a 2-3 hour doc

:shock:

Would Customflix be able to support having multiple options for order (like individual shows, and a 2-3hour doc)? And are they reasonably priced?

Lets avoid killing babies if we can. :wink:

Post subject: CORRECTION
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:23 pm 
Thank you for all of your input and please keep it comming!

I am Nathan Reetz one of two Producers for the Jam Cruise Video Crew. Our Production name for this project is "Good Cop, Bad Cop Productions". We are not affiliated with Tree Sound Studios (not sure how this rumor got started). For further clarification, Hotsupe is a produciton company of mine and two other partners (not involved in the Jam Cruise project) based in Atlanta. Hotsupe produced the Bonnaroo 2003 Bonus Features and archives NOLA JazzFest for Superfly. It should be clear that this is a collaboration project with Lawerence Shapiro and myself. We have the task of organizing more than 200 hours of video and 240 hours of audio.

Our main goal for this project was to create short segments for the investors, sponsors and promoters for the next Jam Cruise. Our second task was to archive the maiden voyages of the Jam Cruise. The potential for a DVD is there, but still in question, for many of the reasons cited above.

It should be noted that the messages posted above and below reflect the opinions of Jam Cruise fans, not the production crew. Thank you for your interest in the Jam Cruise DVD. Keep the emails comming!

Nathan Reetz
Jam Cruise Video Production
nathan@hotsupe.com

Post subject: Re: CORRECTION
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:01 pm 

Nathan Reetz wrote:
Our Production name for this project is "Good Cop, Bad Cop Productions". We are not affiliated with Tree Sound Studios (not sure how this rumor got started).

OK guys...this is my fault!
It's a long story why I thought this footage was going to treesound studios but it was my misunderstanding. I was so excited when I was asked to help shoot this event that I forgot to ask a lot of questions besides WHERE and WHEN!
My apologies for misrepresenting Nathan and Larry here. They are first rate producers and did an outstanding job taking care of their shooters, footage, and fans! (sorry guys)
Nevertheless...if you want a DVD, you have to be heard and this is a challenge to everyone who asked me about footage to make enough noise
to get it made!
On a personal note, if a DVD was made, even if it was entirely unedited footage of a few songs from most of the bands for 50$ a pop,...I'd buy two! Plus i'd get my friends to buy one too! This could sell! I know it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:38 am 

add an extra $40 to the next JamCruise tickets earmarked specifically for DVD production, then produce and send out 1000 documentary/DVDs a few months before next jamcruise to the JC3 cruisers... $40,000 should help get the ball rollin' ...

I'm sure there would then be many more who missed the boat who would shell out a little dough for their DVD collections.

When your spending hundreds of bucks for the tickets, who's going to notice an extra $40??? (Chalk it up to inflation :wink: )

JC1 and 2 Xmas gifts for everyone!