The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remember the GRAPES?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:13 pm 

Special Announcement!
Atlanta-based Wayside Riders includes a few former members of the Grapes. They are in the process of archiving all things Grapes- related, including all recordings, photos, posters, etc. If you have any Grapes' memorabilia, please contact:
info@waysideriders.net

also see: http://www.waysideriders.net

8) thank ya thank ya thank ya! :wink:

:arrow: i have this announcement listed on the front page of my website too:
http://www.jamgrrl.com (you can see pics of album covers from the Grapes)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:37 pm 

what's this have to do with JamCruise and why's it a sticky?

-e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:05 pm 
Yeah???

Post subject: rumor has it...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:42 pm 
rumor has it...wayside riders may play the next jamcruise. so you might want to get to know these fine fellas.

& it's sticky b/c i want people to see it.

jamgrrl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:16 pm 
While a Grapes reunion (on jamcruise no less) would make my day,
I wouldn't want to spread rumors. Jam on!

Post subject: hmmm...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:25 pm 
the grapes were very cool. i never saw them live.
here's an excerpt i recently found taken from 1995 re their new
album (at the time)-

The Graham Weekly Album Review #982
The Grapes: Private Stock -- by George Graham
(Intersound 9606 As broadcast on WVIA-FM 3/8/95)

Private Stock the new debut album by the Atlanta-based quartet The Grapes, shows that 1970s style Southern Rock is alive and well in the hands of younger bands who are drawing on the best aspects of the style and adding their own creative input. Of the several such bands who have released albums recently, the Grapes hold closest to the tradition of the Allman Brothers and Marshall Tucker Bands, though they do it with only one guitar in their group. Guitarist Ted Norton does cheat on the album and overdub some multiple parts, but keyboardist Steven Fink is also an important part of the group's sound, just as Chuck Leavell added much to the Allman Brothers Band. The group's songs are worthwhile, their musicianship is first-rate and their arrangements quite tasteful.

here's the link: http://georgegraham.com/grapes.html

not sure how many CDs theyput out. theyw ere touring mid level venues all over the country.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:34 am 
The Grapes played my high school graduation party.

That's cool and all, but...

Shouldn't the "sticky" things be for official Jam Cruise stuff? Do we really want to log on and the whole first page be pulled up with random and personal stuff tacked to the top?

Not trying to be the message board nazi, but...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:39 am 
It's not worth the sticky, imo.

I love the Grapes, and unless you are "telling" us a true thing and not lining it with a pretense of a 'rumor' - then it shouldn't be a sticky.

I think the Grapes played a re-union at the Brandyhouse the day we got back from the JCII...right?

Remember when they used to play the quad at Emory? Mid 80's yes, but dig into your banks for this one...

Post subject: ugh!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:28 am 
look people - i don't know what the problem is - moderator ego or something...

i'm just another person who had a slammin' time on jamcruise - keepin up to date with the friends i made.

if you guys want to spoil my fun & act like you make the rules...whatever. keep it comin' b/c you ain't spoilin' nothin!!!!!!!!!!!

peace to the kind peeps on here,
jamgrrl
atlanta jams!

Post subject: ps
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:19 am 

:idea: little bit of advice:
if you don't want my thread to stay at the top...don't reply to it. that way it gets moved to the bottom.

also - i didn't say anything about a "grapes reunion" - i'm talking about a whole different band (that happens to have some former members of the grapes). that band is called WAYSIDE RIDERS. they got their own sound - their own way of playin' & it's MAD RIGHTEOUS JAM ROCK.
:arrow: see 'em if you can...

peace out all - i'm done :!: :roll:

cya back on da boat,
jamgrrl

Post subject: The Grapes
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:17 am 

the Grapes first 2 cd 's "Water to Wine" and High or Low" are 2 of my all time favorites! "Dream the Night Away" was Hot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:06 am 
I first found out about The Grapes on the first AWARE compilation. I instantly fell in love with their songs "Water to Wine" and "Ship in a Bottle" and "Lorax." I had the opportunity to see them in '94 in Newton, MA. For anyone who's seen them, do you remember how the bass player used to set up his mic? It was position above him (pointing down) and he'd sing up into it. I've never seen anyone else do this.

Regardless, I'm glad to here that their members are still floating around the music scene. Wayside Riders? Are they the band that features Panic's head roadie on guitar? Jamgirl- Didn't I meet you at that show (prior to Truck's Variety Playhouse gig), at Brandyhouse, when I was visiting my parents last Xmas? Was that Wayside Riders? I thought the guitar tech was awesome and loved how he teased Thought Sausage during their encore.

Regarding Stickies: I think they should be reserved for message board admins only. There purpose if for useful updates, FAQs and the like. I don't think they're qualified for regular posts. However, Jamgirl, I could care less if you post stickies rather than regular posts. They're optioned to us, for our use now, so it's their own fault whether they don't like it when a regular user posts with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:07 am 

That post (above) was me, by the way. I forot to login. Oops!

Post subject: yayaya
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:49 am 
hey there jonathan! - sam holt (panic guitar tech) has been a guest guitarist with wayside riders. and if you saw them just b4 derek trucks, then you probably did see sam play. sam has his own band, OUTFORMATION. he played as a guest guitarist a few times, as did Ted Norton. now they have lefty (aka/jason), formerly with nothin simple (also from atlanta).

when will you be in atlanta again? wayside riders play at brandyhouse 2/6.

jamgrrl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:55 am 

aaaah the Grapes. I used to see them every weekend back in the early nineties. They were my first introduction to the "scene". Their shows were really high energy. Do the Wayside Riders play any Grapes tunes?

http://www.globalrocker.com