The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mr. Peter Rowan
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:48 am 

OK, I read everything but I don’t post too much so here is a long winded one (sorry don’t read on if you don’t like the long ones... I'm drunk again). I can’t tell you all how pleased I am to know that Pete Rowan has gained a lot of new fans from Jam Cruise Virgin Voyage. I see posts on the “WHAT BANDS SHOULD BE ON JAM CRUISE 2005?” thread reading that we want more Reggae. It isn’t just any Reggae we want – what we want is Peter Rowan’s Crucial Reggae.

For those of you who haven’t heard Pete before Jam Cruise, do yourself the favor and look into and listen to his past very many musical endeavors. You will find some special magic there. For those of you who haven’t yet looked into the roots of the Jamband scene, you will find a great deal of it there. For those of you who think that Pete plays the same set over and over as I have read on this board, realize that this is a relatively new experiment for him, for he is and was one of the original Bluegrass Boys before becoming the singer and songwriter for the greatest selling Bluegrass album ever with Jerry Garcia, David Grisman, Vassar Clements, and John Kahn, he is an acoustic musician by heart, a truly one of a very kind vocalist, a true Searcher of Spirit in the American Dustbowl West, the Far East, and the wide world.

Bill Monroe, the father of Bluegrass, and in many ways, believe it or not, the very Father of most of the music you and I now seek out, he (Mr. Monroe) wouldn’t stray far from his creation of bluegrass, mentioned that there was another kind of music somewhere out there. I have read that Pete believes that this music was Reggae. Pete is now sharing that belief with all of us, and in my humble opinion, is again developing a new style of music - “Reggaebilly” - that will eventually fall into the vaults of musical history with the rest of these legendary creations.

This post is in thanks to Peter Rowan for the great musical gifts he has provided, continues, and will continue to provide. My Rebecca and I got married on this cruise because of, besides of course of our deep and undying love for one another, wanted to enjoy the great continuing career of Mr. Peter Rowan on our special wedding cruise.

Thanks again to all who put this together and everyone who were a part of this experience. I can’t possibly imagine getting married any other way. And, thanks Pete. Please get on board next year!

I got carried on writing this while listing to the Jam Cruise 1 Grand Ballroom Set (January 8th, 2004). Big thanks to Ethan for recording this!

BTW – Ethan, the set list so far as I can figure, is as follows:

1. Penny In My Pocket
2. Concrete Jungle
3. No Woman No Cry
4. Geronimo
5. Pullin the Devil by the Tail
6. Little Maggie
7. Angel Island
8. I Don’t Want to Live without Your Love

1. Cukoo Bird
2. Blue & Lonesome Too
3. Every Man Woman & Child
4. I Want to Go Home > Banana Boat >
5. Ride the Donkey

Let me know if the above is mistaken in any way. BTW… Anyone record Pete with the DDBB??? I want to hear him again by da pool wit da horns!! Email me and let’s chat.

Peace Friends,

Joseph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:46 am 
I 2nd that....
Although I prefer the Texas Trio over the Cruicial Reggae. It's all good though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:26 pm 

Peter Rowan's Crucial Reggae was the *BEST* show I saw on JC1. It was incredible. I have seen Peter several times in the past, and he never ceases to amaze me.

And you are right about Bill Monroe being the father of it all. I actually live in Bloomington, IN (aka MONROE county), about 10 miles from Bean Blossom, where Bill Monroe lived his life. Peter & Jerry & lots of incredible musicians used to visit Bill here.

Like I always say, respect your roots! :) The roots of our music today DO come from Bill Monroe (& the Grateful Dead, yo!) & lots of other incredible musicians who deserve some recognition. :)

http://www.mountainsofthemoon.com

"Forever Family, Forever Grateful"

Post subject: Peter Roxz!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:27 pm 
I whole heartedly second that emotion!

I too enjoyed getting to see Peter so relaxed and so enjoying the cruise.
He truely is one of the elder statesman on the scene that he has continued to move forward.

While I enjoyed the Crucial sets (those fellas backing Peter up all have long histories with reaggae music - several of them played with Peter Tosh, Bunny Wailer and a fella named Bob Marley) tremendously - I really enjoyed getting to hang out with Peter on the snorkleing excursion in the Keys (and my wifey was one of 3 others who showed up for yoga with Peter one morning) and hear him reminsce (sp?) with Jeff the guide from the Reef Rescue project - about the early days in NYC and the various clubs and bands emerging at that time (can you say Filmore East?) [this transperancy between artist and fan was one of my favorite aspects of the cruise itself (yeah - and the music was good too!)]

Thanks Jam Cruise for inviting Peter and the boys - showing how even old dogs CAN learn new tricks - Peter is continuing to do what he has aways done - create vibrant and deep rooted music!

as Sam Bush would say - BRAVO!
cheers -
Stewart
:D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:35 am 

Big fan or Peter Rowan here. I'm also the one who whined about his playing the same set everytime.

I haven't forgotten that this is a new experiment for him. Hell, I can't remember all the bands I've seen (or heard) him in.

In Florida we have the Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park, home to two of THE most chill music festivals in the country: MagnoliaFest and SpringFest. Peter Rowan is regarded as the "patron saint" of those festivals. Whenever I have taken the time off from work, packed up the tent, and headed up to either of those festivals, there has always been one thought first and foremost on my mind.... Peter Rowan and Vassar Clement together on stage performing for me.

I was there, front row, for the AMAZING reunion of Old and in the Way, sans Jerry of course. What I'm getting at is that I am a fan of Peter Rowan. BIG FAN. Maybe that's why I was dissapointed with his setlist. I mean, if I was bitching about him playing the same set everytime.... think about it... where was I? Yep. I was there - everytime.

I bet I'm not alone but I'm feeling like I might be after I say this.... I don't like reggae. Most all of it ends up sounding the same after the first ten measures and it REALLY sounds the same when you play it over and over again. I'm hoping that Peter Rowan loses interest in this genre, or tweaks it so much that it ceases to be "reggae." Call it reggaebilly, whatever, the man is so talented I believe he could pull it off. But, from what I heard, it's still reggae. Crucial Reggae, ReggaeBilly, still reggae.

Just wanted to add my $0.02 as a fan of PR. My favorite effort of his? Easy, Seatrain. My least favorite? Right now it's a tie between Crucial Reggae and The Free Mexican Air Force. Sheesh - at least he wasn't up there yodeling in a gilded sombrero this time!

And on a side note that has nothing to do with music - he's a super nice guy and by speaking some well chosen words while conversing with friends of mine, he totally made the cruise even more special for both of them. They still talk about what a great guy he was to meet and how much they enjoyed talking with him.

Cheers to Peter Rowan.
Jeers to Crucial Reggae.

D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:06 pm 

Dale, when I get to Florida I am gonna kick your ass! ;)

How can you not love Reggae????? :)

http://www.mountainsofthemoon.com

"Forever Family, Forever Grateful"

Post subject: Another $.02
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:07 pm 
I just need to add another couple of pennies here. I first met Peter at a bluegrass fest in Idaho and have always been a fan of O&ITW. I love reggae! Where else can one find this amazing combination?

During JC I Peter and I got to talking. I was there as a volunteer, and I was not working my uasual job as a sound engineer. Peter started asking about what I did in the "real world" and when he found out I was a tech he asked me to mix his set on the pool deck w/the Dirty Dozen. What an honor! He didn't know me from Adam, and here he is trusting me to "dub" his set. It was my highlight of JC I for sure! We had a lot of fun. People seemed to notice my attempt to a King Tubby like sound.

At the end of JC I we exchanged numbers and I said goodbye. I have exchanged many numbers from many "stars" and I uasually know where that ends up. This was a little different. He actually came to meet me at Sweetwaters in Mill Valley to see my friend's band play an acoustic set there. As I sat there and talked with him about the possibility of working together in the future it made me realize that this is probably one of the most nice people in the entertainment business!

As for the next Jam Cruise, we need him there!! He is definately one of the original greats, and he is still out there doing what he loves. In the years working with a lot of Jam Bands I know that a new project has limited set lists. So to all you who said some negative stuff, have patience. Remember, the original Jerry Garcia Band only played a handfull of songs over the years.......... :D

As for me, I have made a new friend and have another special memory. Another Jam Cruise story. I hope to see him in the future playing anything, reggae or not, it's all good...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:36 pm 
Wow! What a great story, turtleman. Somehow I am not surprised...since Peter Rowan seems real humble to me. I had the opportunity to meet and speak with him myself..he definitely made JC1 as special as it was for me. The one thing I told my boyfriend I wished for while on JC1 was to hug Peter Rowan and that I did. :D
Moonmamamel, when are you coming to Florida? I would like to meet you. Thank you for the stickers I got, as promised, in the mail. You have to kick my butt too. I reggae is definitely NOT one of my favorites. I've tried real hard to appreciate it, and I do to an extent, but I'd rather hear Mr. Rowan sing "Walls of Time" over "No Woman No Cry" anyday!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:07 am 
hey turtle how bout some SHN's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:14 pm 

FunkMeister wrote:
I haven't forgotten that this is a new experiment for him. Hell, I can't remember all the bands I've seen (or heard) him in.

In Florida we have the Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park, home to two of THE most chill music festivals in the country: MagnoliaFest and SpringFest. Peter Rowan is regarded as the "patron saint" of those festivals. Whenever I have taken the time off from work, packed up the tent, and headed up to either of those festivals, there has always been one thought first and foremost on my mind.... Peter Rowan and Vassar Clement together on stage performing for me.

I was there, front row, for the AMAZING reunion of Old and in the Way, sans Jerry of course. What I'm getting at is that I am a fan of Peter Rowan. BIG FAN. Maybe that's why I was dissapointed with his setlist. I mean, if I was bitching about him playing the same set everytime.... think about it... where was I? Yep. I was there - everytime.

Yea Meister I make the trek from KC to Live Oak for that fest every chance I get. Unfortunately, I missed the last couple. But - I was there for the first few years and loved the original 1997 MagFest - Sunshine Daydream Weekend. The O&ITW reunion was amazing no doubt. It was great to see Merl Saunders, Quicksilver, Grisman Quintet, and other greats such as Vassar Clements and Peter Rowan (to name a very few) all together for a Jerry Garcia tribute festival. Great mixture of bluegrass and late night jams. I think that my favorite set of that fest was when Peter played with Chesapeake. That "Long Black Veil" made the hair stand up on the back of my neck under the mossy oak trees on that gray damp day. Gave me chills… :shock:

I recently acquired the entire ‘97 MagFest - SBD’s. I am now almost finished EACing and SHNing the whole fest and will first offer the Peter Rowan with Chesapeake disc later on this thread. I am leaving the country for a couple of weeks so will make this offer when I get back. Keep your eyes out and I will offer some other great Rowan sets here in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:41 pm 
It seems like Peter Rowan does a lot of touring with the Crucial Reggae. I haven't heard anything about the Texas Trio with Bill and Brynn (sp?) Bright. Even Merle Fest has the Reggae band listed. I know he sits in with all the bluegrass boys but I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not he still plays with the trio? I was hoping they would be at Spring Fest this year. Please don't think I'm criticizing the Crucial Reggae band. I think they are fine musicians. I just prefer the Texas Trio. I thought that Liza Oxnard and Ms. Nershi did a great job singing back up vocals on the cruise..but nothing beats Brynn Bright singing with her standup bass!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:37 pm 
soulsistah wrote:
It seems like Peter Rowan does a lot of touring with the Crucial Reggae. I haven't heard anything about the Texas Trio with Bill and Brynn (sp?) Bright. Even Merle Fest has the Reggae band listed. I know he sits in with all the bluegrass boys but I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not he still plays with the trio? I was hoping they would be at Spring Fest this year. Please don't think I'm criticizing the Crucial Reggae band. I think they are fine musicians. I just prefer the Texas Trio. I thought that Liza Oxnard and Ms. Nershi did a great job singing back up vocals on the cruise..but nothing beats Brynn Bright singing with her standup bass!!

As you know, Billy & Bryn Bright along with Rowan made up the Texas Trio. I love the Trio too! - Bryn and Pete have a great vocal blend! Many times the trio played with Vassar Clements and Tony Rice (what a great band!!!). Billy & Bryn are touring as The Two High String Band. Check out their site here for all who haven't heard em: http://highstring.com/ The site shows them playing at Spring Fest but they aren't yet listed on the Magmusic site. Tony, Vassar, Donna the Buffalo, Bela Fleck & The Flecktones and lots of others will be at Spring Fest as well and I'm sure that Pete will play with most, if not all of them.

He's played with Donna the Buffalo before. I loved him with SCI a few years back! Also, went to see him at the 1999/2000 Mile High Millennium with Leftover Salmon, Sam Bush, John Cowan........

He's doing a lot of touring with Crucial Reggae but I'm sure will always be playing solo and often with Jam Bands, Bluegrass Bands, and whomever else he crosses. :D

This is a news flash from Pete's website:

"Peter is mixing his project with Tony Rice and the Texas Trio for Rounder Records. It is scheduled to be released early this summer. A tour to support this CD will begin at the end of the summer."

It looks like the above news flash was posted after the Jam Cruise stuff but it doesn't list a date so it's hard to tell if it's really current.

Cya Sistah!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:39 pm 

^
^
^
Oops forgot to log in...