The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: JAZZFEST IN NEW ORLEANS
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:52 pm 
Hey fellow jamcruisers:

I am heading for New Orleans next Friday and wanted to know if any of you had been to JazzFest.

I am looking for secret party spots, best eateries, cool places to see, anything that someone should know, be careful of, etc

Thanks for letting me know............bye!

Post subject: Me too!!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:12 am 

My husband and I are going for our first time too. Any info would be appreciated.

We've already made contact with some of our Jamcruise 2 friends who live in New Orleans, but are always wanting to meet more Jamcruisers. 8)

Anyone else going to see Galactic on the 24th?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:20 am 
Go see the Chris Robinson show at Twi Ro Pa on the 2nd Friday. They just released more tix. Also go see Greyboy Allstars the following night on Saturday! Those are the two shows I have committed myself to. Everything else is gonna be spontaneous. I think that's the best advice I can give is try to pick a few shows that you HAVE to see, and play by ear the rest of the time.
As far as venues, I hate the French Quarter. It's cool during the day...we try to go the last Sunday every year and catch the ferry to the French Market. That's always fun. But I HATE the Quarter at night since it draws way to many drunk tourists. It reminds me of Mardi Gras, which I am just too old to enjoy. Anyhow, try checking out chrisjoseph/neensgrids.com for info on evening and late night shows all over town. Go to nolajazzfest.com message board to get a feel of what your in for.

Post subject: fess jazztival
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:15 pm 
use this to make music decisions:
http://www.cajaeir.com/jazzfest/

other than that... wow, new orleans is a great town and you will not go wrong with any decision you make. my crew was on the first cruise and will be gathering down in nola for the only other party that comes close to the depravity that i experienced on the boat.

we are lucky if we drag our sorry butts to the fairgrounds one day out of the three or four we are there... its nola vampire style for us.. party till the sun comes up...

arrive on wednesday night... maybe catch the last set of sam kinninger

thursday... ropeadope new music seminar... into karl d
friday... ween/mmw into vinyl into sam kinninger breakfast set into dayfest
saturday... gba into rw/2c
sunday drag our tired bodies home

if we are lucky we will catch 10 bands in 4 days plus what we see at dayfest.

sound familiar ? ;)

when i say jazzfest, you say all night....

peace,
evenstar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:52 pm 
"When I say JF you say ALL NIGHT!"
Karl D. 5-5-01 at Tip's Uptown. I was there!! Poor ol' Lenny couldn't quite make it through the set. I actually have that show on c.d.

Looks like we will be attending some of the same shows.
We are definitely on the same schedule! I hope to hit the day fest on Saturday. Everything else is twilight for me too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:06 pm 
or was it 5-1-01?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:00 am 

It was indeed 5-5-01 (according to the date in my music trading list - not according to my memory!). It was indeed at Tip's Uptown. It was the night that I met the Soulsistah and her man (for the second time) Her man, as I recall, was having a bit of trouble speaking coherently at the time. Lots of "induced vibrations" making him a little incoherent, but friendly, very friendly! It was the night Lenny wasn't holding it together too well either. It was the night that I walked almost all the way back to our hotel with a guy named Disco Tony.

Sunday morning in New Orleans, first light, people all dressed up and on their way to church, and there we were: Two guys, one of whom was wearing a mutlicolored afro-wig, and who had obviously been out all night partying in a club, staggering down the street trying to figure out how to get back to the french quarter. That was a long walk after a long night of Festing!

"When I say JazzFest, you say ALL NIGHT!"

Jazz Fest!

All night!!

Jazz Fest!!!

ALL NIGHT!!!!

Wish I were going this year. :(

M+P, have some fun for me.... at least think of me when you hit Igor's after an all nighter!

D

PS: Everyone watching the Caution Recording Thread? I wonder if we'll ever hear some more music from the virgin voyage.

Post subject: Festival time is here !
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:38 am 
Definately get you butt up and go to the Fairgrounds everyday.

You w

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:26 pm 
get up??? you mean, 'get up' off the ground after you stumble and fall on yer way out of Tip's? there's no crying in baseball and there's no sleeping at Jazzfest.

Have fun, campers!!!

(oh ps, keep yer eyes peeled for Wookie #1, aka toad, from JC1 - he'll be representin the high sierra porch crew in NoLa)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:24 pm 
Site Admin

No one on this thread wants to be on the Jam Cruise street team in exchange for tickets down in Nola?

I'm surprised...

Hit me off the list

Julie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:14 pm 
I already emailed you and am more than happy to help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:17 pm 
Site Admin

who are you again?

sorry, the screen name is hard to deciper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:34 pm 
Julie McCoy, I am Soulsistah....I am also Mimi from Pompano Beach, FL. Friendly with Boulder Bill & Aimee and beloved Dale. :)