The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My First Jam Cruise, Lets Talk Cabins
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:57 pm 

Jam Cruise first timer here.
I am looking at this deck plan trying to figure out where / what to book.

Any of you vets have any advise as to whats what with these cabins? where are the quiet areas? where are the party areas? where do the bands stay? has anybody seen my friend molly? if I am prebooking on the 18th, what will be full and i have no chance of getting? What cabins have easy access to what? such and such

Post subject: Re: My First Jam Cruise, Lets Talk Cabins
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:26 pm 

gorilla wrote:
Jam Cruise first timer here.
I am looking at this deck plan trying to figure out where / what to book.

Any of you vets have any advise as to whats what with these cabins? where are the quiet areas? where are the party areas? where do the bands stay? has anybody seen my friend molly? if I am prebooking on the 18th, what will be full and i have no chance of getting? What cabins have easy access to what? such and such

Let's see if I can help. You can select cabin based on several things.
Budget: the lower and the further inside the ship you get (no balconies) the cheaper it gets. These cabins go first. Musicians that want it cheap stay down on deck 8. There are cabins spread out all the way to deck 5.
As you get higher up in the ship it gets more expensive ($50 per deck and person) and if you get a balcony you pay a premium for that.
If you're concerned about ship movements, a few things to consider: Far back and low in the ship you have more noise and vibrations from the engines and propulsion. In the other end, towards the front, you're going to feel the sea more, especially if we get into some weather. It's a big ship though so you're not going bounce around too much.
You can also look at what you're close to. In the back of the ship you're close to elevators for buffet and restaurants, jam room, pool deck, disco. In the front you're closer to all other stages (zebra bar, theater) and also to elevators to the pool deck. The pool deck is where most of the big acts play and where you are likely to spend most of your time.
What goes first?
Cheap goes first. Low and inside. Cabins close to elevators go first. There are also a bunch of krewes that have sailed for years. They tend to book up blocks of cabins close together. It's a tradition to decorate your cabin door and sometimes you see parts of the hallways completely done up when you walk through one of the neighborhoods.
I personally like the balcony. You can sit and stare out over the ocean and if you are far enough up you can hear the bands playing on pool deck. Truthfully, I don't spend a whole lot of time in the cabin. There is just so much to do. But when I need some down time it's nice to have somewhere cozy to hang. You will of course have to weigh that against the extra $$$.
Regardless where you stay, you will never be the same again. This is nothing I can describe, it has to be lived. But trust me, it's a good thing!

PS. Send my love to Molly if you find her! :D

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:24 am 

awesome. lots of great advice! thanks!

I have been studying the deck maps. we definetly want a balcony. looks like if there are 2 of us we are going to go with a Cat 6 ot Cat 7 cabin, which will put us at the front or back of decks 8, 9, 10, or 11.
or, if we pick up a 3rd person we are going to go with Cat 9 or 10. it looks like there are only a few cat 9 cabins, all looking off the back of the ship on decks 8 & 9, whereas the cat 10's are all in the center of decks 9 & 10.

Any thoughts as to if the front or the back of the ship being better? any thoughts on one deck vs another? Any decks more prone to be party decks than others?

so they actually spread the bands out all over the ship? that is interesting, i would have figured they would have them all staying in a block.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:38 am 

gorilla wrote:
so they actually spread the bands out all over the ship? that is interesting, i would have figured they would have them all staying in a block.

the artists are mixed in with everyone. You'll be eating at a table next to Karl D, riding an elevator with JJ Grey, watching music standing next to Eric Krasno. You might be a cabin next to George Porter. You just never know what adventures await you!!

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:55 am 

I like the front of the boat for less vibrations/sound. I think the 10th or 11th floor is good because you are between most of the action (top deck main stage and the theater/zebra lounge below)...so only a few quick flights up or down from the tunes at any moment.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:02 pm 

I would agree that somewhere from midship forward gives the easiest access to most of the "happening" areas...also, I have found that decks 10, 11 or 12 ..even 14 in the bow is a great spot but you normally have to be really early in the booking process to get one of those...any of these help that access ...as others have pointed out however, you're not going to be in your cabin all that much..there's just too much going on all the time ...

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:49 pm 

Are there really only 16 catagory 9 rooms on the whole ship? looks like 8 on the very back of the ship on deck 8, and 8 on the very back of the ship on deck 9, and that is it.

16 catagory 9 rooms is almost false advertising on the price. its like when langerado would have "presales" and only release 10 tickets.

am i missing something or are there really on 16 cat 9 rooms?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:08 am 

It's certainly possible. Some categories are very limited. Category 1 quads, the cheapest way to get on the ship are very limited too. Those rear-facing balconies are kinda premium, and likely will be booked very early, as well as the cheapest cabins. I'd hardly call it false advertising. Some offerings are just more limited than others. Keep coming back. The more cruises you've been on, the earlier you get to book. Eventually you will be big pimpin' in one of those rear-facing balcony rooms, watching an endless wake and beautiful sunsets.

Last edited by stASH on Mon May 07, 2012 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:45 pm 

Thanks for starting this question...I'm a "virgin cruiser" and was wondering the same!

Appreciate the tips guys!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:09 pm 

the party deck is the entire ship. :DANCE: