The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jam Room Idea
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:47 am 

i would endorse this idea,,,if then up in the disco, they set up a kit, amps & keys,,,,,,,yea make the jamroom the disco & then stick the disco in the belly of da boat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:25 pm 

Hmm. I wanted my first posts after coming back to be positive. Let's see if I can phrase this in such a way...
I think it's great that our dear friends of electronica have got their own cruise, that we occasionally do electronica in the disco, and even hire bands that cross over into this genre. For the few of us left that are still struggling to fully appreciate this kind of music, we still used to have that secret little hideaway at the aft of deck 7 called the jam room. It's the last bastion of organic music. It's like the last secret smoking bar in California. Maybe, just maybe, I plead, could we be allowed to keep the jam room as a jam room? Do you mind?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:35 pm 

yes, you can have your jamroom just as long as you realize that this could happen without your permission. As the winds and currents change the chords of music will rearrange, to some this might fell strange but music has limitless range

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:49 pm 

how do people still not get this? i dont want turntables in the jamroom. i just want some more musical variety. you don't need different instruments. you just need musicians willing to change up the style... and drummers who like to play 140+ bpm.

so... there's this band called brothers past who would be great for the boat... :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:42 pm 

collins wrote:
yes, you can have your jamroom just as long as you realize that this could happen without your permission.

AFAIK nothing happens on JC as a result of my permission. Unless I suddenly gained supernatural powers I'm not even aware of? :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:47 am 

pirospiros wrote:
So, it's been brought up that a featured night/period of time in the Jam Room should have a showcase for electronic/synthesized instruments/music. And, not to discriminate, I would imagine that no instruments would be barred. Rather it would be directed toward a new horizon of improvisational art form, away from traditional songs and chord progressions. Sounds awful, right?? :lol:
Just blame pirospiros... then everything will be alright. :twisted:

odman wrote:
It's the last bastion of organic music.
I do have to say, I like the idea of the jamroom being more organic. Then when I'm up for it, I'll head up to the disco for some untzz.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:15 am 

col4bin wrote:
how do people still not get this? i dont want turntables in the jamroom. i just want some more musical variety. you don't need different instruments. you just need musicians willing to change up the style... and drummers who like to play 140+ bpm.

so... there's this band called brothers past who would be great for the boat... :roll:

well this is an easy fix,,,,,,,,just get rid of the "HOSTS"!
when they 1st started having a host, i was all for it,,,,,,but now years later,,i feel having hosts limit the style of music that gets played,,you see if there were NO hosts,,then any musician would feel like checking out the jam room, he doesn't have to be friends w/ the host,,ya heard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:25 am 

double-edged sword. no hosts left the jamroom with big lulls in the middle of the evening because there was no coordination.

the jamroom peaked on jc6 for me. no doubt there have been highlights since, but i dont see it getting back to that level without some fresh creative energy behind it.

how about booking dr. fameus to play the disco and give him one night as host in the jamroom so he can throw down dnb/jungle/dub jams?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:31 pm 

mike greenfield would make an awesome artist at large and jamroom host as well. just saying.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:20 pm 

Without any idea of how Jamroom works... :lol:

Does a single Host create too much of a safe zone ?

I wonder if "Co-Hosting" could improve things any ?

The Co-Hosts would encourage each of their "networks" to come down and be comfortable, then, they'd be mixing it up more ?

Explicative Affirmative

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:01 pm 

it probably varies from host to host. it probably also depends on which artists feel like playing any given night. there are a lot of ins and out... and what-have-yous.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:15 pm 

col4bin wrote:

Barefoot :WHISTLE:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:36 am 

yea i agree,,,,when there was no "host",,,we had lows in the jamroom/had to listen to 20mins of noodling, to get 15mins of jams!, but the jams were sick,,,unlike anything played before,,,,,,it was worth it!!!!!!!!

no hosts please,,,,,,

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:45 am 

odman wrote:
Hmm. I wanted my first posts after coming back to be positive. Let's see if I can phrase this in such a way...
I think it's great that our dear friends of electronica have got their own cruise, that we occasionally do electronica in the disco, and even hire bands that cross over into this genre. For the few of us left that are still struggling to fully appreciate this kind of music, we still used to have that secret little hideaway at the aft of deck 7 called the jam room. It's the last bastion of organic music. It's like the last secret smoking bar in California. Maybe, just maybe, I plead, could we be allowed to keep the jam room as a jam room? Do you mind?

I realize its hard to get in to this genre of music and I complety understand that ... but live electronic music can be unbelieveably organic if you get the right people together, or the right producer... and that "other cruise" gives electronic music a very bad name... that cruise is to electronic music as nickelback is to rock and roll... only those who dont really aprreciate music for what it is like that sort of scene... at camp bisco this year Emancipator played with his live violin player, simon bonobo green on bass, dom from big g on sax, and jon barber on guitar. talk about a beautiful and amazingly organic sound they made. If you give some of it a chance you may be surprised. i don't expect you to like it all, there is a lot of incredible producers out there. but i feel ya on the jam room... you could bring a different sound in there sometimes... it does get pretty monotonous in there sometimes. this may be best in the disco, but don't knock it til ya try it at least once... ya got 5 days in there... we cant have one little bitty night to try something new :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:32 pm 

LOSTSAILORDESIGN wrote:
odman wrote:

I realize its hard to get in to this genre of music and I complety understand that ... but live electronic music can be unbelieveably organic if you get the right people together, or the right producer... and that "other cruise" gives electronic music a very bad name... that cruise is to electronic music as nickelback is to rock and roll... only those who dont really aprreciate music for what it is like that sort of scene... at camp bisco this year Emancipator played with his live violin player, simon bonobo green on bass, dom from big g on sax, and jon barber on guitar. talk about a beautiful and amazingly organic sound they made. If you give some of it a chance you may be surprised. i don't expect you to like it all, there is a lot of incredible producers out there. but i feel ya on the jam room... you could bring a different sound in there sometimes... it does get pretty monotonous in there sometimes. this may be best in the disco, but don't knock it til ya try it at least once... ya got 5 days in there... we cant have one little bitty night to try something new :D

Ok, so maybe I don't hate on everything with a power plug. I admit there are some good electronic music too. Growing up in Europe there was a lot of it, all from the space sounds of Jean-Michelle Jarre in Oxygene to the synth in the back of Ramstein. So yes Electronic music can be good. The problem I'm concerned about is that sometimes it tends to become only an untz untz rave party and there is only one dimension to the music. The harmonic aspect is lost. There is a time and a place for that, but it's not exactly easy to jam too. So the key question for me would be, can the electronic music blend in, co-operate and enhance the jam experience? Or is it going to be the bull in the china shop that runs in, crashes the party and plants its own flag on the stage? I'm sure I'd enjoy the former but I hope you can also see why I fear the later.
But hey, I'm all for experimenting. We could pick a day for new explorations and let the jam room go wherever it wants to go. All the players would have to know in advance that they are about to transcend the known musical universe. Only the ones that would be up for such a challenge would show up. Banjo and Kaossilator, why not? I'd definitely come and check it out. We may find a new tasty concoction of seemingly incompatible ingredients or we may watch a lab experiment blow up in our faces. Either way, I'm up for giving it a try for a night. But just one, ok? There are a lot of cats I'd like to see jam!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next