The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jammin in Jamaica with Everyone Orchestra TICKETS
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:46 am 

Positive Legacy presents Jammin in Jamaica with Everyone Orchestra
at Reggae in the Sun

With members of ALO, New Mastersounds, The Revivalists and MarchFourth Marching Band plus Steve Kimock, Kofi Burbridge, Allie Kral, Anders Beck, Paul Hoffman and more…will be joined by Jamaican artists…The Wailers, Chokey Taylor, DYCR, Kidus-I and in a Di Yard Band, DJ Big Head and such, The Heptones, King Yellow Man, Love Truly, Medical, Warrior King and Alex Marley

Monday January 6, 2014
9:45 am to 3:15 pm

Location: Ras Astor Black Music & Arts Learning Institute in Falmouth, Jamaica
Donation: $60 in advance, $75 on the boat

Join Positive Legacy for a visit to the Ras Astor Black Music & Arts Learning Institute for a day of interactive entertainment to benefit youth skills development in Jamaica. Students from the Music & Arts Learning Institute will “edutain” us and share the skills they have been learning.

Students will gain inspiration, encouragement and new skills in a one hour interactive workshop with guest musicians and will then jam together in a lunch time jam session. Jam Cruise guests will enjoy a one hour cooking session on Jerk, Jamaica cooking style, by culinary students and will receive a delicious lunch and a free recipe booklet. Students will also lead tours of the Reggae Walk of Fame. Futbol with our Jamaican friends will be offered for those who enjoy kicking the ball around.

Everyone Orchestra conductor Matt Butler will take us into uncharted territory with a unique collaboration between Jam Cruise musicians, Reggae Walk of Fame artists and students from the Music & Arts Institute. As always, audience participation will fuel this once in a lifetime musical experience.

While we are in Jammin in Jamaica, Positive Legacy will partner with the Bob Moog Foundation to bring the Dr. Bob’s SoundSchool experience to the students at the Music & Arts Learning Institute. The BMF will present the history of the Moog Legacy and basics of sonic science while allowing the students to create and learn in a fun interactive atmosphere. Experiential stations consisting of different combinations of Moog gear, including theremins, synthesizers, effect pedals and more will be used to teach and inspire the students.

Proceeds from this event will benefit the Music & Arts Learning Institute, where tuition is always FREE. Funds generated by this event will aid the construction of a new audio and video recording studio at the institute. The institute was founded in 1994 by Ras Astor Black and is part of an exciting entertainment and sports complex, including a Reggae Walk of Fame. The institute provides tuition free education in all areas of the arts including music & video production, photography, culinary arts, radio production, broadcast journalism, marketing and advertising. Courses at the institute highlight the importance of education, teamwork, punctuality and discipline. The skills learned at the institute create tremendous opportunities for Jamaica's youth, for whom the unemployment rate is 32.2 percent.

We invite Jam Cruise guests to join us for an afternoon of music and connection in Falmouth on January 6th. Tickets for this event are $60 in advance, $75 on the boat, which includes the cost of transportation, Rastafari vegetarian lunch and a donation to the Music & Arts Learning Institute. All donations are nonrefundable and this event is rain or shine. Tickets for this event are limited so reserve your tickets now!

TICKETING LINK: http://positivelegacy.com/event-registration/?ee=1

Post subject: Re: Jammin in Jamaica with Everyone Orchestra TICKETS
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:16 am 

You sure do make it difficult to stay on the ship and sleep. :CLAP:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:42 am 

looks amazing. I'm signed up

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:17 pm 

Would love to do this at any cost, BUT I have been to Jamaica twicw before and it is truly a dangerous place. We found that you can't really wander & explore, hang out in local bars..ect. Will all the events in Jamaica be planned, supervised, security provided - safe? I'd buy in a minute, loved many people I met at Sunsplash. Also met many that didn't care for us for various reason. Jamaica is a place to be very cautious!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:30 pm 

It seems pretty clear that THIS excursion is at one location with local staff and students plus jam cruise artists and passengers. I would not be concerned at all with my security on this one.

But you seem to be asking a more general question by saying "Will all the events in Jamaica be planned, supervised, security provided - safe?" The answer is NO. Passengers are free to get off and explore Jamaica on their own and accept personal responsibility for doing whatever they want. Excursions offered by MSC will most likely be run by local tour companies that work with MSC. They will be planned and supervised/guided. If that makes you feel safer, awesome :) I doubt anyone will tell you they 'provide security' on a cruise ship excursion.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:57 pm 

I have always found in Jamaica, and any other of the other country that we visit, that if you stray from the "tourist" areas you must just be vigilant in how you conduct yourself. We have never had any problems and have always felt safe. Some of the best times have been in local hangs.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:02 pm 

I spent a week in Jamaica and the only time I was worried was when my cabbie got pulled over by the cops.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:21 pm 

This looks great! However, Cloud 9 said they are releasing an email about other Excursions when I emailed them. We should hear mid December, so I may wait to see what they are...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:40 am 

maxcady wrote:
Would love to do this at any cost, BUT I have been to Jamaica twicw before and it is truly a dangerous place. We found that you can't really wander & explore, hang out in local bars..ect. Will all the events in Jamaica be planned, supervised, security provided - safe? I'd buy in a minute, loved many people I met at Sunsplash. Also met many that didn't care for us for various reason. Jamaica is a place to be very cautious!
I can't speak for other events, but the last time Jamcruise was in Falmouth, we participated in the excursion to the same place and we were never in any danger. We actually just walked there from the ship, but Ras Astor Black met us at the port and walked with us. We did receive some attention from locals, but we were carrying 60 cruiser-decorated hula hoops to donate to the school, so we weren't exactly inconspicuous. Looks like they have arranged transportation so cruisers won't even have to walk this time.

This sounds like it will be a wonderful excursion.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:33 pm 

I can say without a doubt that there are zero security issues in conjunction with this event. Yes, there will be boat excursions, and there might even be a few very limited private band excursions that cloud9 sets up, but the Greening events each year are the highlight of my trip. Some of my best memories come from the amazing group of people that participate in these events.

We are so excited for this.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:06 pm 

Holding out to hear about the other Excursions...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:43 pm 

Tai & I have tickets :DANCE:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:23 am 

^^ so do we. :) like I said, I adore these excursions and the folks that I spend the day with.... this is fun and rewarding. Remember folks: this is a non-profit. It's not about catamarans or dune buggy adventures. If this is your first cruise and you have never swam with the stingrays.. have at it, but if you are bored with the ports, then this is a great way to give back to the town that you have docked and meet some folks that actually give a shit about their community.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:31 am 

Since we were last at Falmouth, I think that a Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville was built inside the port.

This is good for those of us who are looking for a meal off the ship without having to go in the crowded street/marketplace area outside of the secured port.

http://www.margaritaville.com/news.html ... y=2013&m=3

That excursion does sound awesome too!

Wow - so psyched to see you amazing folks in less than a month! :DANCE:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:44 pm 

This should be a real treat, sad to miss the boat even more now. For those not so familiar with Reggae artists, the song Graduation in Zion by Kiddus I is one of my all time favorites. Check it out:

http://youtu.be/GZ0xaG430wg

Bob Marley