The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: R.I.P. Jam Cruiser (and Great Guy) Andy Cole
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:15 pm 

This year's Jam Cruise was indeed a stellar one (cool new boat, kickass bands, good folks) though some sorrow did find its way into the trip - on the last night, we were notified that our great, good friend Andy Cole had died back home in New Orleans.

My Better Half, Frank, and I had met Andy and his lovely wife Lynne on our first-ever Jam Cruise in 2011 and their continuing friendship after they moved back here to NOLA from South Carolina was like the Jam Cruise gift that kept giving. They made it back on the ship last year and were hoping for more cruises in the years to come; we never dreamed that last year's would be Andy's final cruise.

I am posting this for fellow Jam Cruisers who know Andy and Lynne and would like to send condolences her way - we are having a memorial tomorrow to wish him safe travels over the Rainbow Bridge (and to cheer on his beloved Saints, as he would want). You can sign the online memorial book here: http://obits.nola.com/obituaries/nola/obituary.aspx?n=jonathan-andrew-cole-andy&pid=168994262 and if so inspired, make a memorial donation in his name to the New Orleans Musicians Clinic (there's a link on the obit page).

Post subject: Re: R.I.P. Jam Cruiser (and Great Guy) Andy Cole
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:29 pm 

Real sorry to hear that. My sincerest condolences to you, his family & friends.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:52 am 

I haven't posted on this board in a while. Still in purple penguin status but this thread is bringing me out of the woodwork.

Andy was such a cool badass guy. I can't believe this happened. I can't believe it happened to him and I can't believe it happened to Lynne and the rest of their family. It is so sad. Holy crap I first met Andy and Lynne on JC5 I believe. We instantly bonded and became immediate friends. I looked up to him and Lynne more than they will ever know. Well Lynne, if you read this you will know.

I don't have a formula for how to deal with a loss like this. I know that we should celebrate Andy's life and we should look for joy in what a great dude he was. He was a true blue died in the wool spirit of so many things that are good in the world. How do I know this? I don't know. I just know that.

He was taken from us far too soon. I needed another boat ride with Andy. I fucking loved that guy.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:41 am 

Meet Andy on jc 8 and he and lynne became great friends. His spirit will be missed. If you have the brock set from 8 Andy is sittimg in on harmonica.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:01 pm 

We didn't get the news until we got back to the hotel, it is heartbreaking and I still haven't been able to write anything to Lynne. We met Andy and Lynne on the ship years ago, and have many fond memories of hanging out with them both on and off the ship since then. I can't believe I gave him my last hug 6 weeks ago. :( Too tragic, you will be sorely missed Andy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:50 pm 

Larry and I were heartbroken as well to learn of this. We also met Andy and Lynne a couple years ago and always looked forward to seeing them. The move to NOLA was so good for them and I loved that they just went for a dream and went back. My heart just hurts for Lynne and her family. Andy will truly be missed.

Linda

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:54 pm 

Add me to the list of folks crushed by this news, we weren't close friends but shared many shows & moments together on the boat over the years. Nothing but love for Andy & Lynne. RIP Andy, you were one of the good guys!! And much love & strength to Lynne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:46 am 

R.I.P. Andy will stay in our hearts and whenever music is present, he will be with us.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:51 pm 

yeah.... this is a tough thread to post in. My deepest condolences to Lynne and everyone close to Andy. I just met him once maybe twice and i am sorta still crushed...great guy... so sorry for the loss... any time the world loses a good person it is felt. Love to all... and peace beyond

"Ya'll are the funkiest mutha's in the universe." - Bootsy Collins (in the Pantheon Theater)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:12 am 

Thank you for all of the kind words, thoughts and prayers. Andy and I had already decided we would NOT miss JC in 2015. I just pre-booked. Crowleyfla is going to be my roomie and we know Andy will be on the boat in spirit, playing his harps on the back of the boat, sunrise on the pool deck and our balcony. I look forward to seeing ya'll in 345ish days, if not sooner! I miss my best friend so much, so much some times it is hard to breathe. Love ya'll JAMILY!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:38 pm 

lynneycole wrote:
I just pre-booked.

I am so happy to hear this. It will be a celebration of his life. Love to you. I know the road is difficult. I'm glad to see you let your friends hold you up.