The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Suggestions for next year
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:33 pm 

FWIW, I don't know any of the bands y'all are talking about. No, wait, I think Orchard Lounge was on the ship? and I have friends who saw that I think. Not my genre. I know this is totally a "to each his own" thing, but I am SO not into the Holy Ship DJ wompwomp scene. They have TWO cruises now. PLEASE DO NOT MAKE JAM CRUISE ANOTHER TRON FEST!!! :(

Sorry if this is unpopular. I like Dead. And Les. And jams... bluegrass and reggae and jazz and worldbeat and punkrockdillon, and that's what I want to see on Jam Cruise - not DJs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:12 pm 

:|

Last edited by longhairedfreak007 on Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:17 pm 

Serk you can't be everywhere at once on the boat. I feel like jamcruise needs the kind of balance we are getting. I myself have to have a little tron to level out the amount of noodle intake. I don't want too much tron I think it was justin who said we need more dj's that get paid to dj not just a side project of a band that is on board. I agree fully on that

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:40 am 

:lol: yeah, that's me LHF, closed-minded, never try anything new, you nailed it :lol: is everyone whose opinion differs from yours ignorant, or is that a term of endearment just for me? I'm touched.

I have tried so so many of these 'disco/DJ' bands y'all have recommended over the years. I don't know the correct labels for much of any of this, excuse me if 'wompwomp' is an incorrect genre. I just haven't liked them. I can't think of one piece of music I have heard that I really liked by someone whose (band)name started with "DJ" except for DJ Williams :D I love Lotus, and Big Gigantic, and I probably wouldn't have heard/found either of them if not for Jam Cruise and this forum. And I TOTALLY AGREE we need more balance. Get more/better talent FOR THE DISCO. Please don't take over the ship and start pumping it everywhere else - like they have already started to do in the last couple of years with Solar/Wind stage sets of that stuff. C'mon man, you get five nights of hours and hours of official late night DJs!! I get an unofficial Spot of acoustic jams, if/when/where Nathan & Co can be found. I've never seen more than two bluegrass/folk-type bands on the ship in a given year, I would be so happy if I could just get a daily dose at this point. One reggae band. One 'world' band if we're lucky. One bluegrass band this year. Five nights of DJs..... not a balance IMHO. And before you get all huffy I'm not saying take away the disco - balance! - don't take over the rest of the cruise!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:32 am 

im all for setting up a nice acoustic jam spot in one of the lounges. i probably wouldnt spend much time there, but obviously people are into that late night. bear in mind, those are musicians who play that kind of stuff for a living. in the same way that you want them to get more prodcution and support for what they do, 5 nights of DJs who are not primarily DJs in the crappiest venue on the boat was kind of a bummer for me. especially considering jamcruise started as a very diverse mix of all kinds of jam and dance music. we are definitely beating a dead horse on this one though. they have every ability to bring serious DJs on board if they want to, especially with the holy ship connections. more likely it will remain an afterthought for the most part.

that said, after a solid 5 years of requests, they did get thievery corp and rob garza on the boat this year. maybe by 2020 we will get an aeroplane reunion. :WALL:

ps - part of the magic of those acoustic jams, just like the original jamrooms, was the spontaneous, unplanned nature of it. if you scheduled a late night acoustic jam room, it might lose some of it's magic too. unfortunately Djs dont have the same ability to set up anywhere so we are relegated to whatever cloud9 feels like giving us... and loud ass boomboxes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:33 pm 

bring DR. LONNIE SMITH!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:07 pm 

col4bin wrote:
if you scheduled a late night acoustic jam room, it might lose some of it's magic too.

They already have, and it's great. It's just not on a stage. There were 4 artists on board this year who's laminates said The Spot. My guess is that the reason Nathan was able to bring so many people with him this year was to make sure that 'acoustic Jam room' went off every night.
I think it's okay to bring DJs out of the disco here and there. The tweener sets on the wind stage are actually the perfect time since there isn't so much sound check overlap happening during the pool deck sets.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:12 pm 

The more I reflect on the Solar Stage from JC12 the more I liked that Venue. I would like to see on the days at sea one set from a "newly formed" band from the boat to play that stage or kind of an outside Jam Room for a tweener set.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:25 pm 

serk wrote:
:lol: yeah, that's me LHF, closed-minded, never try anything new, you nailed it :lol: is everyone whose opinion differs from yours ignorant, or is that a term of endearment just for me? I'm touched.

I have tried so so many of these 'disco/DJ' bands y'all have recommended over the years. I don't know the correct labels for much of any of this, excuse me if 'wompwomp' is an incorrect genre. I just haven't liked them. I can't think of one piece of music I have heard that I really liked by someone whose (band)name started with "DJ" except for DJ Williams :D I love Lotus, and Big Gigantic, and I probably wouldn't have heard/found either of them if not for Jam Cruise and this forum. And I TOTALLY AGREE we need more balance. Get more/better talent FOR THE DISCO. Please don't take over the ship and start pumping it everywhere else - like they have already started to do in the last couple of years with Solar/Wind stage sets of that stuff. C'mon man, you get five nights of hours and hours of official late night DJs!! I get an unofficial Spot of acoustic jams, if/when/where Nathan & Co can be found. I've never seen more than two bluegrass/folk-type bands on the ship in a given year, I would be so happy if I could just get a daily dose at this point. One reggae band. One 'world' band if we're lucky. One bluegrass band this year. Five nights of DJs..... not a balance IMHO. And before you get all huffy I'm not saying take away the disco - balance! - don't take over the rest of the cruise!

:|

Last edited by longhairedfreak007 on Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:34 am 

longhairedfreak007 wrote:
serk wrote:

I have tried so so many of these 'disco/DJ' bands y'all have recommended over the years. I don't know the correct labels for much of any of this, excuse me if 'wompwomp' is an incorrect genre. I just haven't liked them. [snip]

Ignorance is condemning an artist and a genre and saying they don't belong and you haven't heard one second of their music.Sorry Sharon but you're sounding a lot like our boy shack. you keep saying that this kind of music "doesn't belong" on the solar stage or anywhere but the disco. you be wrong Sharon, you be wrong.[snip]

Whatever Justin, all I see here is someone ranting that I'm a liar, insulting me, and telling me I'm not allowed to have an opinion (it's wrong!!!!). I have wasted FAR more time than I care to think about trying suggestions that you and others have posted here. I've tried and tried and tried and 99% of it sucks - IN MY OPINION. My opinion that Jam Cruise should be BALANCED is obviously different than yours, that doesn't make it wrong. I never said it doesn't belong anywhere else. I said there should be BALANCE. You want more tron or whatever label you want to use on 'that stuff my closed mind would NEVER try listening to :roll: ' outside the disco. If you're going to categorize BigG and Thievery and stuff as this genre as well than you HAVE a shitload of this outside the disco already - which I don't argue with being there at all! But I still want more and longer bluegrass/reggae/world/rock/jam sets. Wouldn't it be nice if they could do both? All I said is keep it balanced. Don't take over the ship. Don't increase the % of music in that genre without increasing the % of sets of other genres on board. We only got one bluegrass band this year instead of the whopping two per year we've had in the past. Stuff I really like we're getting less and less of and I don't want to see it go away completely. If you don't agree that's fine but it doesn't make my opinion wrong and it doesn't give you the right to insult me and call me a liar.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:44 pm 

serk wrote:
longhairedfreak007 wrote:
serk wrote:

I have tried so so many of these 'disco/DJ' bands y'all have recommended over the years. I don't know the correct labels for much of any of this, excuse me if 'wompwomp' is an incorrect genre. I just haven't liked them. [snip]

Ignorance is condemning an artist and a genre and saying they don't belong and you haven't heard one second of their music.Sorry Sharon but you're sounding a lot like our boy shack. you keep saying that this kind of music "doesn't belong" on the solar stage or anywhere but the disco. you be wrong Sharon, you be wrong.[snip]

Whatever Justin, all I see here is someone ranting that I'm a liar, insulting me, and telling me I'm not allowed to have an opinion (it's wrong!!!!). I have wasted FAR more time than I care to think about trying suggestions that you and others have posted here. I've tried and tried and tried and 99% of it sucks - IN MY OPINION. My opinion that Jam Cruise should be BALANCED is obviously different than yours, that doesn't make it wrong. I never said it doesn't belong anywhere else. I said there should be BALANCE. You want more tron or whatever label you want to use on 'that stuff my closed mind would NEVER try listening to :roll: ' outside the disco. If you're going to categorize BigG and Thievery and stuff as this genre as well than you HAVE a shitload of this outside the disco already - which I don't argue with being there at all! But I still want more and longer bluegrass/reggae/world/rock/jam sets. Wouldn't it be nice if they could do both? All I said is keep it balanced. Don't take over the ship. Don't increase the % of music in that genre without increasing the % of sets of other genres on board. We only got one bluegrass band this year instead of the whopping two per year we've had in the past. Stuff I really like we're getting less and less of and I don't want to see it go away completely. If you don't agree that's fine but it doesn't make my opinion wrong and it doesn't give you the right to insult me and call me a liar.

Alright Sharon you're right but I still have no idea where i called you a liar,you're putting words in my mouth. :|

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:55 am 

I agree fully with serk about the slacking off on the string bands this year. I'm thinking that we might have to make a little noise if they don't get on it next year( :idea: bring YONDER back). Rob Garza's DJ set was pretty popular at the solar stage might have been the most people getting down that the solar stage had seen at night. There is room for it all and i really don't believe that C9 will ever get too far away from the format of bands that they are having and they shouldn't. I like serk suggests it would be really nice to get those 2-3 hour sets back. The bands should get the time to jam it and not have to cram it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:55 am 

collins wrote:
[snip] it would be really nice to get those 2-3 hour sets back. The bands should get the time to jam it and not have to cram it.

AMEN!!! Did I ever post this here? Quick analysis of the last few years:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:30 am 

not one of ya agree or even like the idea to BRING DR. LONNIE SMITH,,,,,,dats sad! he's a LEGEND, he's the man!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:55 pm 

LIRR wrote:
not one of ya agree or even like the idea to BRING DR. LONNIE SMITH,,,,,,dats sad! he's a LEGEND, he's the man!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next