The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lineup - whaddayathink?
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:45 pm 

Looking at it with mixed feelings. I like traditional jazz and kletzmer too, so it will be a fun treat for me, even though I doubt that it will be the main attraction for most people. But looking at the big picture, doesn't this lineup seem a little weak? Did I just get too spoiled with amazing lineups the last couple of years so now when it's back to normal it seems like it's lacking? One good thing is that there is no tender ports and no private islands. I definitely prefer "real ports" (ok, Costa Maya is maybe not the most interesting place in the world, but it sure as hell beats some tourist trap private island you have to tender to).
Hmm. JC with all the expenses like hotels, flight, bar bills and stuff usually runs somewhere like $5-6k for a couple of two. A lineup of same-old and a few new (albeit a little odd) treats. What should one do. What are the rest of you thinking. Warm and fuzzy or meh...?

Post subject: Re: Lineup - whaddayathink?
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:56 pm 

I'm freakin pumped. I never expected Pretty Lights but was really hoping it would happen. I love Umphrey's. The Word seems incredible. Can't wait. Hopefully they'll throw in another bluegrass band or two and I'm ready to sail.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:05 pm 

Compared to the last several years, I'm not too impressed, but it will still be a fabulous time regardless & I'm not going to be able to afford to go anyhow.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:22 pm 

I was on the fence but now definitely off. Jamcruise always a great time but quite frankly, I think I will have to spend my money elsewhere.

I see a few eclectic bands that are ok fillers but nothing to want me to pony up some serious change.

A tribute to Jerry Garcia sounds great but not the real deal relative to the mother load and it appears the music is moving further away from my jam bands and bluegrass

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:26 pm 

While I'm very excited to have the Word as well as Pretty Lights with the band, there are many new additions that are weak and many repeat people that aren't on the boat. To me, the Revivalists are great the first time you see them and then get old the second time. Don't understand why both them and Motet were brought back so soon. Not the biggest fan of Sister Sparrow and Dirty Birds...she's great as a guest, but her own act doesn't do it for me. Where is the reggae? Would prefer Joe Russo's Almost Dead as the dead tribute.

Where is ALO, Anders...why hasn't Marco been on in awhile? I was 100% planning to go and now to be honest am not so certain.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:05 pm 

Extremely warm 8) and fuzzy :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:41 pm 

I think it needs one more big name and a few smaller adds, but not too bad. :DANCE:

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:12 am 

I agree with Tai. One more big name and few smaller bands. I am interested in some of the smaller bands this year but none of them blow me away. I an happy to finally get to see Snarky Puppy. Elephant Revival can be a little too mellow sometimes so I hope they have some upbeat sets or at least play on day one & two. They would kill me day 5 :lol:

Overall it is still Jam Cruise and Magic always happens.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:24 am 

Here's one that would do it for me and would probably be easy to get on board: Big Tony and Trouble Funk...

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:51 am 

I love the lineup. Less jam grass is a good thing to me. Bring it!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:11 am 

It's funny how most people do sort of want more variety in the line-ups but at the same time everybody has their own few "must be on every year" artists and complaints arise if they're not part of the announcement. I get the point, this is not meant as a criticism, but if C9 tries to satisfy each of those requests there will never be room for fresh faces on the ship. I wouldn't mind there being even more turnover in artists from one year to the next.

I personally love the additions of the Preservation Hall Jazz Band and the NOLA Klezmer Allstars. Snarky Puppy will be awesome, and be happy to have Ike Stubblefield on board. There are also a bunch of "meh" bands, but I will refrain from stepping on anybody's toes by mentioning them.

Bob Marley

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:38 pm 

not ideal for me but pretty solid....

Pretty Lights will hopefully prove worthy of that top spot.... I was expecting/hoping to get a taste of the new New Deal on the boat......

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:32 pm 

The ones I'm stoked about I'm stoked about, the meh ones are meh... First reaction was definitely, YES!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:52 pm 

This looks like an outstanding lineup. I'll take Pretty Lights over Les Claypool any day of the week. Umphrey's gets better and better every year. Revivalists, awesome, just saw them at Brooklyn Bowl, so third time around? Definitely. The Motet again? Terrific. G. Love is an excellent choice - will take them over a reggae band for sure. Galactic, Lettuce, Kung Fu, some Jerry tunes. Looks like a fun time all around. And some klezmer? I'm giddy...

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:32 am 

Sadly we're going to have to take a break this year. In honesty it's not only because of the lineup, it's getting tight with the $$$ as well.
If you're a first timer wondering, you should be aware that there is a "Jamcruise factor" that will make any lineup at least double as good as it would have been on land. It's a complete experience not to be missed if you can swing it!
Have a great cruise, jamily!