The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: JamCruise Virgin needs help from friendly jamsters
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:35 am 

Hi everyone...so happy this forum is here because I will have a ton of questions. We are a small (but mighty) group from the Turks and Caicos islands. Jazzfest was our 'gateway drug' to JamCruise. We are all Jazzfest veterans but all first timers in the cruise. We are booking on Friday. Questions:

1. Can we smoke on our balcony room?

2. We will be booking Cat8 rooms and want to be close to the Jam Room so we can stumble home...can you suggest an area?

3. I read that there are usually pre/post cruise shows around Miami...should we fly in a few days before and stay a few days after?

A thousand thank-YOU's for your assistance and kindness. Have an epic day!

Post subject: Re: JamCruise Virgin needs help from friendly jamsters
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:28 am 

Free to funk wrote:
Hi everyone...so happy this forum is here because I will have a ton of questions. We are a small (but mighty) group from the Turks and Caicos islands. Jazzfest was our 'gateway drug' to JamCruise. We are all Jazzfest veterans but all first timers in the cruise. We are booking on Friday. Questions:

1. Can we smoke on our balcony room? officially no, you could be charged $, but if you are respectful and don't ash, and leave burns you will be fine.

2. We will be booking Cat8 rooms and want to be close to the Jam Room so we can stumble home...can you suggest an area? any room is great, as you are on jamcruise.

3. I read that there are usually pre/post cruise shows around Miami...should we fly in a few days before and stay a few days after? weather or not you go to pre/post shows it is ALWAYS a good idea to get in a cpl of days early and stay a cpl of days after,,as your JAMILY grows, you'll want to come early to spend time w/ them and its hard to come straight back to the "real world" after the boat, so we chill a few days after

1-officially no, you could be charged $, but if you are respectful and don't ash, and leave burns you will be fine.

2-any room is great, as you are on jamcruise.

3-weather or not you go to pre/post shows it is ALWAYS a good idea to get in a cpl of days early and stay a cpl of days after,,as your JAMILY grows, you'll want to come early to spend time w/ them and its hard to come straight back to the "real world" after the boat, so we chill a few days after

welcome to the best 5days of the year,,,

Last edited by LIRR on Wed May 14, 2014 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:40 am 

Free to funk wrote:

1. Can we smoke on our balcony room?

2. We will be booking Cat8 rooms and want to be close to the Jam Room so we can stumble home...can you suggest an area?

3. I read that there are usually pre/post cruise shows around Miami...should we fly in a few days before and stay a few days after?

1. Can or May? It is 'against the rules'. People do it. Sometimes fires start.

2. Uh, not sure which ones cat8's are. Last year the Jam Room was at the back of deck 7 in the Black&White bar.

3. There are pre- and post- shows. I've been to one of them over the years. It's kind of up to you, we do fly in early, but we hang out with people instead of going to the shows. After the cruise we go directly to our hotel and drop dead for 20 hours or so. Your mileage may vary. :)

Welcome to the party. :) :CLAP: :DANCE: :DANCE:

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:55 am 

Tai pretty much wrote what I was going to write. I'd just like to add, I hope we meet in person on the ship cuz I'd love to know some locals to visit in the TCI :lol: Welcome aboard!!

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:35 pm 

Hey there and welcome to the forum and Jam Cruise! Everything others have said is 100% on point. This is all I really have to add to the equation...

1. Bring a plastic ashtray! While you may be able to sneak one off of the pool deck to use back at your room, they have a habit of being repo-ed by room staff.... Either way, bringing one is path of least resistance....

2. Unfortunately most plans for "location location location" do little justice, this ship is a maze, but the most fun maze on the planet, and I highly recommend an array of door and hallway decor to help with landmarking (even though our new captain changed the rules of the game on us last year we will still be in full force decor)....

3. Yes, stay for a couple days on both end, enjoy the daydreaming and 'imagineering' for the next year's JC. Official and Unofficial JC shows will be popping off all over South Florida, not just Miami- keep in mind that Ft. Lauderdale has some awesome music venues- Culture Room, Revolution Live, and Funky Biscuit are solid spots.....

That's my 2 cents and a little extra....

Welcome again and hope yall have a blast! :DANCE: :DANCE: :DANCE: :DANCE: :DANCE:

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:49 pm 

You guys are awesome! Thanks so much! Would love to meet some new peeps to drag back to our awesome island so shall post our details once we get 'em. Thanks for being so kind to the 'newbie'...will share your info with my group. Now it's just 'hurry up and wait' and it's killing me. Still suffering from postpartum Jazzfest depression.....ugghh!

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:54 pm 

uberdanky wrote:
... I highly recommend an array of door and hallway decor to help with landmarking (even though our new captain changed the rules of the game on us last year we will still be in full force decor)....

can you elaborate on what this means please? were there issues last year? I usually go all out on door/hall decor but just didn't have time last year so went minimal... there are rules? :lol: please advise. I want to decorate my entire hallway, and some other areas too this year! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:27 pm 

Welcome aboard!! Here are my opinions:

1. I agree fully with the BYO ashtray statement. Try to get one that is like a cup with a top. That way your ashes and butts don't go everywhere. Be very careful with fire and don't throw anything into the ocean. It will be WINDY.

2. Being near the jam room is great, but try to remember that it is at the opposite end of the boat from the theater. I prefer something closer to mid-ship. Equal walk to your room from everywhere. You never know when you are going to be in the theater and need something from your room. If you're in the back then your room is a quarter of a mile away. Mid ship is also good because it is near food, and I know I like to eat something before crashing after a long night of dancing.

3. This will be my 7th cruise and I have yet to go to a before/after party. I think it's good to rest the night before and you're definitely going to rest coming off. You want to come in early enough to account for any weather delays that you may have (although coming from Turks and heading to Miami you probably won't have snow delays). Definitely stay for as many days as you can after. You will need a vacation from this vacation.

Looking forward to meeting you! Stay active on the forum!

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:56 pm 

serk wrote:
I want to decorate my entire hallway, and some other areas too this year! :mrgreen:

oh Mindy has some great ideas,,she has been a "hallway decorator" for years now,,,,she has big plans for this year, that will go beyond just the hallway we share,,,,i can't wait to see what you guys brainstorm together in our hallway!

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:54 pm 

Sorry to be a downer, but please do NOT smoke cigarettes on the balcony. As one who is super sensitive to tobacco smoke it really does ruin it for other around you. But, there are other smokables that for some reason smell quite sweet.

Psyched for JC!

Lisa

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:31 pm 

Smoke sensitive or not it will happen so be prepared to endure it once in a while cause complaining will get you nowhere.....sorry to be a downer but its the reality of the situation

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:39 am 

As for the "Door Decor Rules".... up until last year we were able to hang stuff from the hallway ceilings, cabin doors, pretty much anywhere we could access without fully blocking or impeding others paths.... We would hang shiny shit from the ceiling for folks to make their way thru in whatever fun runway fashion they desire, however our 'Captain, my Captain' from last year d-bagged it :NAUGHTY: and changed up the ceiling rules midway thru the cruise. I get it, safety first- fun second, but I too would like a full list of the ok and not ok from MSC on how we can still have our fun with the decor and not run the risk of dropping $100 on shiny shit that ends up in the trash on day 2.... Perhaps I shall send an email to the powers that be.... :DANCE: