The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is there a Cyber Cafe onboard?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:51 am 

Making arrangements for business... does anyone know if there is an internet connection on the ship??

Mucho gracias,
Judy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:38 am 
it's on the promenade deck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:04 am 
Hey-

I asked the same question recently and here's the deal from Cassandra from Madison House Travel:

Internet Cafe The onboard Internet Cafe is located on the Promenade Deck. It is equipped with three computers; however there will be no printing capabilities or will there be ports to plug in a laptop. Any use will be charged to your on board account. The walk up rate is $.50 per minute, if you choose to pre-pay blocks of time- you may do so at the Purser's Desk. The 60 minute plan is $18.00 or $.30 per minute and the 30 minute plan is $12.00 or $.40 per minute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:57 am 
I am bringing my laptop to check email if I have the time. I have a wireless internet connection card so hopefully there is a signal and I won't have to pay for use of the internet. If anyone needs to check email or whatever i'll kindly let whomever use my stuff. I'll be the custy wearing a white baseball cap, khaki shorts and a white tee shirt. (8) :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:22 pm 
heh...don't expect to be surfing the net.

There's no cable or DSL on the ocean.

I seriously doubt there is a continous connection.

Most likely the computers allow you to just compose emails which are sent out once a day. I may be wrong and they may have a satellite connection but satellite connections are extremely slow and prone to disconnects.

I think everyones best bet is to find a place in the Bahamas and Key West where you can check your email.

-e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:25 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
I think everyones best bet is to find a place in the Bahamas and Key West where you can check your email.

i'm looking forward to getting AWAY from all of that.

no email, no cell phone. NO WAY for my office to track me down and bug me! WOO HOO!

i'm giddy already. :)
gray

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:17 pm 
grayson wrote:

no email, no cell phone. NO WAY for my office to track me down and bug me! WOO HOO!

gray

word

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:00 pm 

gray

I'll drink to that! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:07 pm 
Seems like they have a satelite link of some sort. I plan on checking my email frequnetly, since its the only way I can afford to go away. Keeping an eye on things is a small price to pay for the trip..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:14 pm 
I know for a fact that Key West has a computer on the streets free for anyone to use. It is located off of Duval Street (main drag) east of front steet. Its called something "square".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:38 pm 

Eric bo beric wrote:
Seems like they have a satelite link of some sort. I plan on checking my email frequnetly, since its the only way I can afford to go away. Keeping an eye on things is a small price to pay for the trip..

Great!! Thanks for all the responses!!!

Like Eric bo beric, we HAVE to check the email.... and our server fills up if I don't dump it every 4 days or so. Switching to a larger server soon, but not before the cruise. Plus, this way, I can change my phone message to direct people to email us in an emergency. Which hopefully no one will have, but.......

That 30 minute plan sounds like the shizznit.... or is that shizzNET....

I crack myself up.... :oops:

Post subject: For Jam Cruse Iers
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:15 pm 
If you can find a way to post updates for us Jam Cruise 2ers, I would forever be in your debt. I sure would be nice to know what to expect from the first group. :shock: