The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:09 pm 

Reggaeboyz wrote:
my regular internet name is sitdancer. that is a long story as well, but right now i don't have the time to get into that. maybe later. i registered with that name but somehow the registration did not work. i never received the mail with the activation link, but the screen name now was taken (as was my email address i used to create it).

so i had to look for an alternative. i use reggaeboyz as my team name in all fantasy sport leagues i enter(ed) as a reference to the jamaican soccer team (and of course my love for reggae music). so there you go... :D

I want to hear about 'sitdancer' Felix!!!! Did you used to dance whilst sitting??? I know that cannot be true... I've seen you dance a lot while standing :):)

Hi, my name is Ria... and I'm "BEAsexual"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:18 pm 

I have been on various boards with various handles...remember420, k-dubs and a couple of others. My first wife and I split and it was very very bad. Since we were fairly well known on a few boards as being together and people knew my handle largely because of her, I decided I needed to find a new s/n.
After the first Bonnaroo, I became a huge Soulive fan. Hence soulacious. The latter half of the name just happened to be the first thing that popped into my mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:22 pm 

My name is Derek. DC are my initials. I've been DC on varuious forums since around '97. Everyone I know calls me DC including my girlfriend. last few years a bunch of friends started calling me DCizzle...so i started using it on the FunkNJam board and now here. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:44 pm 

when i was much, much younger, the family was sitting around watching some tv together, dad was flipping thru the channels. he stopped on an animal program that was featuring llamas. i thought they were so funny looking. one of the llamas on the show ran right upto the camera and did the infamous llama spit right on the lens.

this sent my whole family in stiches. it was one of those family laughs that lasted for hours. after the laughter stopped, it would start up again just as hard as it was the time before.

i've loved llamas ever since. and imagine my surprise when i found out phish did a song entitled 'llama' it just made perfect since back then.

the 420 part is just to state that i'm an old, jaded vet. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:24 pm 

The Bier Stein is the name of our business we started over 3 years ago. Having worked in the beer industry for the last ten years, as a brewer and now a retailer, it only seemed natural.

Whats funny is, i hated beer til i was 23. Now its such a huge part of my life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:32 pm 

Leftover Salmon fan (LoS'er)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:35 pm 

jimdirect wrote:
evenstar wrote:
I am a dork and I like Tolkein. This has been my screen name/email address for 8 years now - although it has become harder now that Peter Jackson made those movies.

so wait, shouldn't your name be something like Dorkien? :wink:

or Tolork :)

Anyone that names themselves after an elf really does deserve to be called a dork.

One day, I will own a parcel of land that will be named loth lorien and I will reign supreme as queen dork.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:54 pm 

Let's see if, over the span of five years, I've learned to tell this story concisely!

In 2002 or 2003, Galactic was developing the music for the "Ruckus" CD. They didn't have song titles pinned down, so they had a little fun with the on-stage setlists, including one temporary title that referred to a particularly unaffectionate sex act.

Well, now, the Galactic e-mail list can get a little rowdy at times, mostly about sports - general male bonding trash talk. When they started getting rowdy about that song title, it pushed past my comfort zone, especially knowing that my musician son, then a young teen, was on the list. So I squawked and asked 'em to dial it back to an R-rating. A little more suggestive than clinical, eh?

You'd have thought I was the Taliban. Free speech! If you don't like it, you can leave! You're not the boss of me!

It was a very dramatic moment for me, bringing together a lot of things I care a lot about: music, my kids, and, believe it or not, free speech. I'm not at all interested in adjusting my speech for the government, but I'll gladly adjust my speech to keep a cool community rolling.

I stressed about the situation for a while. Was I a hypocrite, an old fuddy-duddy, a bad mother, a bad fan?

The issue was resolved in a way I never would have expected. A week or so later, the on-stage setlist dubbed that same tune "Give Mom a Rose"!

A version of the phrase is woven into the "Gypsy Fade" lyrics.

Cathy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:36 pm 

givemomarose wrote:
Let's see if, over the span of five years, I've learned to tell this story concisely!

In 2002 or 2003, Galactic was developing the music for the "Ruckus" CD. They didn't have song titles pinned down, so they had a little fun with the on-stage setlists, including one temporary title that referred to a particularly unaffectionate sex act.

Well, now, the Galactic e-mail list can get a little rowdy at times, mostly about sports - general male bonding trash talk. When they started getting rowdy about that song title, it pushed past my comfort zone, especially knowing that my musician son, then a young teen, was on the list. So I squawked and asked 'em to dial it back to an R-rating. A little more suggestive than clinical, eh?

You'd have thought I was the Taliban. Free speech! If you don't like it, you can leave! You're not the boss of me!

It was a very dramatic moment for me, bringing together a lot of things I care a lot about: music, my kids, and, believe it or not, free speech. I'm not at all interested in adjusting my speech for the government, but I'll gladly adjust my speech to keep a cool community rolling.

I stressed about the situation for a while. Was I a hypocrite, an old fuddy-duddy, a bad mother, a bad fan?

The issue was resolved in a way I never would have expected. A week or so later, the on-stage setlist dubbed that same tune "Give Mom a Rose"!

Cathy

Great freekin story Cathy! I'm curious though as to what was the unaffectionate sex act that the song was originally titled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:11 pm 

august dupree wrote:
givemomarose wrote:

Cathy

Great freekin story Cathy! I'm curious though as to what was the unaffectionate sex act that the song was originally titled.
me too ! me too!!!!

You can post a wiki answer if that is easier for you.... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:44 am 

Box of Rain, is my favorite song by the Grateful Dead

At the shows, I always use to call out, BOX OF RAIN, BOX OF RAIN...one day I had the pleasure of hanging with the band (except Jerry) and I had a conversation with Phil about playing that song...he said, "Well, you can just go home and listen to it on your stereo!" He complained about his voice. I laughed and told him, "It's not the same. It doesn't matter how you sing it, JUST SING IT!" And you know the rest of the story!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:35 am 

LIRR wrote:
Being from Long Island, the mass transit system is called the Long Island Railroad or as it appears on the train cars LIRR. My name is Ritchie and some of you older kats will remember a cartoon, Richie Rich well after moving to Boulder a friend would call me Long Island Ritchie Rich hence LIRR

Which station were you? I was Rockville Centre station

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:17 pm 

What a GREAT thread!!! I have been away from the forum for a week or so and this is such a delight to return too!

MissAslan because I am a girl! Aslan because my name is Aslan (as most of you have already figured out) my mom named me after Aslan, the "Great Lion," the central character in The Chronicles of Narnia.

I have used MissAslan for everything since 1998..if you can beleive it (I sure didn't back then) Aslan was already taken for everything!!!

Aslan is pronounced many ways around the globe but here in the states AZ-lan, or AZLAN, all one sylable. But, if you're in a hurry in saying it, it mostly comes out AZ-lin.

I think most of us would find it uncomfortable to pronounce it as C.S. Lewis did..all of these phonetics would be going against our accents:
Lewis himself claimed Ass-lan was the proper pronunciation..many others will call me As-lan, Az-lan, Ass-lan, As-lahn, Az-lahn, Ass-lahn, Auzlaun..on and on..

Here is my point.. I was teased horribly as a kid and called ASS-lan.. but my family called me Az..so that is my nickname to this day and I like to emphasis the AZ rather than the ASS. I have a big enough rear end and I don't need to be reminded!!

Smiles!
Az

PS. to hear it go here: http://home.comcast.net/~s.sendlein/aslan.wav

PPS. Funny name for a half Jewish gal from Pacific Palisades, CA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:35 pm 

MissAslan wrote:
PPS. Funny name for a half Jewish gal from Pacific Palisades, CA

Which half Az?

(more of a thread bump than a question)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:06 pm 

On March 12, 2005 I wandered into the Jamcruise tent at Langerado. They were giving away some gifts for booking a cabin. You could cancel later and still keep the gifts. I was pretty full of suds, so I slapped down my visa card and booked. When I got back home to Rochester, I hit the website to figure out how to cancel. I was listening to the Keller show from Langerado at the moment. Not a whole lot of thought went into my user name, it was rather meaningless and spontaneous. I put "by the speaker" for my location. Well, I did a little lurking on this forum for a while and my interest increased. JC7 will be my 4th JC. I guess the gifts at the tent paid for themselves.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next