The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Where Skate Came From...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:56 pm 

The Origin of "Skate"

So when I was a freshman at Penn State I was a total skate punk and rode my skateboard all over campus, including thru buildings and into class.

It was the beginning of the semester and I came cruising into class, did a kick-push on the board to pop it up from under my feet, caught the board in mid-air, and plopped down into the nearest desk all at the same time. Well, one of the other guys in my class leaned over to the guy next to him and said "Look at this skate punk." And they got to referring to me as "Skate" in the class as they didn't know me at all.

Well it turned out that as big as Penn State is, we still ended up having a couple more classes together over the next year. Eventually I pledged a fraternity, incidentally, the same house as the guy who originally made the "skate" comment. He introduced me around the house as "Skate". Since no one got my real name, they all referred to me as "Skate", and since I was still cruising around on my skateboard, I guess it made perfect sense.

Since "Skate" had become my official fraternity nick-name, and since I was still cruising around on a skateboard, I just started introducing myself to anyone I met as "Skate". In fact, I would guess that 95% of the people I know don't know me by anything but "Skate".

After Penn State, I moved down to Atlanta, where there were actually a bunch of Penn Staters, and of course the nickname continued. By this time I had broken enough skateboards (and wrists) that I had given up the sport, but kept the nickname.

After a couple more years of going by nothing but "Skate", I decided I might as well make it legal and thus had my middle name changed to Skate. And now "Skate" is on my Drivers License, my Passport, the title to my condo, and pretty much everything else...

- Skate -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:39 am 

jimdirect wrote:
LIRR wrote:
Being from Long Island, the mass transit system is called the Long Island Railroad or as it appears on the train cars LIRR. My name is Ritchie and some of you older kats will remember a cartoon, Richie Rich well after moving to Boulder a friend would call me Long Island Ritchie Rich hence LIRR

Which station were you? I was Rockville Centre station

huntington

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:19 am 

As basic as it gets - 1st name, last initial. Or was that pretty obvious?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:31 pm 

the music of the good ole grateful dead was my introduction into this scene.

i have often sped through life not appreciating my encounters and every day rituals. i have to constantly remind myself to be grateful for each and every day. it has allowed be to slow down, enjoy and have a greater sense for everything that surrounds me. life is good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:03 pm 

Great Thread, I really feel like I know ya'll much better, freeker, I knew it was keller inspired, your story brought a tear to my eye all things happen for a reason!
my name is natalie nicole king and that's by marriage, ever since i added the king to my natalie nicole, I hear bot Natalie cole and nat king cole references all the time needed an online name and it just came together natkingcole

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:29 am 

bump... cause there are lots of people who haven't given us the scoop yet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:32 pm 

Mine is short for the Garaj Mahal song Cosmic Elevator. I', not much of a typer, so I tru to take advantage of minimize keystrokes, lol.

A freak among freaks ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:57 pm 

acacia = my fraternity @
psu = Penn State University

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:33 pm 

Enjoyed reading all of these. I liked Skate's especially. Got me thinking along the lines of other nicknames people go by. I explained my forum name earlier. Here are the other names that will turn my head when they are called out. Feel free to call me any of them. And anything else you want for that matter. :D

Flem-
Originally it started in pee-wee football. We had our last names masking taped on our helmets. Part of mine fell off. What was left was flem. I don't think the coach or anyone on the team for that matter ever figured out that my last name wasn't Flem. :D Not that it mattered, as by the time I reched high school I was Flem to everyone (based on the last name, not the football nick name). Natural fit I suppose.

Willy Wonka-
Went by that name on east coast festie tour for a while. As for why, ask me on JC7. I'll buy ya a beer and tell ya about it.

Lucky- The song by Alison Krauss called "The Lucky One", was written about me. Of course I don't think she knows it. :wink: :lol: The explanation is in the lyrics. Anyhow, when I got into online gaming back in 04, Lucky was a natural fit for my username. While I don't game online much these days, I'm still a part of an online community that gathers for an annual 'Outing' every year. It's next weekend actually. Anyhow, to that set of friends, and to quite a few around the NOVA area, I'm Lucky.

Hope I didn't bore you all,
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:44 pm 

shockandawe comes from the second night of Coventry when I was a little jacked up, for obvious reasons, and I was yelling about the BS in Iraq at the time. The name also described the over the top partying we were doing that night. Anyway, the name stuck and is usually followed by the word "bitches!"

BTW, this is my first post, as well as first cruise! Rooming next door to Phrazz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:26 pm 

hhhhhhhmmm. well see back in the mid-late 90's there was a gaggle of online phish heads that would meet up at shows and festivals and stay together. it had been sorta haphazard, but enter moi, the virgo planner list-maker type. so i'd start reserving 2-4 rooms at a time at motels near the venues and also finding local brew pubs and places for a pre show gathering. i was pretty good at it......and so i morphed from kat to katmama.......prolly cuz organizing all our friends into one place pre show was like herding cats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:21 am 

acaciapsu wrote:
acacia = my fraternity @
psu = Penn State University

I get a mental headache just trying to pronounce it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:24 am 

katmama wrote:
hhhhhhhmmm. well see back in the mid-late 90's there was a gaggle of online phish heads that would meet up at shows and festivals and stay together. it had been sorta haphazard, but enter moi, the virgo planner list-maker type. so i'd start reserving 2-4 rooms at a time at motels near the venues and also finding local brew pubs and places for a pre show gathering. i was pretty good at it......and so i morphed from kat to katmama.......prolly cuz organizing all our friends into one place pre show was like herding cats.

Herding cats. Love it! That's how i describe my job in real life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:45 am 

jimdirect wrote:

Herding cats. Love it! That's how i describe my job in real life.

for your viewing pleasure...cowboys herding cats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk7yqlTMvp8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:48 am 

My parents named me Linda which was a little odd for 1977, I've only met one person with the same name that is my age. The Lovely got added back in undergraduate. At parties we befriended this crazy kid named Trollman, whenever he'd see me he'd give me a big hug and say Luuuuv-ly Liiiiiin-da, in a slow drawn out stoner-esque way. I thought it was sweet and Jodie (see G-Lots t-shirt) started calling me that from time to time.

So the reason I started calling myself lovelylinda (I do try to be lovely, but noone's perfect), was to distract people from informing me they had an Aunt named Linda when I meet someone new. I am pretty sure about 80% of folks I've met have an aunt or mom named Linda and the first thing they want to do upon meeting me is to tell me. I already know everyone has an aunt linda so introducing myself as LovelyLinda distracts them for a moment. They may think I'm self-absorbed or vain but I don't care, as long as they don't bring up their aunt! Last weekend at Dunegrass up in Michigan, I met a nice woman named Lisa who was about 10 years older than I am, as soon as she heard I was Linda....never fails....she has an Aunt Linda. I just said "I know" and immediately thought about this thread.

And as far as Trollman, Jodie saw him walking on the stage getting his bachelors degree a few years after we had finished graduate school! He was never in a hurry.

So who has an Aunt Linda? :cry:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next