The Jam Cruise Forum

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Jam Cruise FAQ
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:12 pm 

NEW! Deckplans and info of the new ship MSC Divina at the bottom
======================================================

PLEASE NOTE: Cloud 9 travel has taken a great deal of time and effort for their website!
All the Official Information you need is up on their site and so, this FAQ is meant as a supplement from a cruisers perspective.
Questions about administrative details are answered for you at the JC website under the menu item TRAVEL DEPT

Disclaimer! This is a compilation of popular questions from previous Jam Cruise sailings. This is just some advice based on previous sailing experiences.
This advice is meant to help you make the most out of your cruise and none of this information is sanctioned or approved by Cloud 9 or MSC…
it is just opinions and if any information is incorrect I/we are sorry since every year is potentially different. Hopefully this info helps!

Credits:
Original FAQ made by MissAslan, latest version edited July 8, 2010.
Last edited by Odman: Oct 4, 2013.

What time should I plan to arrive in Ft. Lauderdale?
To make the most of the cruise, come in early in the morning if not the day before! But don’t party to hard the night before
the cruise, you will want to save you energy and feel good when we set sail!

When should I fly home?
The day after the cruise if at all possible!

Is Web Check in worth it?
It doesn't make check-in any quicker but is recommended anyway just so the correct info is in the system.
Web Checkin

When is normally the lineup, dates and ports announced?
JC12 announced Wed May 01, 2013 5:14 pm EDT
JC11 announced Tue May 01, 2012 at 12:49 pm EDT
JC10 announced Tue May 03, 2011 at 12:34 pm EDT
JC9 announced Mon May 03, 2010 at 12:00 pm EDT
JC8 announced Fri May 01, 2009 at 3:02 pm EDT
JC7 announced Tue May 06, 2008 at 12:00 pm EDT
JC6 announced Tue May 08, 2007 at 4:17 pm EDT
JC5 announced Mon May 08, 2006 at 5:07 pm EDT

When should we expect to see the show schedule?
Can I see a copy of past Jam Cruise schedules?

JC11 posted Tue Nov 20, 2012
JC10 posted Tue Nov 08, 2011
JC9 posted Wed Nov 03, 2010 LINK BROKEN! sysadm contacted 10/4/2013
JC8 posted Tue Nov 03, 2009 LINK BROKEN! sysadm contacted 10/4/2013
JC7 posted Thu Nov 06, 2008
JC6 posted Thu Nov 15, 2007

When are theme nights announced and how many?
There are 2-3 official theme nights and they are normally announced in the August-September time frame.
There are also unofficial theme nights that have become very popular.
Thanks to Queenbee and Serk for this information about previous official themes:
JC12: 9/4/12 Purple Power and ...???
JC11: 9/5/12 Blue Boogaloo, Cirque du Funk, and Spinal Tap/Headbanger's ball
JC10: 8/24/11 Jam Cruise Yacht Club and 10/4/11 Mothership Masquerade, Go Green
JC9: 8/24/10 Welcome to the Jungle and 9/21/10 Future Jam
JC8: 8/26/09 Superheroes & Villains and 9/16/09 Funk'n Formal night
JC7: 9/18/08 The Stars Come Out at Night, Life on Bourbon Street in the Big Easy
JC6: 8/23/07 Costume Party, (Masquerade Ball, later replaced) and 11/15/07 80's night (replaced Masquerade Ball)
JC5: 10/24/06 70's night, Pirates of the Caribbean
JC4: 10/24/05 Lu-au, Chinese New Year, Pajama Party

Do I have to dress up for theme nights?
No. You don't have to dress up for anything, not for formal dinners, and not for fun. A lot of people do, and it
definitely adds to the atmosphere. The flashier, blinkier, sparklier and glittery, the better. But you don't have
to do anything. We all have fun our own way and we all respect each other for whatever we choose to do or
not do. If you feel like making your own costumes, check out the link for Costume Resources Thread in the link
list section further down in this FAQ.

It's called "Jam" cruise. Can I Jam with the musicians?
It's called Jam Cruise because we listen to professional musicians jamming with each other, and to jam bands
of all sorts. While it has happened on rare occasions, don't expect that you get to play with the professional
musicians. Amateurs are not allowed to play in the jam room. What happens there is instead that you get to
listen to new constellations of musicians that may or may not have ever played together before. The result is
many times both unexpected and absolutely awesome. Sometimes new projects have been created this way.
What does happen though, is that spontaneous passenger jams break out on decks or other quiet areas when
nothing else is going on. If you play something and like to jam, by all means bring it!

Tell me more about the musicians. Do I get to hang with them?
Thanks to Serk for these insights:
They do all have regular cabins interspersed with the rest of us mere mortals. BUT some artists like to hang with
the fans more than others. It's really up to them if they want to hang with us (or play in the Jam Room too!),
they DO have their own VIP/artist lounge area if they want to avoid most contact but they really can't avoid
eating and going up and down elevators from their cabins to the food areas and stages.
Also, there are usually one or two artists that only stay on for half the trip (getting on or off the ship at one of our
port stops). There will be two autograph signing sessions, on each of the two days at sea - and each session will
have half of the artists set up for signing stuff. So if you MUST see a particular artist be sure to go to the autograph
session that they will be in! And be prepared to wait in the longest lines you will ever find on the ship to say "hi"
to a sorta-foggy-just-waking-up musician but it is worth it :lol:. And don't forget to bring your camera to the
autograph sessions!
Most (all?) don't mind posing for a quick pic with you too read more answers at this thread :smile:: Interactions with the Musicians

What are the dimensions of the door for decorating?
Note that MSC Divina is new to all of us so nobody really knows yet. Previous ships had the door dimensions 26"w x 78"h.
Magnets will not stick on the door but they do work on the door frame. If you use tape, use masking type or something
that won't leave any residue. It's a new ship. If you mess it up they will make you pay for it. Cruise ships are expensive! :wink:

Are laundry services available onboard the ship?
Yes, laundry services are available onboard for a fee. MSC says the fee is “nominal” but that depends on how badly you
want your clothes cleaned!

What kind of electricity outlets are onboard and in my room?
Twin flat USA Standard pins

May I use my laptop with a Wi-Fi connection?
Yes, Prices vary from USD21 for 30 minutes, to USD42 for 1 hour and USD65 for 120 minutes.

Is there a safe in the room?
Yes! And if you lock yourself out of your safe, they will open it for you.

What if I loose my room key or leave it in my room?
Go to the lobby and they will issue you a new room key. Since the room key must be in the light switch to keep your
lights on in the room..it happens to the best of us! Leave the key in the light switch, it will no longer work in the door
but it will keep the lights on. A little trick with the light switch: You can put any credit card shaped object in the light switch!

How big are the cabins?
Go to MSC's page for Divina and select STATEROOMS & SUITES

What's the deal with passenger name changes and or additions?
Terms & Conditions

Can I make name changes, passenger additions or resell my cabin to another person at port?
Not anymore. It caused havoc for boarding and delayed the ship from setting sail on time, so starting on Jam Cruise 8 they
did away with at port changes and all on board greatly benefited!!
If you are concerned about this new rule consider buying insurance..you can buy insurance even after you have booked.

Incidentals
Beer $5, mixed drinks $7, excursions $55 and up.
If you drink, expect to spend anything between $200 and $500 per person.

Tipping
Gratuity is already added to your bill. It could be a good idea to grease your cabin server so you get your ice bucket filled
and you breakfast delivered (if you're to lazy to go up to deck 14!). I gave my guy a $20 first day. Room service wasn't
as good on JC9 as it used to be. The bartenders vary a lot in how well they serve you. If you find a good one, grease well
and make sure he/she remembers you. $5 on the side can be a great remedy for watered down drinks!

BYOB or other stuff?
C9's policy is very clear. Do not bring on board alcohol or illegal substances.
It's no point in asking anything about this on the forum - nobody will answer.
This is a public forum, owned and maintained by C9. C9 can read it. Authorities
can read it.
What you should know is that customs makes a very thorough inspection when you board
the ship, with dogs and whatever else they may have. We will also be inspected
on board at sea before we dock on the way back.
If you have legit prescription medication you must bring it in its original prescription
bottle. This one is particularly important. It has happened that people have been
stopped from boarding because their medication was not in its proper containers.
Even if you win in court, you miss Jamcruise, and that would be bad. :(

Food
Again with MSC Divina being new to us we don't really know.
Historically there have been pizzas and snacks night time at a restaurant on pool deck.
Breakfast buffet started at the same place 6 am and went on to noon.
You could also eat sit-down breakfast at two restaurants on deck 5 and 6 aft.
12pm – 3pm Lunch Buffet in the "pool deck restaurant" (whatever that turns out to be)
Sit down dinners included in the price were served starting at 6pm, also on deck 5 and 6 aft.
There are probably also fancy restaurants you have to book and pay for.
As far as quality of the food goes, it has improved over the years. As you may expect, the least fancy is the buffet
food at the pool deck restaurant. You can find some gems there though. The sit-down dinners are mostly ok, but
be prepared for the service to be extremely slow and the staff being more confused than a goat on astroturf. If
you want to have fun you can ask them to substitute something, bring steak sauce or ask what's in the soup.
You will miss the evening shows but you will have a great story to tell!
The author of this has no personal experience with the upgrade dinners you pay for, so feedback would be welcome.
Was it worth it? Is it hard to get a table? Price? Note! Don't expect this section to be updated until after JC12.

I love trivia and statistics. Give me some!
Thanks to phorevergr8ful for this History of JC Dates/Days sailed/duration/ports/Cruiseline-Ship
JC1 - Jan. 6-10, 2004 /Tues-Sat/4 days/Ft. Lauderdale, FL-Nassau, Bahamas-Key West, FL/Imperial Majesty-Regal Empress
JC2 - Jan. 10-14, 2004/Sat-Wed/4 days/Ft. Lauderdale, FL-Nassau, Bahamas-Key West, FL/Imperial Majesty-Regal Empress
JC3 - Jan. 6-10, 2005 /Thurs-Mon/4 days/Jacksonville, FL-Freeport, Bahamas/Carnival-Celebration
JC4 - Jan. 7-13, 2006/Sat-Fri/6 days/Ft. Lauderdale, FL-Ocho Rios, Jamaica-Grand Cayman Islands-Costa Maya, Mexico/MSC-Lirica
JC5 - Jan. 2-7, 2007/Tues-Sun/5 days/Ft. Lauderdale, FL-Turks & Caicos-Cayo Levantado, Dominican Republic/MSC-Opera
JC6 - Jan. 4-9, 2008/Fri-Wed/5 days/Ft. Lauderdale, FL-Roatan, Honduras-Cozumel, Mexico/MSC-Lirica
JC7 - Jan. 4-9, 2009/Sun-Fri/5 days/Ft. Lauderdale, FL-Belize City, Belize-Costa Maya, Mexico/MSC-Orchestra
JC8 - Jan. 3-8, 2010/Sun-Fri/5 days/Ft. Lauderdale, FL-Ocho Rios, Jamaica-Georgetown, Cayman Islands/MSC-Poesia
JC9 - Jan. 4-9, 2011/Tues-Sun/5 days/Ft. Lauderdale, FL-Roatan, Honduras-Costa Maya, Mexico/MSC-Poesia
JC10 - Jan. 9-14, 2012/Mon-Sat/5 days/Ft. Lauderdale, FL-Labadee, Haiti-Falmouth, Jamaica/MSC-Poesia
JC11 - Jan. 7-12, 2013/Mon-Sat/5 days/Ft. Lauderdale, Grand Turk, Turks & Caicos - Coco Cay, Bahamas (private island)/MSC-Poesia
JC12 - Jan. 4-9, 2014/Sat-Thu/5 days/Miami - Falmouth, Jamaica - Half Moon Cay, Bahamas (private island)/MSC-Divina

» What are the unofficial Theme Nights? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . JC12 color is purple!
» Kickball . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Sleepers vs. Ragers on private island? Rager Hillary has started discussion
» Post 5 interetsing facts about yourself
» OK, So where did your forum name come from?
» What was the first concert you ever saw
» Jam Cruisers on South Park! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . The reason so many forum members have South Park style avatars
» 500 Party . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Once you get there you know you want to brag about it!
» All I really needed to learn, I learned on jamcruise
» My Chcklist for Jamcruise
» The "Ok, what am I forgetting" thread
» great/fun/cheap websites for costuming & toys
» http://www.jambase.com/articles/story.a ... ryID=21160
» http://jambandsonline.com/2010/01/jam-c ... then-some/
» http://icecreamman.com/2009/01/jam-cruise-7-review/
» JC Dictionary . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Ever had jamnesia?
» JamCruise Motivational Posters . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Probably the most creative thread. Cool poster designs
» Costume Resources Thread . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Where to buy fabric and stuff
» Words of Wisdom
» Apology if Offended *Renamed: Caption Me* . . . . . . . . . . Gets funnier towards the end
» The cruiser below me . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Longest running time waster ever!
» Roast The Previous Poster! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A forgotten gem. Heckle and be heckled!
» Things Jamcruise Makes You Do....... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Blame your obsessions on Jam Cruise
» This one time.... On Jam Cruise.... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Do you really believe that KD stuck his finger in evenstar's cherry?
» Completely useless thread
» The no topic thread
» Jam Cruise Haiku . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Feeling Japanese?
» Boobs!!! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Ever felt the need to yell "Boobs!"? You can here.
» The Official Jam Cruise Bitch Thread . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Tell those bastards how you really feel
» the board..... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Complain about people complaining about people on the board on the board

Adding an avatar to your profile
These kind of sites change on a daily basis so you may have to google it.
These instructions worked on March 15, 2013.

1. Select an image in a common format such as .jpg
  2. Go to http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/
  3. Upload picture
  4. Set size to 100x100
  5. Press resize
  6. Look at cropping alternatives (may be identical). Pick your favorite, right click and Save As. You may want to rename it.
  7. Log in to the forum
  8. Upload avatar
  9. Make sure avatar dimensions are 100 x 100
  10. Press Submit

From http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/decks.php?ship=MSC%20Divina
Built 2012 Years old 1 Passengers 3502- 4202
Cabins 1751 Space Ratio 33 Tons 139400
Speed 23.0 Length 1094 Beam 124 Crew 1388

MSC Club deck 18 skipped

Deck 16............................................................Deck 15......................................................Deck 14
ImageImageImage

Cabin decks 8-13 skipped

Deck 7..............................................................Deck 6.......................................................Deck 5
ImageImageImage

Last edited by odman on Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 41 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Jam Cruise FAQ
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:18 pm 

:CLAP: Well done sir :CLAP: Well done :CLAP:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:43 am 

:CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:03 am 

Knut, you is alright.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:06 pm 

man i wish we would of know all this before we sailed 6x :DOH: :DOH:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:56 pm 

LIRR wrote:
man i wish we would of know all this before we sailed 6x :DOH: :DOH:

I know, right! ;)

I'm trying so hard to think of a question that has not been asked & answered..let's make it a game!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:58 am 

For heading into port, whats the current ship's displacement?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:34 am 

achalsey wrote:
For heading into port, whats the current ship's displacement?

89,900 metric tons.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:56 pm 

ok, hmmm. What's the average distance traveled of the cruises over all 9 trips? :twisted:

Quote:
I'm trying so hard to think of a question that has not been asked & answered..let's make it a game!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:07 pm 

LOL! see 'cause that's a question not a frequently asked one though hahaha!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:12 pm 

"What time is it?" <-- most frequently asked question on the ship :lol:

bring a watch!!! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:40 pm 

serk wrote:
"What time is it?" <-- most frequently asked question on the ship :lol:

bring a watch!!! ;)

In my experience, "where am I?" outnumbers "what time is it?" by about 3:2.
Next time I update the FAQ I'll put a red dot on it and the text "you are here". :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:24 pm 

When does the lineup get announced? Typically at JazzFest then via email shortly afterwards, if I remember correctly? I can't seem to find this answer! :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:37 pm 

Alright fine, a legit question I think I remember seeing.

I just found 15 mixed drink tickets (I think I panicked the last night when they said no more beer and only drink tickets will be accepted), will they be accepted on the next cruise?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:14 am 

Ya know, that actually was real honest to goodness question I was asking up there... ^ Was my guess/hazy memory correct? Does anyone know? Do we have dates from when the past ones were announced, like is so beautifully shown for the "when does the schedule come out" question in the FAQ?

I hate being ignored :P :SNOOTY:

As for the drink tickets, officially No. But we had talked a bunch on here about how you could get away with using the ones from previous years in dimly lit bars because they don't change the design... so they changed the design this year and we couldn't :lol: I guess that means the unofficial answer is now NO too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next